ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   where can i purchase a chip for my 97 uk turbo 2000 wagon ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/569223-where-can-i-purchase-a-chip-for-my-97-uk-turbo-2000-wagon.html)

rabskyline 28 December 2006 06:46 AM

where can i purchase a chip for my 97 uk turbo 2000 wagon ??

looking for the chip that goes onto the ecu board that is suitable for my motor...any ideas ?:) or if anyone has a suitable one can you email me at rabanjaq@btinternet.com with pic and price !

rabskyline 29 December 2006 04:44 PM

anyone ??:(

rabskyline 29 December 2006 10:18 PM

no one ??:confused: some one must know !

Terminator X 29 December 2006 10:34 PM

A chip is probably not a good idea ... ECU remap would be better?!

TX.

rabskyline 29 December 2006 10:42 PM

i thought you couldnt remap a 97 ecu ?

Maz 29 December 2006 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by rabskyline
i thought you couldnt remap a 97 ecu ?

I think Scoobyclinic cracked the early ecus and offer custom mapping for them.:thumb:

Maybe viable to get an Apexi power fc and get Andy F. to remap.

Alan MaC 30 December 2006 09:22 AM

I think Superchips do one.

They are on Superchips - Rediscover the joy of the open road

The only dealer in Scotland is in Glenrothes, Scotland Superchips.

Go onto Superchips Web click dealer & they have their own Web Site.

Good Luck.

Alan MaC

Terminator X 30 December 2006 09:24 AM

Superchips! IMHO it smacks of cheap fix ie doesn't cost a lot however doesn't deliver a lot either? Could be me that is a tw*t of course ...

TX.

Maz 30 December 2006 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Superchips! IMHO it smacks of cheap fix ie doesn't cost a lot however doesn't deliver a lot either? Could be me that is a tw*t of course ...

TX.

It isn't mate, Superchips have been getting away with this for years. They offer a custom mapped chip allegedly when infact it's just a fuel cut coupled with a pneumatic bleed valve. There is no alteration to the fuel/air ratio and whilst you will get more power undoubtedly it is a cheap fix and poor value for money. The Subaru isn't the only car they did this with in my experience the Rover T series turbo ecu was modded in the same way, fuel cut and tacky bleed valve.:thumb:

rabskyline 30 December 2006 01:23 PM

dont want the superchip option, ive seen them and offer 38bhp at best...it has 4 wires and isnt a bleed valve either, well not that i know of !....was offered one for 100 quid and knocked it back as it isnt what i am after...its the daughterboard type i am after but not a lot about unfortunately...if i was going to do a lot of modding then the apexi /gems is where i would go probably but i only really want just around the 280 mark as that means no big costing upgrades to go with it ! i have just had a decatted magnex fitted which was a friends and near new. filter next and after i get a chip thats it ! i had a drag spec type ra and was hard to live with on a daily basis hence the limited mods as i know what i want power/drive wise !here is my old type ra !
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00949Small.jpg

GC8 30 December 2006 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by rabskyline
...where can i purchase a chip for my 97 uk turbo 2000 wagon?...

You cant, unfortunately. Your best option will be an APEX'i PowerFC which should cost about £750 fitted and mapped from Andy Forrest. The ScoobyECU type products referred to only suit 1993-1996 MY cars Im afraid.

A Possum Link is available to suit a MY97 Impreza too..........

Simon

Shark Man 30 December 2006 07:01 PM

^ Yup MY97-MY98 ain't remappable without a piggy back ECU or a complete ECU change.

I should know, I have one of the uddy things :mad:

rabskyline 30 December 2006 09:22 PM

ah ****e !:razz: well thats it ! time to go !:lol1: i wil just have to find another mint early car from japan(again !!) :wonder:

GC8 30 December 2006 09:32 PM

Why? Both the Possum Link and the APEX'i are relativley economical and they both provide WAY better value than the mapable ScoobyECU-type products available (you can pay well over £500 for one after RR time!).

Simon

rabskyline 30 December 2006 09:45 PM

yeah, i checked scoobyclinic and its 480+vat for their piggy bvack thingy ! i dont want to spend 500 quid minimum on an apexi as i dont think the uk cars can take too much anyway so didnt see the point in 600-700 for 60bhp if you know what i mean. my old ra had the uprated work done to it already but was a bit harsh but shouldve kept it and replaced that final drive gear !. i want a little more but not too much as reliability suffers etc etc..so either i live with it or shop around for a fresh jap import sti...hmmmm acting like a brat now !:nono:

GC8 30 December 2006 09:46 PM

Im with you; Id assumed that you still had a JDM car as I had misread (barely read...) the original post.

Simon

rabskyline 30 December 2006 10:02 PM

so can you get a chip for the uk ?? as you thought it was a jap import ?? or am i getting confused now ??:wonder: cos scoobyclinic do one but as i said its 480+vat. i just wanted a plug and play job !:brickwall

Scott.T 30 December 2006 10:38 PM

If that is a pic of your white car above then it is a 96 model running a 97 plate/registration.
If thats the case then a ScoobyECU is do-able. Just plug the remapped chip into the spare socket in your ECU. It will push boost from 11.47psi to 16psi (approx).

Doh! ignore my comments above, just re-read your post and thats your old RA.....

GC8 30 December 2006 10:39 PM

Thats his old car Scott; that was why Id said 'Why sell?'. With the '97 your options are limited, UK or JDM.

rabskyline 30 December 2006 10:52 PM

THIS THREAD IS GETTING HILARIOUS !:lol1: AND ITS A 94 L PLATED WRX TYPE RA UP THERE :lol:
SO SCOTT, SIMON....ARE MY ONLY OPTIONS APEXI GEMS TYPE ECU REPLACEMENT OR CAN I USE A MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER TO GET TARGET OF 16.5 PSI OR IS THAT NOT GOOD..LOOKING FOR OTHER OPTIONS APART FROM TH EPRICEY ONES...IE CAN I REPLACE IT WITH ANOTHER IMPREZA ECU THAT CAN ACCOMODATE THE CHIP OR ARE THERE WIRING ISSUES ETC...

GC8 30 December 2006 11:01 PM

I believe that the only real option is a replacement ECU such as an APEX'i or a PossumLink.

rabskyline 30 December 2006 11:23 PM

CHEERS GUYS !:thumb: