ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Have you driven your Subaru un-insured??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/567952-have-you-driven-your-subaru-un-insured.html)

Moley 21 December 2006 02:30 PM

Have you driven your Subaru un-insured???

Would be interesting to see how many naughty people there are here!!!! :D

R34_GT-t 21 December 2006 02:36 PM

Oops, just voted... but voted for the naughty naughty one, as I read it wrong. :D

-1 to naughty. ;)

*Sonic* 21 December 2006 02:38 PM

Yes

But with very good reason, and I was on the road for approximately 20 seconds

Its not strictly true though, as the Scoob is insured still, just not insured for driving on the road, but I had to put it in the garage, which meant I had to drive on the public road ( I could have stayed on the pavement tho :D)

555Rob555 21 December 2006 02:42 PM

Not the Scoob no. But I might have possibly driven an unregistered, untaxed, uninsured 205 to Germany. :nono:

myblackwrx 21 December 2006 03:20 PM

I would never drive my (or any car) uninsured tbh my scooby is relatively cheap to insure (£485 fully comp large excess though 33yo with a few mods)

Tidgy 21 December 2006 03:23 PM

my dad has driven my scoob, and although he wasn't insured specificly he was covered 3rd prty by his own policy.

would never drive mine without insurance, just not worth the risk and hassel of either having a smash or being pulled, plus couldn't afford to replace it out of my back pocket lol

RoRu 21 December 2006 05:46 PM

Anyone driving a car that's de-catted which by law should have a cat is technically uninsured as far as I'm aware.

Not preaching as i did it myself for 6yrs.

Good boy now though.

cookstar 21 December 2006 05:51 PM

I very much doubt anyone will admit to driving their scoob properly with no insurance on here.

You get flamed to death if you say you drive at 71 MPH on the motorway :D

I spent 5 years being arse raped by insurance companies while i had a IN10 conviction, wont be getting another one of them. :)

Scoobyslammed 21 December 2006 05:58 PM

No... thanks to you Gaz...

nik52wrx 21 December 2006 06:04 PM

Are we to take it you have :wonder:

Me....No chance as i wouldn't want the car uninsured at any time as i cant really afford to lose 15k's worth of car.
Nik.

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Would be interesting to see how many naughty people there are here!!!! :D

spec-cie 21 December 2006 09:00 PM

I did once by accident. I'd been working abroad for a couple of months and got home to a huge pile of mail. Decided to sort through it later because I wanted to check the car was okay after being left standing for so long and ended up going for a bit of a blast. When I got around to opening my mail later that day I found a renewal notice for my policy that had expired the day before. Oops :cuckoo:

Bubba po 21 December 2006 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by RoRu
Anyone driving a car that's de-catted which by law should have a cat is technically uninsured as far as I'm aware.

Not preaching as i did it myself for 6yrs.

Good boy now though.

Don't think so. Just because it can't pass an MOT doesn't mean it's uninsured. If that were the case, thousands of cars that fail their MOT every year would have been driven without insurance for a period, which would be untenable.

MrRA 21 December 2006 11:29 PM

Would never consider it.

electricracer 22 December 2006 01:12 AM

just hope none of you are driving at moment with no insurance. police tecnology means if you drive past a police car or roadside camera it comes up on computer NO INSURANCE (also mot or tax) then you car is immediately seized if you dont pay fine and get insurance then its CRUSHED.
ther is no way to get round this they have even started to link number plate recognition cameras in petrol stations to police computer.
so if you dont go to petrol stations and can garantee that you wont see a police car or roadside camera then you might get away with it. on the flipside how gutted would you be if a non insured driver ran into you totaled your car and injured you or even killed a passenger. cant afford insurance get a cheaper car!

LUCKO 22 December 2006 01:20 AM

drove an imported type-r 100 miles, no insurance/tax/mot or uk registration number

not proud of it, just glad had no incidents

DaveD 22 December 2006 01:26 AM

Did so unknowingly for around a month a few years ago.

I was in the process of moving job and enquired with my insurance company what the change in premium would be for a potential new address, but to keep things as they were for the time being. This happened to co-incide with my insurance renewal, and I had already received a letter to say that they would automatically renew, unless I contacted them to adivse otherwise.

Anyway, it was a few weeks before I did eventually change address, and I duly called my insurance again to pass on the new details.....I was a bit shocked when they then told me that the renewal had been cancelled due to my previous phone call!! I took out a new policy immediately.

chocolate_o_brian 22 December 2006 07:10 AM

when i bought my wrx from leicester in may i drove home to scunny without insurance... i know naughty, but the insurer i was with didnt quote me on it, so i had another internet based insurer at the ready, but no phone number lol until i got home. bit risky but i drove like a nanny.

CrisPDuk 22 December 2006 07:19 AM

Never:D

Well once or twice, but it was only up and down the our road once in a while to keep the brakes free during the 12mth period it was sorned.

If you saw the collection of producers & breathalyser tubes:eek: I have from my reckless youth, you'd know I never thought it worth the risk:)

p@ul 22 December 2006 09:35 AM

Never in a million years its cost me tooooo much to risk something daft like that :)

supertouring 22 December 2006 09:42 AM

Only on trackday and at the Ring, technically uninsured for those.

Oh, and recently when I forgot to get my MOT and ended up getting it 3 months late.

Too many APNR vans around these days.

Tidgy 22 December 2006 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by supertouring
Only on trackday and at the Ring, technically uninsured for those.

Oh, and recently when I forgot to get my MOT and ended up getting it 3 months late.

Too many APNR vans around these days.

unless your insurance cert specificly says you can't drive on the ring your covered, min 3rd part (and they cannot legaly block the claim, there are many cases of this happening and insurers fighting hammer and nail to stop the claim but failed in court).

the ring is a puplic toll road, like the m6 north of birmingham ;)

redwrx 22 December 2006 09:47 AM

No - thanks to A-Plan, insurance is affordable.

kingofturds 22 December 2006 10:34 AM

Taken her to France a couple of times and forgot to tell the insurance company. not that those croissant eating garlic loving *******s could catch me anyway:p

Gear Head 22 December 2006 11:11 AM

Only did it once.... and I got caught!
We had just fitted a new gearbox and clutch to a friends mk2 golf gti 8v.
I didn't even think and went to take it round the block to make sure everything was ok.
After about 50 yards I passed a parked police car. It then proceeded to follow me and pull me over.
At that point I though 'sh&t, i'm b&ggered!'
She then made me drive back home to prove that I was just 'testing the car'.
Luckily my mates were still there in their grubby overalls! At that point, I thought she was going to let me off...... but no!

The police officer still issued me with a producer!

So, the next day, off I tot to the local station with my policy and a copy of my mates policy (neither of which covered me to drive the car!).
I really thought I was going to get the standard fine along with 6 points.

I gave all my details to the police woman behind the desk, she had look and quietly pointed out that I was not covered on either policy. I then explained what happened (almost on my knees!). The very nice officer then looked me in the eyes (there was another officer not far away) and said, 'Oh, there you are, looks like you were covered!)

I wanted to kiss her (even if she was a bit of a munter!)

So, lesson learned. NEVER DRIVE UN-INSURED......EVER!
You might get off, you might not!

Budgie 22 December 2006 11:20 AM

wouldnt dream of it

budgie

David_Wallis 22 December 2006 11:48 AM

Yep.

But only to move it ;)

555wrx 22 December 2006 06:23 PM

Have been caught out by ' insurance technicalities' in the past...unless it now states that Im fully insured, I wont risk it.

GC8 22 December 2006 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by LUCKO
drove an imported type-r 100 miles, no insurance/tax/mot or uk registration number

not proud of it, just glad had no incidents

Back from Blackpool? If so then you cant really have been certain that youd be getting a car to drive (or not be locked-up actually!).

Simon

COLZO 22 December 2006 11:40 PM

Anyone who drives any car uninsured is an ar$ehole. :mad:

BedHog 22 December 2006 11:53 PM

I once got 6 points for no Insurance.

Bought an Austin Maxi that had a good body but wouldn't drive - intending to swap the engine from the Maxi I'd been given (recon engine, rotten as hell).

Car looked ok - so paid the cash. Went back to the car (which was parked on the road) and was wondering how I could get it home (as it wouldn't drive) and a copper pulled up. Asked if it was my car - yes, I said - just bought it, and he gave me a producer - why!? Obviously I had no insurance having bought it 2 minutes ago, but as it was parked on a public highway I got 6 points. Hated the police since then (1987)

Apart from that I have never and never would drive with no insurance.

The new computerized system of checking number plates instantly against insurance/tax/mot is brilliant. I just wish they would take it one step further and crush any car driving illegally - no excuses and no chance to get out of it.