ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   help!! oil everywhere! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/566994-help-oil-everywhere.html)

mike h 17 December 2006 10:40 AM

help!! oil everywhere!

Help me please! I've got a 1994 jap wrx. I was out driving last night when i lost boost and it started missing. Lifted the bonnet and seen oil all round the back left of the engine. Any ideas??

Tomo1234 17 December 2006 04:35 PM

What did the engine run like at idle?

mike h 17 December 2006 07:03 PM

sounds like its on 3 cylinders, other than that it idles ok. Started it up this morning and i was greeted by a huge smoke screen.

Mark2wrx 17 December 2006 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mike h
sounds like its on 3 cylinders, other than that it idles ok. Started it up this morning and i was greeted by a huge smoke screen.

Check pipes around the turbo,,boost pipes and oil feed and return pipes ..could be a split in one of them..:)

Tomo1234 17 December 2006 07:53 PM

check plugs, turbo seals may have gone and blown a load of oil into cylinders contaminating plug gaps. as the above guy says id check the HP oil feed into the turbo couldve split, which also means your turbo is probably knackerd, depending on what you where doing at the time

mike h 17 December 2006 09:53 PM

all pipes seem sound. Pulled some breather pipes off and gave him a rev. Bellowing out white smoke. Speaking to some guys i know and they seem to think i've killed the turbo and the oil is getting into the breathers. Would this happen?
You'll have to excuse my lack of turbo knowledge, this is my first scooby!

Tomo1234 17 December 2006 11:06 PM

If its white smoke its oil and water mixed together, odds are you have annihalated the seals which prevent the oil and water that lubricate and cool the main bearing from entering the inlet and exhaust of the engine. What is the state of the inside of the Air tubes on the high pressure side of the turbo? if there is a coating of oil on the inside of them then your seals are gone and you need a new turbo or rebuild turbo.

mike h 21 December 2006 05:36 PM

took the scooby back to the garage, problem was the o/s head gasket had gone. He's asured me my turbo is fine and the oil was entering the cylinder hence the smoke and firing on 3. Said i had lost boost due to loss of compression. Engine is currently sitting on his workbench awaiting new gaskets.
Does the loss of boost due to loss of compression sound right?

KenS55STI 22 December 2006 11:52 AM

When a head gasket goes you can lose the pressure from within the cylinder so performing a compression test will show there is low compression. If the break occurs between 2 cylinders then you will lose the pressure of the 2. It doesn't matter how much boost the turbo produces if there is a leak then compression will be down.

mike h 22 December 2006 03:39 PM

so not enough gases to drive the turbine?

mike h 28 December 2006 08:36 PM

problem sorted now. Had 2 new head gaskets fitted along with new cam belt.
Running like a dream again!
Also had a bonus too.....when he stripped it down he discovered i have an apexi turbo.
Thanks for your help though guys.