ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How to avoid a hangover, any tips, don't drink is not an option (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/566728-how-to-avoid-a-hangover-any-tips-dont-drink-is-not-an-option.html)

Lee247 16 December 2006 12:12 AM

How to avoid a hangover, any tips, don't drink is not an option

You can't go to a party and not drink :D
Any suggestions :wonder:

P1Fanatic 16 December 2006 12:13 AM

Pint of milk before you go out and force yourself to drink a pint of water minimum before you go to bed.

Simon

Lee247 16 December 2006 12:14 AM

A pint of water, on top of a full stomach of booze :eek: Is it possible???

hectic 16 December 2006 12:15 AM

large glass of Tomato juice before.... and plenty of water after :)

wongascoob 16 December 2006 12:17 AM

plenty of water and 2 annadin b4 bed..prepare for the worst!!

Ben v7 16 December 2006 12:45 AM

drink light coloured spirits - less toxins than in the dark ones

never had a hang over off vodka really bar the occassion of alcohol posioning (different kettle of fish altogether)

generally eat a meal before hand... pint of milk is okay. Drinking water before going to bed really is worthwhile, unless your way past that point, in which case a hangover is inevitable anyway.

*Sonic* 16 December 2006 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by 84of300
A pint of water, on top of a full stomach of booze :eek: Is it possible???

Yep, cos generally you will be dehydrated or something like that

Best cure for a hangover is to not stop drinking :)

Tam the bam 16 December 2006 12:54 AM

Yeah stay drunk :thumb:

fatherpierre 16 December 2006 12:56 AM

Pint of Stella when you wake up in the morning ;)

Shark Man 16 December 2006 12:58 AM

I find Port doesn't give bad hang overs, not that I intended to finish the night off by drinking several bottles, but hey if the beer runs out...;)

CrisPDuk 16 December 2006 01:04 AM

When I was younger and still living with the folks, I used to find that a plate of liver & onions, as cooked by my Dad:thumb: would absorb anything I could throw down on top of it:D In theory though, any carbohydrate laden meal will do:)

The following was advised to me by a doctor when I told him I was coming here to work. It's to avoid heatstroke really, but strangely heat & alcohol have generally the same effect on your body systems:)

The main cause of a hangover is dehydration, because alcohol is a diuretic, so drinking the odd glass of water between drinks through the night will keep your fluid loss to a minimum. This is why drinking a lot of water before you go to bed helps too.

Then in the morning you need to replace all the essential salts that got carried out in the water with all the previous nights p!ssing. So get a good breakfast, full english (highly recommended), yoghurt, fruit, whatever floats your boat really, just get some food in there to soak up the residual booze and replenish your energy levels. Sports drinks such as Lucozade Isotonic work really well too:thumb:

Scoob99 16 December 2006 08:44 AM

Lucozade:eek:

mickywrx 16 December 2006 08:50 AM

Hair of the dog ;):D

CrisPDuk 16 December 2006 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Lucozade:eek:

Not the nasty tasting yellow sh!t:nono:

The stuff in that's allegedly in the blue bottles that get chucked to football players every five minutes. You can get it in either bottles or the foil packs, and it's fantastic for perking you up enough to get a proper breakfast inside you:thumb:

Ben v7 16 December 2006 08:54 AM

Good explanation CrisPDuk. :thumb:

If do find loads of orange juice and a fry up works wonders in the morning after a hang over. A can of coke also can make me feel better.

SJ_Skyline 16 December 2006 09:04 AM

Drink in moderation or is that not an option either? ;)

Ben v7 16 December 2006 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Drink in moderation or is that not an option either? ;)

Drinking on an 'it's your round now basis' means your often at the mercy of the big drinkers who set the pace. Then someone starts getting shooters and chasers etc...

SJ_Skyline 16 December 2006 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ben v7
Drinking on an 'it's your round now basis' means your often at the mercy of the big drinkers who set the pace. Then someone starts getting shooters and chasers etc...

:lol1:

I set my own pace, damned if I'm rushing to keep up with anybody else. I learned my lesson years ago trying to keep up with rugby players. Never again!!! :D

...and on that note, I'm off up the gym - another good cure :)

Scoobychick 16 December 2006 09:38 AM

RU21 worked for me :thumb: I took one or two pills (can't remember now) with each alchoholic drink I had and surprisingly the next day I felt much better than I would've normally :) I got mine in Boots.

RU21 the true story

David Lock 16 December 2006 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I find Port doesn't give bad hang overs, not that I intended to finish the night off by drinking several bottles, but hey if the beer runs out...;)

Well we're all different then. I used to find Port an absolute killer :)

=========

Try not to mix drinks too much and force yourself to drink as much water as you can before collapsing - best to leave pint glass by your bedside or else you will forget. And lock the wardrobe door before you go out :D

Edit. Sorry 84 - just realised. Above tip for gentlemen :lol1:

Lydia72 16 December 2006 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock
And lock the wardrobe door before you go out :D

I think it's just men that do that :lol1:

Paul3446 16 December 2006 09:44 AM

A meal and some non alcoholic fluid before you start, then drink Vodka with lemonade all night, if you get to the stage where you're "coming over a little queer!" :Suspiciou then just have a lemonade with no vodka in it, to give yourself a chance to sober up a bit.

When you finish drinking stay up for a while and have 2 or 3 glasses of water.

This will guarantee that you do not get a hangover. :thumb:

David Lock 16 December 2006 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I think it's just men that do that :lol1:

:D yeah just realised. Bit early for me :)

Oh and I'm told a Bullshot or 3 helps with morning brekky. Vodka and Consomme IIRC.

powerman1 16 December 2006 10:04 AM

dont go to bed youll never wake up with an hang over

andy97 16 December 2006 10:21 AM

drink beer not lager and a pint of water before bed, in the morning a big fry up :thumb:

Lee247 16 December 2006 10:26 AM

:lol1: :lol1:
Thanks all

Leslie 16 December 2006 12:00 PM

Dont mix them too much and the advice about the milk before and plenty of water to dilute it all is good too.

Happy Christmas :)

Les

Chip 16 December 2006 12:39 PM

Take some Dioralite before going to bed. This will replace all the lost minerals and rehydrate you. Trust me, it work's :)

Chip

Gutmann pug 16 December 2006 03:24 PM

Whatever you start drinking is what you should drink all night.

New_scooby_04 16 December 2006 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Pint of milk before you go out and force yourself to drink a pint of water minimum before you go to bed.

Simon

Mmmmm, beer flavoured yoghurt!! :eek: :D

Only one way to avoid a hangover, and you've excluded that. :lol1:

Eating properly will help, as will staying hydrated, throughout the night by drinking water as well as booze. Steer clear of beer, the sheer volume of liquid that you need to get drunk will always make you feel bloated and it's full of s**t!. Spirits and cocktails are much better, though you should avoid going between beer/wine/spirits and don't mix red and white wine (instant headache). Decent quality white wine/spirits are more pure and won't make you feel as bad. Have a bar of chocolate on the ready for the after-effects (alcohol raises your blood sugar and then dumps it) and get some alka seltzer ready for the morning after and plan on spending some time recovering in bed (or at least not doing much). Nothing cures a hangover like a decent fry up :lol1:

On a serious note: the liver can only process about 1 unit of alcohol an hour, so if you are going out to get plastered, make sure you allow sufficient time to sober up the next morning before driving anywhere!

Have fun and take care!! :thumb: