ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Reclaiming Bank Charges (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/566506-reclaiming-bank-charges.html)

R4LLY 14 December 2006 10:51 PM

Reclaiming Bank Charges

Just found this very useful page on the BBC website about reclaiming any bank charges incurred and even has document templates for you. You can reclaim any charges from the past six years!:thumb:
BBC NEWS | Business | How to claim back penalty charges

a_fisher 14 December 2006 11:00 PM

This was on TV the other night, it was very interesting. Just goes to show you can't trust anyone not to pull scams

muzza6464 14 December 2006 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by R4LLY
Just found this very useful page on the BBC website about reclaiming any bank charges incurred and even has document templates for you. You can reclaim any charges from the past six years!:thumb:

thanks i think christmas has come even earlier i must have a charge every 2 weeks wooops :norty:

RAPID RABBIT 14 December 2006 11:44 PM

i think to get a history of your chargers you must pay a small fee, then i think you willl be lucky to get anything back.

speedking 15 December 2006 12:09 AM

Another thread.

madbint68 15 December 2006 12:15 AM

this sounds good but surely the banks must have somthing in the small print giving them the right to charge us all.

what about halifax building society can we all claim back from them ? if so they owe me a fortune :lol1:

muzza6464 15 December 2006 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by madbint68
this sounds good but surely the banks must have somthing in the small print giving them the right to charge us all.

what about halifax building society can we all claim back from them ? if so they owe me a fortune :lol1:

who needs the lottery with our credit rateing:)

speye91 15 December 2006 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by madbint68

Halifax,yes i am in my third week of claming against them .

over 4 years,i have been charged £2862.84.

The last offer was £2400,i declined.

Awaiting next offer if it does not cover the charges & intrest,i will threaten them with the court action.:thumb:

sarasquares 15 December 2006 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by R4LLY

here is some more info here.....
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...bery-bbc2.html

scoobywrxuk300 15 December 2006 09:04 AM

It is definatly worth having this online banking, I just checked my last 4 years statements with HSBC, £557.00 In charges. I can account for say £150.00 of them but the rest are bewildering me:wonder: .

This took me from signing up to online banking approx 30 mins.

It might have been answered already, Can we apply this to credit cards etc?

mark

molko 15 December 2006 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by scoobywrxuk300
It is definatly worth having this online banking, I just checked my last 4 years statements with HSBC, £557.00 In charges. I can account for say £150.00 of them but the rest are bewildering me:wonder: .

This took me from signing up to online banking approx 30 mins.

It might have been answered already, Can we apply this to credit cards etc?

mark

Yes it does apply to Credit Cards !

MY00PPP 15 December 2006 10:56 AM

I can't make up my mind whether to claim (£450 ish) over the last 6 years or not.

Ok, the bank might payout. equally though they might get the hump and take my 5 grand overdraft of me. 1-1!

InvisibleMan 15 December 2006 11:57 AM

is this now a case of money grabbing opportunists who are incompetent in financing their money. how do they distinquish genuine cases of that mysterious 4 day void from the people who cant be bothered to pay on time?
Now with this im sure theres going to be more people that arent going to pay their bills, buy loads of stuff & go in the red knowing they can get it back...

bugeyeandy 15 December 2006 12:05 PM

I think you've misread it mate, this is about the banks charging a £30 admin charge for going a penny overdrawn or refusing a direct debit.
The actual cost to the banks was calculated at £2.5 due to it being entirely computerised.
UK law insists that banks must only charge the actual cost to them when passing on admin charges to customers and suprise,surprise they've been ripping off their customers for years.
You can go 1p overdrawn and be charged £30 a day until it's sorted with some banks due to them automatically retrying to withdraw direct debits. 1p becomes £31.01 becomes £61.01 etc... For someone on not a lot of money who's slipped up by a few pence it then becomes impossible to recover from.
Banks make billions of pounds straight profit each year, they won't miss a few million paying back charges they ripped off from their customers.

InvisibleMan 15 December 2006 12:16 PM

i guess i had, just missing to connection with those claims that are in the 1000's. Maybe theyve just never queried a payment before.
I've only had to query it half dozen times, but i do it in the week it happens. Theyve seen ive paid in full & as its generally been on a day or so over theyve reembersed. The odd occasion where i 'just havent gotten round to it' i havent tried to reclaim cos i figure ive just been a lazy arse. Maybe i should...

speedystu 17 December 2006 04:06 PM

funk in ell on line banking is grate i have just found out my 2 accounts add up to £1630 and thats only going back 4 years ( what will i spend the dosh on???????????????????????????????????????......... .................

scoobywrxuk300 17 December 2006 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by speedystu
funk in ell on line banking is grate i have just found out my 2 accounts add up to £1630 and thats only going back 4 years ( what will i spend the dosh on???????????????????????????????????????......... .................

I found in four years about £600... thing is now tho, im going to open new account before i send letter off...

and if you get your car re-mapped, dont tell P Lewis :thumb:

Fuzz 17 December 2006 06:17 PM

Just checked online myself, and in the last 6 years, (conveniently how long I've been with HSBC) I've been charged a total of £1973.08 :eek2:

Andy

Simon C 17 December 2006 06:22 PM

I'm seroiusly going to have to look into this, I hate to think how much I was charged when I was a student!!

Think I have the last 6 years of statements.

sunflowerkiss 17 December 2006 06:28 PM

I managed to go overdrawn last week and got the letter telling me how they had charged me £28 for going £2 overdrawn, I politely pointed out that by law they are only allowed to charge me a nominal fee for this and guess what..........Refunded immediately without any fuss.

It does work and the banks can not refuse you

Simon C 19 December 2006 10:32 PM

Just did mine today, and I have to say I was shocked!!! It onlu came to just over £600!!! I though I'd be looking at a couple of grand (being a skint student and all that)

brumdaisy 02 January 2007 01:02 PM

Has anybody who banks with alliance and leicester tried this? I sent my letters over a month ago and not heard anything :(

MattW 02 January 2007 01:43 PM

How come you have all been charged so much, my charges add up to a big fat zero.

brumdaisy 02 January 2007 01:48 PM

because you are organised with your money and look after it whilst the rest of us are too busy having a life ;) :p

MattW 02 January 2007 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
because you are organised with your money and look after it whilst the rest of us are too busy having a life ;) :p

Ah I see, thanks for that ;)

HKSubaru 02 January 2007 07:35 PM

what online banking did u use to check, i bank with hsbc and it only let me go back for like a month!

babber 03 January 2007 04:53 PM

Only read this yesterday and got to be honest, I'm well pleased. Popped up HSBC to see my normally rather smug bank manager, to explain I'm not happy. Funnily enough he didn't look happy and I was rather smug.

I can't find hardly any bank statements, so have handed him the letter requesting the charges information and transactions on my account. He signed to say he'd received it ;) Told me HSBC have a central team to deal with these kind of issues.

What I did have fun telling him about was all the dramas and upsets they've caused me and my family to live through in the last few years. Also mentioned that half the time it was there charges that caused my payments to be rejected.

Anyway, will be waiting on my statements and take from there.

My G/F is claiming £730 plus 5% interested. Just printed her letter off and it looks great ;)

Thanks for the heads up on this one chaps :rolleyes:

Phill

Stephb1986 03 January 2007 05:17 PM

i know that if you complain to tsb and woolwich that they will close your bank account without you getting any of your reclaimed bank charges as when you sign for the bank account its in one the conditions :)

stevem2k 03 January 2007 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by HKSubaru
what online banking did u use to check, i bank with hsbc and it only let me go back for like a month!

HSBC online for personal banking go back 6 years , handy that :)

babber 03 January 2007 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
i know that if you complain to tsb and woolwich that they will close your bank account without you getting any of your reclaimed bank charges as when you sign for the bank account its in one the conditions :)

How can they close your account when you have an overdraft? Offer you a loan to close it?

So how come "some" banks will pay it back and others won't?

Phill

PS Then surely going to another bank is the solution if your in credit?