ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Drink Driving (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/566383-drink-driving.html)

2000TLondon 14 December 2006 01:50 PM

Drink Driving

A couple of paramedics I spoke with yesterday went to a car wreck a couple of nights ago. Two young guys in an SUV that was stood on it's front end with it's roof resting against a tree. They were both very drunk and the driver had lost control.

It took an hour to cut them out! Both were severly injured.

Sadly one lost a leg and the other was paralysed.

Just something to think about during the party season!

MattW 14 December 2006 01:51 PM

Must have been well sozzled not to be able to control an Auto on a straight road ;)

davegtt 14 December 2006 01:56 PM

They have trees in Texas? blimy that will have me thinking for weeks ;) :thumb:

stilover 14 December 2006 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
A couple of paramedics I spoke with yesterday went to a car wreck a couple of nights ago. Two young guys in an SUV that was stood on it's front end with it's roof resting against a tree. They were both very drunk and the driver had lost control.

It took an hour to cut them out! Both were severly injured.

Just something to think about during the party season!

Yeah, bet the 2 guys in the crashed SUV don't feel so clever now.

TBH I used to drink and drive, many years ago (my dad used to so I thought nothing of it) not completely legless, but certainly 3 or 4 pints, until I got a couple scares.
Driving through the local town back from the takeaway, I went past a parked up traffic car. If they'd pulled me, I'd have been banned. Just a week or 2 later, in the same town, I passed another parked up cop car that as soon as I drove passed it, it put it's lights on and pulled out. That was it I thought, License gone. Luckily it passed me by obviously to a call.

Never drunk and drove since. Every now and then I might have a half, or a pint if I'm having a meal, but thats it.

I was stupid then, but got away with it. Just lucky I didn't get pulled or crashed.

Old man got caught a few years back. He was just over, and got an 18 month ban. He's never drunk and drove again either.

OllyK 14 December 2006 02:05 PM

Maybe I'm being calous by what's sad about the removal of a drunk driver from the roads?

falkster 14 December 2006 03:12 PM

Its not worth it!!! And not thinking selfishly about what might happen to yourself but what you could do to someone else.

I had an aunt that was killed by a drunk driver and he didnt go home until he had sobered up.....made up some story about thinking he had hit a fox or something and thats why he didnt stop.

No prison sentence for him!!

Got a good kickin from my dad though.

King RA 14 December 2006 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
Maybe I'm being calous by what's sad about the removal of a drunk driver from the roads?

That's bordering on moronic as opposed to callous. We all make mistakes.

Dazza01 14 December 2006 03:41 PM

Sadly one lost a leg.

Ah well, least he will be legless all the time now and he won't need a drink to help him either

OllyK 14 December 2006 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by King RA
That's bordering on moronic as opposed to callous. We all make mistakes.

A mistake is missing 3rd gear and getting 5th, driving while pissed is reckless and irresponsible. It's these kind of people that mow innocent people down, killing them and then get a suspended sentence or a couple of years in jail.

New_scooby_04 14 December 2006 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dazza01
Ah well, least he will be legless all the time now and he won't need a drink to help him either

Harsh, but fair!

Yes, we do all make mistakes, but there are mistakes and then there are mistakes. Everyone knows about the dangers of drink driving. If you're going to be drinking, leave the car at home, if you can afford to drink, you can afford a cab! Simple as!

Bottom line: You drink and drive, you're a selfish prat, you deserve what you get! The same cannot be said for your passengers (assuming they didn't know you'd been drinking) and any other poor sod that happens to be in your vacinity at the wrong time.

Ns " I am the law" 04

King RA 14 December 2006 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
A mistake is missing 3rd gear and getting 5th, driving while pissed is reckless and irresponsible. It's these kind of people that mow innocent people down, killing them and then get a suspended sentence or a couple of years in jail.

As well as people that fall asleep, people tuning their radio's, people on mobile phones and just plain crap drivers to name a few. Due you have a smug sense of satisfaction when they run into a tree and lose limbs too or is it just the people that have had a drink??

King RA 14 December 2006 04:45 PM

And I bet both of you have at least once made the same 'mistake' as them.

OllyK 14 December 2006 05:04 PM

No, if I'm drinking I don't drive, it's that simple.

Shark Man 14 December 2006 05:08 PM

It's the price of not engaging your brain, unfortunately. Just thankfully that his "mistake" didn't cause him to crash into a sober responsbile motorist or mow down any pedestrians.

New_scooby_04 14 December 2006 05:20 PM

No, not ever.

If I plan on having a drink the car stays at home. Always!

If I've taken the car, I don't drink, not even a drop!

Ns04

Jay m A 14 December 2006 05:22 PM

Nobody has even thought about the tree in all this :(

Poor tree.

davegtt 14 December 2006 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jay m A

Poor tree.

Told ya, the story is fixtional anyway, in Texas they dont have trees or cars, its horse and cart at best :thumb:

New_scooby_04 14 December 2006 05:26 PM

Poor tree.

That's because it didn't loose any limbs! ;) :D

Ns04

Jay m A 14 December 2006 05:28 PM

But think of the trauma :D

New_scooby_04 14 December 2006 05:30 PM

But think of the trauma :D

It'll keep me awake at night! :lol1:

Ns04

mart360 14 December 2006 06:09 PM

I have no sympathy for anyone who drink drives, there is no need, full stop.

anyone who gives it the "i can drink 6 pints and not be affected is a bullsh*tter"

you don't need to be affected to loose your licence!!! the limit is there for a reason, i cant understand why people feel they have to get as close to it as they can...

as far as i,m concerned anyone who drink drives and has an accident where someone is killed, should be charged with murder.

Mart

scoobchrissy 14 December 2006 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
I have no sympathy for anyone who drink drives, there is no need, full stop.

anyone who gives it the "i can drink 6 pints and not be affected is a bullsh*tter"

you don't need to be affected to loose your licence!!! the limit is there for a reason, i cant understand why people feel they have to get as close to it as they can...

as far as i,m concerned anyone who drink drives and has an accident where someone is killed, should be charged with murder.

Mart

Dont know about charged with murder, but the rest is :thumb: