ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   What is tramlining? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/565075-what-is-tramlining.html)

WR1JLD 08 December 2006 10:17 PM

What is tramlining?

Hi all

What is tramlining and how do you eliminate it please?

Julian

Tidgy 08 December 2006 10:20 PM

tramlining is when a car is difficult to steer and just pulls in a straight line or follows a groove in the road. can be caused by too wide wheels, groves in the road (travel along the inside lane ont he m1 where lorrys have been and you'll feel exactly what it is).

WR1JLD 08 December 2006 10:27 PM

Cheers mate

wrx,sti 08 December 2006 10:45 PM

I find on my car that when the tread on the tyres get low then they start to tram-line.

pippyrips 08 December 2006 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by WR1JLD
Hi all

Julian

if you car comes over on RE070 rubber (which it probably will) you will probably get it yourself. Easy cure is to change the tyre type

Silver Scooby Sport 09 December 2006 11:53 AM

A decent wheel alignment with help to stop the wandering when the car is under load as well... powerstation will be able to sort that out Julian :thumb: but as Rob has said it can be influenced by what brand of rubber is fitted on the car.
Rob am I correct in thinking a lot of peeps use the RE070's for summer use ?

pippyrips 09 December 2006 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
A decent wheel alignment with help to stop the wandering when the car is under load as well... powerstation will be able to sort that out Julian :thumb: but as Rob has said it can be influenced by what brand of rubber is fitted on the car.
Rob am I correct in thinking a lot of peeps use the RE070's for summer use ?

It is a summer tyre so if you want to have seperate summer/winter wheels then keep them for summer. Mine were dangerous in the wet.

WR1JLD 11 December 2006 12:14 AM

Cheers si...

Rob what rubber are you using? and are you on 235's 17's

pippyrips 11 December 2006 09:04 AM

Cheers si...

Rob what rubber are you using? and are you on 235's 17's

Goodyear Eagle F1's - 225 45 18's - quality tyre

valley commando 11 December 2006 10:07 PM

Hi all

Julian

i'l have them off you fella if the price is right;)
i'm looking for a set:thumb:
the tyre is very flat so any grooves in the road the car will want to stay in :wonder:
like the bus lane or the inside lane on a motorway
not to everybodies liking but i like a lot:D

L55 REP 11 December 2006 11:40 PM

try driving a coach to london along the M4 on the inside lane its not fun when its windy...... the coach wants you to stay in the "tramline" but the wind wants you out.......

result...... coach slightly lifting out then geting sucked back into the grove.....
not fun.... i try an stay in the middle lane... at least it gives a good excuse for the BMW drivers to sit in the BMW lane lol

KJD Mk1 11 December 2006 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by newport_white_scooby
try driving a coach to london along the M4 on the inside lane its not fun when its windy...... the coach wants you to stay in the "tramline" but the wind wants you out.......

result...... coach slightly lifting out then geting sucked back into the grove.....
not fun.... i try an stay in the middle lane... at least it gives a good excuse for the BMW drivers to sit in the BMW lane lol

Hello mate, long time no hear, how you keeping?

L55 REP 11 December 2006 11:52 PM

fooking busy fella lol,,,,
on the lookout for a new car but a scooby i doupt
(hides head..... prob be a chrysler 300c)

KJD Mk1 11 December 2006 11:55 PM

fooking busy fella lol,,,,
on the lookout for a new car but a scooby i doupt
(hides head..... prob be a chrysler 300c)

Wow Thats a BIG car, I like um:cool:

L55 REP 12 December 2006 12:01 AM

yup it will complete my line up then i will have a 4 seat exec car 8 seat exec minicoach etc all the way up to a 52 seat exec coach.
i might get a cheap import wrx as a "toy" but still toying with the idea.

KJD Mk1 12 December 2006 12:05 AM

yup it will complete my line up then i will have a 4 seat exec car 8 seat exec minicoach etc all the way up to a 52 seat exec coach.
i might get a cheap import wrx as a "toy" but still toying with the idea.

Can I come and drive for you on weekends:notworthy :notworthy

L55 REP 12 December 2006 12:10 AM

lol im on a good crack with rail replacment at the mo ive had coaches parked up all day in newport train station doing nothing and earning me a good sum ....
you can sit on one of them all day if you want lol,,,,,,,

the vosa/police had a big crackdown on limos the other week so we might get busy with people being put off using them and want an easy life an book a minibus .. you got a PSV wink wink lol

KJD Mk1 12 December 2006 12:13 AM

lol im on a good crack with rail replacment at the mo ive had coaches parked up all day in newport train station doing nothing and earning me a good sum ....
you can sit on one of them all day if you want lol,,,,,,,

the vosa/police had a big crackdown on limos the other week so we might get busy with people being put off using them and want an easy life an book a minibus .. you got a PSV wink wink lol

I dont want to drive the ruddy bus i want to drive the 300:D

Someone else told me they pulled loads off the road, you dont half see some tatty ones around now:nono:

L55 REP 12 December 2006 12:22 AM

about bloody time too there were some right rogues running them. but they still need some sort of regulations set up to stop the monkeys out there using crap deathtraps.

i know what you meant fella lol,,,,,
if i do get it i will keep you in mind if your serious though....

L55 REP 12 December 2006 12:23 AM

oh an i dont run "busses" i run "executive coaches" if you dont mind sir...lol

KJD Mk1 12 December 2006 12:24 AM

if i do get it i will keep you in mind if your serious though....

:thumb:

L55 REP 12 December 2006 12:28 AM

we can have a chat over a pint tomorrow fella ... or should i say later... fooking hell i need sleep lol but i got a pick up at 2.30am from the tiger tiger club in cardiff lol