ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   321Bhp in ya scoob!! is it reliable??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/56504-321bhp-in-ya-scoob-is-it-reliable.html)

stiscooby 27 November 2001 09:57 PM

I am looking around for an Impreza and have just spotted a 1997 WRX STI for sale, it has 321Bhp!!
How reliable is this sort of power for a scooby? I have not phoned them up yet so I don’t know what mods have been done…..thought I would try and get some feed back off here first.

Would appreciate any comments

Thanks

stiscooby 27 November 2001 09:59 PM

Sorry for the "treble" posting my browser threw a wobbly!

stiscooby 27 November 2001 11:05 PM

Come on there must be some power freaks out there somewhere who is either running or know about running over 300Bhp in ya scooby.

john banks 27 November 2001 11:23 PM

How reliable surely depends on how it is done? You need to know what the ECU is, who mapped it, and what other mods there are to make your decision. You need to qualify "321bhp" with whose RR it is. You want to see the graphs and the torque curves. You want to know that there is some degree of boost/knock/air:fuel ratio monitoring.

If I was satisfied by all these questions then yes it could be reliable. If a UK car is pushed that far and some are, consider that the pistons and conrods are not up to the strength of the STis. If it is an STi consider that the original ECU is designed for 100RON fuel.

Have you seen http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm ?

And overall if you don't know enough to know if this is reliable you need it professionally inspected by someone like Scoobysport. You also need to know all the mods in detail so you can tell your insurers.

[Edited by john banks - 11/27/2001 11:29:08 PM]

stiscooby 27 November 2001 11:36 PM

Thanks for the info John. I might give the guy/gal a call to check the spec then maybe call somewhere like Power Engineering & ask them.

Thanks again.

subster 28 November 2001 08:12 PM

I'm running a 96 wrx sti 372 bhp. I use it for normal use, has no problems just make sure you let it warm before booting it or you could damage the crank

Trout... 28 November 2001 08:31 PM

I would hate to run a Scoob with 321bhp, I would have to turn my car right down ;)

Check what mods, check compression, listen for slap etc. My car (albeit later) has done nearly 30,000 miles with various mods, and probably over 20,000 with over 300bhp, including track days.

It has been absolutely fine to date, the only thing to go wrong is the rear wiper motor and my VF28 bust an oil seal after 20,000 miles.

Cheers,

Trout

Disco 29 November 2001 09:30 AM

What mods do you have Subster??? and what boost are you running?

steve McCulloch 29 November 2001 09:39 AM

372bhp

Now that I have to see...

Hail... the most powerful Scoob in the Country with a standard crank

Mellow Yellow ! 29 November 2001 09:42 AM

Now,now Steven...... ;)

Adam M 29 November 2001 10:05 AM

I beg to differ on the standard crank point.

Andy Tang 29 November 2001 10:18 AM

Sounds like Steve is jealous!! ;)

Adam M 29 November 2001 11:48 AM

I'm with andy.

PS. steve if you look at teh standard crank, you can tell it is easily good for high hp.

It is very short (due to being a boxer - chambers overlap), and is supported in three places. Cranks break cos the torque being transmitted along the length causes them to twist. If you reduce their length they can withdatnd greater tortional strains.

MorayMackenzie 29 November 2001 11:49 AM

stiscooby,

I would recommend that you ask another "tuner" about the car, the outfit you mentioned fitted cast pistons to my STI engine when they rebuilt it. STI engines have forged pistons in standard spec, although I don't believe the rods are necessarily any different to other scooby turbo engines.

Moray

[Edited by MorayMackenzie - 11/29/2001 11:57:59 AM]

steve McCulloch 29 November 2001 01:23 PM

course i'm jealous - you bet!

We'll see what my car can do when I get back from hols! in early Jan

CraigH 29 November 2001 10:12 PM

Is this the Red WRX "STI" in top marques by any chance?......

If so, it's not quite what it seems......