ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do you think I've been caught? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/564716-do-you-think-ive-been-caught.html)

nathanb 07 December 2006 02:42 PM

Do you think I've been caught?

Just passed a camera van in a 30mph zone. On my speedo it looked like I was doing 35mph but of course that wont be my actual speed. Anyone got any idea if I'll be fined? What is the allowance?

DCI Gene Hunt 07 December 2006 02:44 PM

10% + 2mph so at 35 you wont (at 36 you will though).............:thumb:

2000TLondon 07 December 2006 02:48 PM

Your speedo will no doubt display a slightly higher speed than the actual speed you are travelling, so I would be surprised if you were even doing 35mph. In future it would just be easier to drive at 30, though! ;) :D Or slow down when you see the van! ;)

Tripple'O G 07 December 2006 02:51 PM

You'll be fine fella....

I've been flashed loads of times and not a d1cky...

The mobile vans can be a bit anal when it comes to the speed but I wouldn't worry...

nathanb 07 December 2006 02:54 PM

I'm brickin it as this will be 9 points. I know everyone says this but the other two were really unlucky and I should of known better. I've been thinking if I end up with 9 points I'll prob have to sell the scoob! i really hope you guys are right.

Tidgy 07 December 2006 02:56 PM

35 in my classic on 17's is about 31-32 in reality (on gos) so tbh with a bit of luck you'll have got away with it

2000TLondon 07 December 2006 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by nathanb
I'm brickin it as this will be 9 points. I know everyone says this but the other two were really unlucky and I should of known better. I've been thinking if I end up with 9 points I'll prob have to sell the scoob! i really hope you guys are right.

Ouch, how recent are the other six???

Maybe you should buy a road angel, or start looking out for the speed cameras? ;)

nathanb 07 December 2006 03:04 PM

I picked up 3 points in my van, I then bought a road Angel and picked up another 3 points from a camera van. The Road Angel was awful, it never notified me of a load of speed traps and vans so I sold it on ebay as it was useless. Since then I have been driving EVERYWHERE really really carefully. Today I had a couple of seconds lapse in concentration and before I knew it I'd drifted over the 30 limit. Its so easy to do. Is it 2 weeks they have to send the NIP by?

DCI Gene Hunt 07 December 2006 03:06 PM

I picked up 3 points in my van, I then bought a road Angel and picked up another 3 points from a camera van. The Road Angel was awful, it never notified me of a load of speed traps and vans so I sold it on ebay as it was useless. Since then I have been driving EVERYWHERE really really carefully. Today I had a couple of seconds lapse in concentration and before I knew it I'd drifted over the 30 limit. Its so easy to do. Is it 2 weeks they have to send the NIP by?

Yep, I understand its 14 days......

2000TLondon 07 December 2006 03:07 PM

I think it can be up to three months, although I don't think there is a definitive cut off point, guess it depends on the back log..... A mate of mine kept getting done in his van, but would never get done in his M5! :wonder: He got up to nine points but within six months of reaching nine, the first six expired.......

You could always contest it and ask for the calibration details etc......

I think the vans are the worst of the speed enforcement scenarios as they're paying a couple of guys to just sit there operating it.......

Tidgy 07 December 2006 03:08 PM

nip is 14 days, no show and they can't do you

nathanb 07 December 2006 03:15 PM

Where can I see that in writing?

Tidgy 07 December 2006 03:17 PM

peppi, or what ever the site was called, sure someone knows the site i mean and has link to it

Proby521 07 December 2006 04:58 PM

If you were genuinely doing 35 according to speedo, you should be fine. As others have said, the speedo in most cases reads well over.

Proby

nathanb 07 December 2006 05:29 PM

I'm prety sure I was but you know what its like, you doubt yourself when you think you've been caught out. Was I really doing 35mph or was it a bit more??? I'll just have to wait and see now but i'm gonna be nervous all the way to xmas now!! May be a scoob for sale in the new year!