ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Isn't life wondrous? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/563358-isnt-life-wondrous.html)

JTaylor 02 December 2006 12:39 AM

Isn't life wondrous?

Does anyone else ever stop and think how truly magnificent our life is? Goodness! The odds of our exsistence occuring are barely comprehensible. All the way back to the big bang, when a primeval explosive atom some 10 to 20 billion years ago lead to a series of chance reactions. The Earth then had to be placed at a perfect distance from the Sun in order for life to be given a chance to exist. Miraculously, evolution took a course which gave birth to the human race.

So, the chances of us being here thus far are pretty slim. It then gets really interesting. Of the billions of humans that have populated the Earth over thousands of years, it just so happens that your parents met and that one of the millions of spermatozoa per millilitre produced by your Father penetrated one of the thousands of ovum harboured by your Mother.

You then survived long enough and learnt enough to read what I'm able to type.

We're incredilble! :notworthy

Bubba po 02 December 2006 12:43 AM

Is this the weak anthropomorphic principle or the strong one? I can never remember. ;)

G-STAR 02 December 2006 12:44 AM

...and I'm sat here picking my nose while reading this. :D

Bubba po 02 December 2006 12:46 AM

The plural of ovum is ova. :razz:

Bubba po 02 December 2006 12:47 AM

"Led", not "lead" :razz:

Bubba po 02 December 2006 12:48 AM

Evolution didn't "take a course"; that implies directed development, or planned outcome. :razz:

JTaylor 02 December 2006 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba po
The plural of ovum is ova. :razz:

"one of" would indicate singular, Bubba. :)

Bubba po 02 December 2006 12:49 AM

I hate copied and pasted bull****, I do. :razz:

Bubba po 02 December 2006 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor
"one of" would indicate singular, Bubba. :)

"Thousands" is the operator. :razz:

G-STAR 02 December 2006 12:51 AM

I think I'll leave you ladies to it. ;)

JTaylor 02 December 2006 12:54 AM

"Thousands" is the operator. :razz:

The indicator implies the singular.

The fact that you are here, now, being so extroadinarily pedantic, is also incredible! :)

Bubba po 02 December 2006 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by G-STAR
I think I'll leave you ladies to it. ;)

I WANT MY SCOOD BACK!!. :cry:

JTaylor 02 December 2006 12:58 AM

I hate copied and pasted bull****, I do. :razz:

I didn't copy and paste any of this. In fact, I sat at my pc feeling optimistic about life and though I'd share it. Nevermind. :)

Bubba po 02 December 2006 01:00 AM

The indicator implies the singular.

Don't be silly - you can't say "thousands of ovum" ! that's ridiculous. :mad:

GC8 02 December 2006 01:00 AM

Bob has a downer on optimism at the moment, with reason.

JTaylor 02 December 2006 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by GC8
Bob has a downer on optimism at the moment, with reason.

For sure. Understandable really. :)

Bubba po 02 December 2006 01:03 AM

And anyway, you missed out the bit where billions of suns had to be born and die in order to manufacture the more complex atoms upon which the whole fragile edifice is built. :)

Bubba po 02 December 2006 01:05 AM

Me and LF have a gig tomorrow. I'd better get to bed. :(

JTaylor 02 December 2006 01:07 AM

And anyway, you missed out the bit where billions of suns had to be born and die in order to manufacture the more complex atoms upon which the whole fragile edifice is built. :)

It's Ok. By chance, you've been around to add it in. Remarkable, aren't we? :)

Bubba po 02 December 2006 01:08 AM

Remarkable, aren't we? :)

Well, apart from Gatty, yes. :lol1:

Leslie 02 December 2006 12:09 PM

It bears thinking about.

Les

cookstar 02 December 2006 12:12 PM

Does anyone else ever stop and think how truly magnificent our life is? Goodness! The odds of our exsistence occuring are barely comprehensible. All the way back to the big bang, when a primeval explosive atom some 10 to 20 billion years ago lead to a series of chance reactions. The Earth then had to be placed at a perfect distance from the Sun in order for life to be given a chance to exist. Miraculously, evolution took a course which gave birth to the human race.

So, the chances of us being here thus far are pretty slim. It then gets really interesting. Of the billions of humans that have populated the Earth over thousands of years, it just so happens that your parents met and that one of the millions of spermatozoa per millilitre produced by your Father penetrated one of the thousands of ovum harboured by your Mother.

You then survived long enough and learnt enough to read what I'm able to type.

We're incredilble! :notworthy

You were smoking skunk just befre this wasn't you? :D

Chip Sengravy 02 December 2006 12:12 PM

Wimmins only release two eggs, one down each labia, twice a month. I learned that in school :thumb:

JTaylor 02 December 2006 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
You were smoking skunk just befre this wasn't you? :D

I wish I had been! :D

A fair few pints of SA were to blame :o. Having said that, I still think life is awesome. :)

Johnny E 02 December 2006 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
Wimmins only release two eggs, one down each labia, twice a month. I learned that in school :thumb:

:wonder:

Maz 02 December 2006 09:41 PM

I wish I had been! :D

A fair few pints of SA were to blame :o. Having said that, I still think life is awesome. :)

Having read all of your wonderfully philosophical post it is with some irony I have to say that in the context of the Universe, we (humans) and indeed the Earth are extremely insignificant.:)

Jaydee5 02 December 2006 09:46 PM

I think it's quite important to think about where on earth we were actually born :confused:

There, but for the grace of someone/thing, I could now be in a mud hut in the backwaters of an Indian swamp :( and have no idea what SN was all about :Whatever_

Would I be a better person :confused:

Maz 02 December 2006 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
I think it's quite important to think about where on earth we were actually born :confused:

There, but for the grace of someone/thing, I could now be in a mud hut in the backwaters of an Indian swamp :( and have no idea what SN was all about :Whatever_

Would I be a better person :confused:

Ah my dear Jaydee your worth is not quantified by your location and status but by your actions and mark you leave on people whose lives you touch.:)

JTaylor 02 December 2006 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Having read all of your wonderfully philosophical post it is with some irony I have to say that in the context of the Universe, we (humans) and indeed the Earth are extremely insignificant.:)

Quite. Whilst we are, without doubt, wondrous, we remain (relatively) insignificant. To be part of something so great defies my powers of description.

I'd strongly consider being placed in stasis. When we (the human race) atain collective second tier memes Spiral dynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we'll begin to step out, united, into the 'final frontier'. Won't that be something?

The petty bickering and in-fighting that takes place upon our planet right now will be viewed with derision within the next millenium. What I'd give to be there! :)

Maz 02 December 2006 10:08 PM

Quite. Whilst we are, without doubt, wondrous, we remain (relatively) insignificant. To be part of something so great defies my powers of description.

I'd strongly consider being placed in stasis. When we (the human race) atain collective second tier memes Spiral dynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we'll begin to step out, united, into the 'final frontier'. Won't that be something?

The petty bickering and in-fighting that takes place upon our planet right now will be viewed with derision within the next millenium. What I'd give to be there! :)

Mate you've taken ME there already with such a wonderfully hopeful notion.:thumb: