ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   URGENT help - changing headlight bulb and sidelight bulb on MY00 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/56158-urgent-help-changing-headlight-bulb-and-sidelight-bulb-on-my00.html)

robman 26 November 2001 01:11 PM

Wah! I'm at the office and my new bulbs have arrived to replace my blown sidelight and headlight bulbs.

However, I can't work out how to get the old ones out.

* Headlights - a 1.5 inch rubber connector at the back comes off, exposing the back of the bulb. But then the bulb doesn't come out - it seems to be held in place by a large (3.5 inch?) rubber backing that I can't get off easily. So what do I do next? Do I need spanners for this?

* Sidelights - er, not got a clue! Do the headlights have to come out to change those? If so, how do I get the headlight out?

Quick help v. much appreciated as it'll be dark before too long!

Cheers peeps

r

Robyn 26 November 2001 01:17 PM

I belive there are some outlines in the owners handbook.

I did the same thing a while back the headlamps are damm tricky (especially with cold hands) and the side lights took some forcing (after releasing a few screws).

If you can (and I realise its dark out now most of the time) doing this at the weekend may help you.

Headlights you should be able to do in the car park the sidelights I would wait for.

airhead 26 November 2001 01:20 PM

sidelight - undo the phillips srew on the headlight. This enablse the sidelide lense to swing outwards, and then removed. Twist the cwire connection 1/4 turn to remove and get access to bulb. Simple.

Headlight - never changed one.

airhead

AndrewW 26 November 2001 01:37 PM

Ahhh,

Just been through this myself on the weekend :(

You've already worked out the hard bit, nowhere in the manual does it tell you that you have to squeeze the sides of the electrical connectore to get it off [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

To remove the big rubber seal holding the globe in, feel around under the bottom of the seal and you will feel that you can get a good grip on it and just pull up and back firmly. They do tend to stick a bit but will come off with a decent firm pull :D ooh err :D

Don't forget to undo the little metal clip after the rubber comes off, or you won't be able to remove the globe.

Have fun :)

Andrew.

Adam M 26 November 2001 01:59 PM

isnt there a metal retaining spring keeping the bulb in place. There has been on every car I have ever changed the bulb of, including my impreza.

robman 26 November 2001 04:16 PM

Thanks guys. Job done! No major skin repairs needed, but driver's side headlight was a bugger due to having no 10mm spanner to get that box out of the way.

Anyway, 4 working bulbs now, and they're all Phillips Vision /Vision Plus so hopefully I'll be able to see in the dark at last! Many thanks to www.powerbulbs.com for the ace service and free foglamp bulbs.

R

AndrewW 26 November 2001 05:20 PM

Robman,

Forgot to mention that. Have a look in the little tool kit that is buried away with the spare tyre.

I was quite impressed to find a selection of spanners, including the 10mm required to remove the front of the air intake ducting.

At least you'll know next time :D

Andrew.

Taff 26 November 2001 05:48 PM

I find the easiest solution to fix a blown bulb is buy a new car

:)