ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   No high beam, MOT pass or not? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/561532-no-high-beam-mot-pass-or-not.html)

mikeswrx02 25 November 2006 02:20 PM

No high beam, MOT pass or not?

Is high beam(main beam) part of MOT?:wonder: do they check?!:wonder:

rigga 25 November 2006 02:21 PM

yes they check........

fail

GC8 25 November 2006 03:20 PM

They dont actually; I have had twin headlamped cars pass MOTs with the inner main-beam lamps removed. If you are talking about an all-in-one headlamp then main beam wont be tested at all.

Simon

scoobyboy 25 November 2006 03:35 PM

yes it will

bob r 25 November 2006 03:44 PM

no it will:D

corradoboy 25 November 2006 04:01 PM

I believe the rule is, if it's fitted it has to work. That's why the guy with twin lights was able to pass with the units removed, as it wasn't fitted therefore didn't have to work. Dipped beam is tested for alignment.

rigga 25 November 2006 04:02 PM

mmmmm difference of opinion here..... always asked to put lights onto main beam when ive had my car tested so assume ( wrongly perhaps ) that it was a requirementfor them to be working.....

any mot testers in the house?

GC8 25 November 2006 04:11 PM

As Dave has said, if its fited it should work but main beam itself isnt part of the test. I removed my inners because they were corroded and this caused the car to fail its MOT. Because cars do not have to have anything other than dipped beam, when I removed the inner main beam units the car passed.

Even your speedometer isnt part of the MOT test; Ive just MOTd two imported vehicles and both still had a KMs reading speedos. Conversely, your door interior handles must work but when did you last see those being tested?

rigga 25 November 2006 04:20 PM

number plate light not included that i do know.......

WHEELSHOP0_0 25 November 2006 04:28 PM

MOT tests do not make sense, as the rules are weird.
You can pass an mot with only one wheel nut on each wheel if you have wheel trims on but will fail with a nut missing on alloys as they can see it:wonder:

You can also pass an mot with no lights at all if they are not fitted (daylight mot) the car can then only be used in daylight.

You can pass an mot with no windscreen but if you have a stonechip on the pass side outwith the drivers view it will fail, also if you have a small chip on the drivers side and its within the width of the steering wheel and in the wiper pattern it will fail but if you put tiny wiper blades on that are so small the chip is now outside the pattern it will pass:wonder:

So the next time you rely on an mot for a guide as to the condition of a car beware its a mad world out there.

Sweepickit 25 November 2006 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
Conversely, your door interior handles must work but when did you last see those being tested?

My mates Porka 911 SC failed for the passenger side interior handle mechanism sticking... which cost £380 to replace... ouch! :eek:

Abdabz 25 November 2006 05:20 PM

A failing will occur, resulting in much sadness :(

David Lock 25 November 2006 05:31 PM

I learnt a lesson once when I had a stand at an exhibition and the chap next to me drove up the road on a sofa. Kitted out with a Mini engine and sundry bits. Quite legal apparently. I've forgotten but I think he had to have brake lights and number plates but that was about it.

GC8 25 November 2006 05:32 PM

Registered for daylight use only.

Chelspeed 25 November 2006 06:13 PM

From the MOT manual which is here. Section 1.2. There's the bit about not needing anything if it's a daytime MOT and no lights are fitted (so if your main beams aren't working then you need to totally remove them before a daytime MOT becomes an option), a bit about all cars post Jan 1931 needing lights, then:

"Check that the vehicle is fitted with obligatory headlamps, as follows

a. a matched pair of main beam headlamps, and

b. a matched pair of dipped-beam headlamps

Note: Main-beam and dipped-beam functions may be provided by a
single pair of headlamps."