ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Another set of cracked megan headers!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/561525-another-set-of-cracked-megan-headers.html)

Timothy Morphy 25 November 2006 01:28 PM

Another set of cracked megan headers!!

Hi, as above, my megan headers have two very large cracks in them. I've heard a few reports of this happening to these. I need a well built, good power gain replacement, any ideas, without spending mega money! Theres a set of equal length ones from anew digital on flebay,any one have these?
Im running a 1995 2.5 conversion with td05 and full de-cat.

Cheers,Tim

PICKLE 25 November 2006 01:33 PM

The Gruppe-S always seem good VFM. Now they have sorted out the Up-pipe join flanges.

Think they are around £350-400 with up-pipe

IPALMER 25 November 2006 06:33 PM

my megans cracked after a couple of months.

i replaced them about a year ago with the Gruppe-s ones.

no problems with these whatsoever ;)

jim litten 25 November 2006 06:35 PM

Try Lateral Performance or Zen they sell some great headers.

Alan wrx-sti 25 November 2006 06:38 PM

I also had a set of Megan headers and as above the cracked and went on me I now have a set of RCM headers worth paying the extra for a good quality product, it's the last time I will buy that sort of stuff of ebay.

MaDaSS 25 November 2006 08:02 PM

Tracktive do replica GT Spec 2 headers, and the up pipe and headers have the 3 bolt flange. I say replica as they have them made for them to the spec of the GT 2.
They are expensive, but the fact they have been well tested and used tells you all you need to know.
I had mine ceramic coated too just as i could not be arsed with wrap nor the smell or possible chance of oil spillage burning on the wrap.
Again, an expensive choice but as all silly sayings go, "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!"

P20SPD 25 November 2006 08:03 PM

As Jim says, ring Lateral Performance or Zen Performance, their headers work well.

billsandhu 25 November 2006 08:36 PM

Had megans which only lasted 4 months. Bought some replacement headers from Zen them and have had no issues whatsoever. Been on the car now just over 2 years and around 28k miles.

wrx_yank 25 November 2006 08:40 PM

my megan cat back cracked on the BB right next to both the hangers!!!! junk if you ask me

Welloilbeefhooked 26 November 2006 12:33 AM

Did everyone with cracked headers have them wrapped or not?

Mine are wrapped and have been fine for over a year now.

billsandhu 26 November 2006 09:06 AM

They were wrapped

Timothy Morphy 26 November 2006 10:36 PM

Thanks for the replys guys! Did anyone notice any diference in performance when ditching the megans?

Welloilbeefhooked 27 November 2006 07:34 AM

Bill,

I thought yours were fitted un wrapped? did you wrap them after?

Timothy Morphy 23 December 2006 05:59 PM

Just an update, just finnished fitting a set of kakumei headers and up-pipe from flat4online.co.uk. The quality is much better than the megans, they have slip joints ect and come with all gaskets/studs. Much better turbo spool up, comes in much earlyer and pulls right to the red line. Nearly lost the car coming off a round about with the extra torque! Well worth a look if your about to buy some, especially as they only set me back £295!:thumb:

Tim

trainer 23 December 2006 06:07 PM

I have equal length headers from Tracktive Solutions ive no problems and they,ve given the car far better throttle response

cookstar 23 December 2006 06:27 PM

I am going to be running just ported headers for the time being as i heard so many of these type of headers cracking.

Are all the above equal length headers?

Timothy Morphy 23 December 2006 07:40 PM

No, the kakumei's are unequal, keeps the burble!