ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Styling (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/)
-   -   Mud Flaps - yes yes I know ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/560903-mud-flaps-yes-yes-i-know.html)

dreamer_girl 22 November 2006 08:27 PM

Mud Flaps - yes yes I know !

I've searched and read so many posts that the word flaps is starting to be meaningless (or make me giggle!) but I'm trying to understand the difference between the standard Subaru mudflaps and the aftermarket ones from Ebay.

Price is obviously VERY different, and I want a set for my Black 06 Sti to protect it from stone chips etc., (on the road, and rally circuits when I marshall, and the occasional driving in fields I do).

I've read that you can rip your bumper off if you back up a kerb, which worries me in case I go down a pot hole on stage or something.

The Subaru ones are expensive, ebay ones cheaper, but is there any difference???

I'm so confused - any advice welcome !

Thanks

wrx300scooby 22 November 2006 09:20 PM

Well you have read the threads and still cannot make your mind up. Personally I have the MUDBAN(ScottLowe) ones on my Scoob, had them on for around a year, no probs at all. Cannot comment on ripping your bumper off, I'm not a marshall:) :)

dreamer_girl 22 November 2006 09:33 PM

I can't make my mind up because nobody says anything except which ones they have. The photo's all look pretty similar, but nobody seems to have the standard flaps....

wrx300scooby 22 November 2006 09:44 PM

no probs at all

Hi DG, doesn't that say anything to you:wonder:

dreamer_girl 22 November 2006 10:28 PM

Yus they're expensive LOL

GeoffMM 23 November 2006 11:26 AM

get the one's for £60 off ebay. i have had mine for 1 year now and no probs. alloy brackets would be better but the plastic one's are fine

Tidgy 23 November 2006 11:34 AM

only real difference between the ones on ebay and the dealer ones (as long as you get decent ones from ebay) is price, do know a few people who have got exactly the same thing aka made by same people, but due to not being through subaru saved 75% of the cost ;)

NeilT 23 November 2006 08:00 PM

to answer the question - there is a difference and its in the material used to make the flaps.

the more expensive flaps are made from polyurethane (same material as used in the Subaru/Prodrive sets AFAIK) which is a relatively expensive material to buy but is much firmer / stiffer than the cheaper PVC material (EBAY type), which is cheaper to produce and therefore buy.

We sell both varieties and the brackets and fixings are the same (for ours at least).

Hope this answers the question

Neil
(Scoobyworld Ltd)

dreamer_girl 23 November 2006 10:59 PM

Ok thanks Neil - I think I've seen the Scoobyworld ones on Ebay?

I think I'll be ordering a set soon as I'm not paying 100/pair for the official ones !

Is there any benefit to stiffer material?

SPEN555 23 November 2006 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer_girl
I've searched and read so many posts that the word flaps is starting to be meaningless (or make me giggle!) but I'm trying to understand the difference between the standard Subaru mudflaps and the aftermarket ones from Ebay.

Price is obviously VERY different, and I want a set for my Black 06 Sti to protect it from stone chips etc., (on the road, and rally circuits when I marshall, and the occasional driving in fields I do).

I've read that you can rip your bumper off if you back up a kerb, which worries me in case I go down a pot hole on stage or something.

The Subaru ones are expensive, ebay ones cheaper, but is there any difference???

I'm so confused - any advice welcome !

Thanks

Just to let you know you do need to be careful backing towards kerbs as you mention above. When I did it on one of my rears it luckily just popped the bracket and bent it. It was able to be put back on. Just reverse slowly :D

HTH.

56blacksti 23 November 2006 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Well you have read the threads and still cannot make your mind up. Personally I have the MUDBAN(ScottLowe) ones on my Scoob, had them on for around a year, no probs at all. Cannot comment on ripping your bumper off, I'm not a marshall:) :)

I have the same on my 06 black sti look great no problems:thumb:

NeilT 24 November 2006 11:27 AM

Ok thanks Neil - I think I've seen the Scoobyworld ones on Ebay?

I think I'll be ordering a set soon as I'm not paying 100/pair for the official ones !

Is there any benefit to stiffer material?

Yes we do have a shop on EBay. The stiffer material doesnt 'flap around' so much at speed.

Neil

Flaps 15 December 2006 11:55 AM

the word flaps is starting to be meaningless (or make me giggle!)

:thumb:

Did you get any in the end then?

Tidgy 15 December 2006 11:59 AM

thinking about it i'd rather have the cheaper weaker material. shall explain.

when you revers the flaps gett very close to the wheel, if you then hit a kurb they get ripped off, what would you rtaher ripped, flap or bumper?

mine ar epretty cheap ones (were on the car when i got it) and exactly that happened, saved me a bumper by just poping th tappers through the flap

Flaps 15 December 2006 12:02 PM

I got the mudban ones off E-bay. Purely because you could fit them in about 15 minutes without taking the wheels off and no need to drill into the car. Not sure how much they 'flap' around though as i'm never behind the car when it's moving. I'm quite happy with them, plus they only cost about £50 delivered. They also offer quite a choice.

cookstar 16 December 2006 05:09 PM

I had the blue Prodrive ones on my 02, lovely set of flaps :norty:

All fitted perfectly, sold them when i thought i was selling the scoob, now looking for another pair :mad: