ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tosser in an MX5 last night (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/560474-tosser-in-an-mx5-last-night.html)

windyboy 21 November 2006 01:50 PM

Tosser in an MX5 last night

Last night I was driving home, it was wet and dark, I stopped whilst waiting to move onto a roundabout (the big kind you get on dual carrageways), an MX5 moves onto the roundabout from my right and then the back end starts to slide out abit, I thought to myself "oh he's lost it", but then as he passes the junction were I was waiting I hear his engine screaming and the back end still sliding. I then realised the he was drifting around the roundabout, :eek2: he then carried on drifting until he got to the exit he wanted and then left the roundabout.:cuckoo:

What a tosser !! He was on an open road, it was dark and wet and only about 7pm and the road and roundabout was pretty busy.:eek: :eek:

Windyboy

Paul3446 21 November 2006 01:56 PM

I just assumed this thread would be about PS Lewis! :lol1:

SJ_Skyline 21 November 2006 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446
I just assumed this thread would be about PS Lewis! :lol1:

No, Lewis would be dribbling in an MX5, not drifting ;):D

Ben v7 21 November 2006 02:05 PM

Doesn't sound too bad to me... sounds like a controlled slide and those cars have fantastic handling and are very predictable.

carl 21 November 2006 02:43 PM

That's how you're supposed to drive an MX5 :rolleyes:

windyboy 21 November 2006 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by carl

yeah but not on a roundabout when there are other cars about and it's raining.

Onan The Barbarian 21 November 2006 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by carl

Absolutely :thumb:

I had one before I bought me Scoob

It was great fun.......but slow :(

mightyyid 21 November 2006 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Onan The Barbarian
Absolutely :thumb:

I had one before I bought me Scoob

It was great fun.......but slow :(

Agree - that's why you fit a supercharger. Then it becomes a total blast.

That's what MX5's are all about - good on the boy. Ireesponsible - perhaps. Fun - you bet.

Did he get away with it. Wah wah wee wah....

RB5SCOTT 21 November 2006 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by windyboy
Last night I was driving home, it was wet and dark, I stopped whilst waiting to move onto a roundabout (the big kind you get on dual carrageways), an MX5 moves onto the roundabout from my right and then the back end starts to slide out abit, I thought to myself "oh he's lost it", but then as he passes the junction were I was waiting I hear his engine screaming and the back end still sliding. I then realised the he was drifting around the roundabout, :eek2: he then carried on drifting until he got to the exit he wanted and then left the roundabout.:cuckoo:

What a tosser !! He was on an open road, it was dark and wet and only about 7pm and the road and roundabout was pretty busy.:eek: :eek:

Windyboy

stop whinging, your only jealous because your supercar subaru understeers like a saxo :p

I had 10 times more fun in my MX5 than i ever had in my 400bhp scoob

RS Grant 21 November 2006 03:14 PM

Dont see a problem apart from the 'busy-ish' roundabout, however, if it had been me... I would have waited until the early hours. :)

Cheers,
Grant

carl 21 November 2006 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Agree - that's why you fit a supercharger. Then it becomes a total blast.

MX-5 is a bit "my first sportscar" though, with or without blower.

pslewis 21 November 2006 04:58 PM

The MX5 is the hidden secret of the Motorworld ..... those who do, do - those who worry about image, don't.

And they miss out on one of lifes purest, finest, driving pleasures! That is the MX5.

skoobidude 21 November 2006 05:07 PM

I'll be seeking to do similar when I get my 350zee - as I did years ago in my Supra. ;)
Only on empty islands though!

Nick

PS Just noticed I've posted below the legend. :eek:

J4CKO 21 November 2006 06:58 PM

Sounds like that may have brightened my drive home, beats a BMW 3 series driver 'drifting' between lanes whilst on the phone (clenched between head and shoulder)ordering 10 crates of Cherryade in a loud voice whilst picking his nose with the other hand holding the wheel straight-ish Thor like !

Shark Man 21 November 2006 07:13 PM

I had the same happen with me with an old E28 BMW 520 :D

I gave him a couple of toots of appreciation...nobody entered the island as they just sat there gawping at this sideways BMW so he ihad it to himself :lol1:

Irresponsible, yes, but still amusing. There was lots of room on this island as it was pretty small, but had 3 lanes to play in. :)

_RIP_ 21 November 2006 08:21 PM

Nice moves, pity about the car :D

paul-s 21 November 2006 09:23 PM

legend :)

ShyTot 21 November 2006 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT

So did I, I had it for 10 years before I had to sell it because of the kids..

The STI PPP is very fast yes, but it's brute force and ignorance instead of finesse.

Both great cars, but for verrrrrrry different reasons, MX5 is much nicer to drive IMO

hades 21 November 2006 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
stop whinging, your only jealous because your supercar subaru understeers like a saxo :p

And only about 1/10 as many engine rebuilds? :p ;) Evenin' Scott!

Can't comment on the roundabout in question, but certainly slow(ish) rwd can be a lot of fun on damp roudabouts. I remember an old works P100 which would get the tail a long way out at 20mph with ease in the wet - tremendous fun, and you're going slow enough you aren't going to kill yourself if you get it wrong. Even got "power" oversteer at about 10mph in a LWB LDF van a couple of months back; made me and passenger laugh lots anyway. :D

CrisPDuk 22 November 2006 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by windyboy
yeah but not on a roundabout when there are other cars about and it's raining.

When it's raining is the best time for it:thumb:

Besides it could have been worse, you want to see how much space an E Class estate occupies:D

CrisPDuk 22 November 2006 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
The MX5 is the hidden secret of the Motorworld ..... those who do, do - those who worry about image, don't.

And they miss out on one of lifes purest, finest, driving pleasures! That is the MX5.

:eek:This is getting scary, once again I find myself in total agreement with Pete:)

I'm just off now to go and kill myself, before I begin to start to thinking Dubya's bitch is the greatest statesman our glorious nation has ever produced:mad:

SiDHEaD 22 November 2006 07:50 AM

This thread went well for the OP, then... lol

Leslie 22 November 2006 11:13 AM

Scoobies don't understeer if you go to Cheltenham and have the steering rack mounting adjusted and the suspension all lined up.

Mine had neutral handling and was great for drifting around roundabouts.

Les :)

midget1500 22 November 2006 12:42 PM

was it a red mx5? if so, i know the driver and he can drive!

also, i drift round every r/about and slide out of every junction in the wet and it might look bad to other road users but it is controlled :-)

powerman1 22 November 2006 01:06 PM

this what you call drifting on roundabouts when its busy
Ghostrider Z3 M Coupe Chase -Preview - Google Video

Poor Guy 22 November 2006 01:35 PM

ive only ever owned rwd classics and slide mine round roundabouts when possible.
had a boy racer in a saxo try to under take me on a roundabout the other night using the left only lane because i was in the straight on/turn right lane. i slide mine round in my lane and he managed not to undertake me. twas one of my best and i was happy. they are my private roundabouts of course.

Bat-Fink 22 November 2006 02:23 PM

Good lad in the MX5.

Neanderthal 22 November 2006 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bat-Fink
Good lad in the MX5.

:thumb:

Ben v7 22 November 2006 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Scoobies don't understeer if you go to Cheltenham and have the steering rack mounting adjusted and the suspension all lined up.

Mine had neutral handling and was great for drifting around roundabouts.

Les :)

Mine understeers if you throw it into a tightish bend without being on the power - wrong way to do though anyway! Accelerating hard out of a bend and it will slide more or less neutrally, let off and you get a bit of oversteer.

At highish speeds on certain gradual bends balanced on the throttle it will step out at the back a bit, but easy to control with the throttle and controllable.

Can provoke relatively big lift off oversteer fairly easily.

This is not with a standard suspension setup though.

Steve Whitehorn 22 November 2006 03:48 PM

Not a problem - if he is controling the drift.

The big big problem, is that it was busy. You have a responsibility to other road users. Empty wet roundabouts are good things D: