ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   Standard headers, has anyone got a set (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/560463-standard-headers-has-anyone-got-a-set.html)

cookstar 21 November 2006 01:12 PM

Standard headers, has anyone got a set

I could borrow, till i remove mine.

I am buying some Harvey ported headers for my 02WRX, but he wants a set of standard ones in exchange, however I am not ready to fit themn to my car yet as am waiting for another mod' to arrive and cant afford to get it mapped quite yet.

Has anyone got a setI could give him, and then would replace yours when mine come off the car. Probably just before Xmas

Cheers

Cookie :)

Spec'c'57 21 November 2006 01:15 PM

:( we just(well a few months back) left Mrs spec'C's headers @ scoobyclinic as the heat shield was foofed... sorry mate....

SirFozzalot 21 November 2006 01:20 PM

Can't help with the headers mate but Mocom are doing a groupbuy on mapping :norty:

Check out THIS THREAD

Tomski_908 21 November 2006 01:25 PM

Your welcome to borrow mine but their off a 94!! not sure if they fit later models?!? :confused:

cookstar 21 November 2006 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tomski_908
Your welcome to borrow mine but their off a 94!! not sure if they fit later models?!? :confused:

I think they are a universal fit, just have a sensor on some models, not sure about any more than that

cookstar 21 November 2006 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
:( we just(well a few months back) left Mrs spec'C's headers @ scoobyclinic as the heat shield was foofed... sorry mate....

damn, thanks anyway :)

Tomski_908 21 November 2006 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
I think they are a universal fit, just have a sensor on some models, not sure about any more than that

Well there here if you want em :thumb:

cookstar 21 November 2006 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tomski_908
Well there here if you want em :thumb:

Thanks mate, will put a thread up in gen tech to see if they are compatible, althopugh they wont actually be going on my car, i dont want to bugger the guy up im swopping with.

:)

WRX_Dazza 21 November 2006 03:21 PM

Thanks mate, will put a thread up in gen tech to see if they are compatible, althopugh they wont actually be going on my car, i dont want to bugger the guy up im swopping with.

:)

they weight a fookin ton though!!! hahahah :)

cookstar 21 November 2006 03:26 PM

:wonder: surely they weigh all the same..

Or was there a joke hidden there i dont get :Suspiciou :D

V4JDMSTi 21 November 2006 03:59 PM

they weigh a ton compared to some nice hayward and scott equal length ones :norty:. also have a set from a '94 that you can borrow if needed.

cookstar 21 November 2006 04:11 PM

Its being debaited in general tech at the mo, some say 94 ones will not fit, someone says it will. :confused:

Will phone API I think to confirm this.

Was listening to the Spec C last night, those equal lenght headers sound :luvlove:

How much are the H&S ones

V4JDMSTi 21 November 2006 04:24 PM

i too have heard roumours that they fit. harvey will be able to let you know if they'll fit.

i got mine as part of a h&s group buy. a one off set is about £705 inc the vat i think. scoobyworld are doing some that are about the £400 mark and i think zak at mocom can do you some for about £450. if you go for a set, get ones without the flexi joint. have heard many times of the joint blowing apart. the h&s and scoobyworld ones have slipjoints and i think the the ones from mocom are solid and coated in a heat proof aero grade ceramic so no need to wrap them.

buts it's not just the sound they give, it's the torque gain too. before i had mine fitted the car struggled to sit at 30mph in 5th gear. now it'll sit there no problem. save a few quid on petrol ;)

cookstar 21 November 2006 04:45 PM

Big money then really, especially with the other mods I am planning and also just bought. May have to settle for the portes OE ones for now :)

V4JDMSTi 21 November 2006 04:47 PM

i've heard that depending on what other mods you are doing, you can gain well out of the ported oe ones as well as you would with aftermarket headers. plus you won't loose the flat four burble. but imo the equal length "rasp" sounds better. but then i am biased as i have a set :D

cookstar 21 November 2006 04:56 PM

The only other advantage, is from listening to the Spec C, on start up idle, it makes less noise, not a case of quieter but less noisy than the burble, especially its cold :eek: But then when he accellerated :norty: :norty:

I have been BANNED from driving my car onto a estate, so am thinking equals may be the way to go in the near future.

V4JDMSTi 21 November 2006 05:04 PM

how have you been banned from driving somewhere? is it a public space? if that much of a problem, visit h&s and get ian to make you up an exhaust bung. does the job on mine for when the little one is in the car. :thumb:

cookstar 21 November 2006 05:09 PM

I visit someone that lives on a council estate in Romford, if I stay and leave for work around 05:30 some residents have taken not very kindly to it. Made complaints to the council. Head honcho visited her and threatened her with eviction if my car comes onto the estate.:eek:

Police have been poking around at the car too, saying the exhaust is illegal :mad:

So.... Something needs to be done :D

I was using this as an excuse to eventually buy some equals, as the bung albeit cheaper is a dull alternative :)

Tomski_908 21 November 2006 05:21 PM

Equals are GREAT :luxhello: :luxhello: Plus so much lighter, look for a second hand set mate :norty: i got mine for £200! ;)

V4JDMSTi 21 November 2006 05:51 PM

I visit someone that lives on a council estate in Romford, if I stay and leave for work around 05:30 some residents have taken not very kindly to it. Made complaints to the council. Head honcho visited her and threatened her with eviction if my car comes onto the estate.:eek:

Police have been poking around at the car too, saying the exhaust is illegal :mad:

So.... Something needs to be done :D

I was using this as an excuse to eventually buy some equals, as the bung albeit cheaper is a dull alternative :)

that's a bit off. had a similar thing when i had my rs turbo. one of the neighbours complained to me about my "cherry bomb" exhaust whilst pretending to know what he was one about - which he didn't. because if he could read he would have noticed that the exhaust was a mongoose one.

i'll ask a few questions for you re the legalities that the police are on about. :thumb:

yup the bung is a dull alternative and they also restrict the exhaust gases quite a bit and saps throttle response. how about wrapping a big rag over the end of the pipe until you're out of ear shot? much cheaper than headers but won't give you the power gains :lol1:

another thing with the headers though is my missus says that since i fitted mine she can hear the car for longer in the morning than the standard ones. the exhaust note is higher so travels further.

yellowvanman 21 November 2006 05:55 PM

The only other advantage, is from listening to the Spec C, on start up idle, it makes less noise, not a case of quieter but less noisy than the burble, especially its cold :eek: But then when he accellerated :norty: :norty:

I have been BANNED from driving my car onto a estate, so am thinking equals may be the way to go in the near future.

Cookie,

equals def sound less noisy on tickover, I've had then for nearly 2 years, love the sound :D

cookstar 21 November 2006 06:55 PM

Thats all the encouragment i need, they are firmly on my wish list now. :D

Nate 21 November 2006 07:06 PM

What about 'semi' equal length headers ???

cookstar 21 November 2006 07:11 PM

never understood the concept of semi unequal, surely something is either equal or unequal :wonder:

Do you see where im coming from? :)

Spec'c'57 21 November 2006 07:47 PM

mrs spec'C' has the un-equal which your welcome to listen too at some point..... ;)

Nate 21 November 2006 08:35 PM

Do you see where im coming from? :)

Yeah ..... Motormeet :p

cookstar 22 November 2006 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
mrs spec'C' has the un-equal which your welcome to listen too at some point..... ;)

:thumb: