ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Orange webmail and outlook express (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/559888-orange-webmail-and-outlook-express.html)

AlanG 19 November 2006 03:10 PM

Orange webmail and outlook express

I've got an @freeserve.co.uk address set up in OE (Outlook Express) but have created an @fsmail.net address which i'd like to use from now on instead of the @freeserve.co.uk address.

Problem i've got is i can't seem to set up the @fsmail.net address as an account in OE.
I've tried the usual permutations for the incoming and outgoing server but so far, none have worked.
Can anyone help? Possibly tell me what format i should use for the incoming/outgoing servers?

Reason i want to change is because you can't change your password in an @freeserve.co.uk E-mail address (checked and confirmed on Orange's help pages), so want a different and also easier address to use from now on.

I've also searched through Orange's pages (and others) but this is drawing a blank.

Can it be done and if so, how?

RichB 19 November 2006 04:03 PM

I dont know if this is relevant to you BUT a friend of mine spent ages trying to get his outgoing mail working after he moved over to Orange's free broadband.
We were able to setup incoming no problem (yours would be something like mail.fresserve.co.uk or post.freeserve.co.uk or something like that)
The outgoing simply would not work with the SMTP servers we've always used.
Turns out Orange will only let you send mail through their SMTP servers which I thought was odd - They must be scanning all outgoing mail for 'viruses' or othr such stuff......
So your SMTP server would be something like smtp.orange.co.uk - Sorry I can't remember what it is - I'm not on Orange.

AlanG 19 November 2006 04:24 PM

Hi RichB
My @freeserve.co.uk address uses pop.freeserve.com for incoming and smtp.freeserve.com for outgoing servers but @fsmail.net doesn't want to know when i use those.
I've tried the above plus "freeserve.co.uk" "orange.co.uk", "orange.com" but no joy.

When i try to send/receive it comes up with username and/or password rejected.

So i suppose the question is.... what are the incoming/outgoing servers Orange use for fsmail.net addresses?

RichB 19 November 2006 05:25 PM

outgoing mail is not generally related to incoming - sometimes you will find ISPs use your incoming mail details username/pwd when connecting to their outgoing mail servers purely to authenticate the user.

Orange doesn't need to do this as it knows you are an orange customer because you are connecting to their broadband therefore your outgoing mail server will be something like mail.orange.co.uk or smtp.orange.co.uk

Your incoming mail details are not related to orange as they are handled by fnet and fsnet (like any other POP3 mail host) don't care how you connect to the internet. The only information you need for incoming mail collect is
your username, password and the POP3 mail server address.

You account name *might* be your email address or yourname.fsnet.co.uk
I read somewhere that if your email address is me@myself.freeserve.co.uk then your username is: myself.freeserve.co.uk
Somewhere else suggests : myself.freeserve.co.uk@fs

The POP3 server address will NOT have 'orange' in it at all, it is likely to be pop.freeserve.co.uk, pop.freeserve.com or pop.fsnet.net.

Can't be much more help really I'm afriad, call your friendly local Indian call centre is next I suggest ;) .

RichB 19 November 2006 05:27 PM

http://help.orange.co.uk/resultDispl...e=5002#Goto138

AlanG 19 November 2006 06:04 PM

Thanks RichB you gave me some more things to try.
Unfortunately all attempts bring up "password rejected" "Invalid login/password pair".

I went on to Orange website just to confirm i was using the right password! (i was), yet when i went to Inbox, the mails that were in there belonged to my other "freeserve.co.uk"`address.
Feck knows whats going on here, i haven't a clue.

In my "freeserve.co.uk" address, you have the option to create another account. So i did. The options it gave you were that i had to pick a new user name for the account cause it would be an "fsmail.net" address. You also had to choose a new password, so i have no idea why the "freeserve.co.uk" emails are in the "fsmail.net" inbox.

I don't even know if it's linked to another problem i have with emails....
i have a desktop upstairs and a wireless connection to the laptop downstairs.

My emails come in as normal on the desktop but for some reason they come in twice on the laptop. No big deal as i can just delete the secondary emails, but when your wife's on ebay listing and buying stuff, it can become overwhelming some days with 80-100 emails coming in...