ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Just settling down for an evening with the review code of RACE - official WTCC game (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/559762-just-settling-down-for-an-evening-with-the-review-code-of-race-official-wtcc-game.html)

Edcase 18 November 2006 09:52 PM

Just settling down for an evening with the review code of RACE - official WTCC game

Beers...check

Driving force pro...check

Widescreen LCD with 7900 GTX SLi's...check

7.1 surround...check

Missus away for the weekend...check

3am to bed....:norty:

Bravo2zero_sps 18 November 2006 10:54 PM

How about some 'test' copies for SN members :norty: We wont tell, honest!

Edcase 18 November 2006 11:35 PM

You can only get it via Steam, so there's no way to bypass the authentication!

Valve are sitting on a goldmine with Steam...

First impressions are very good. The whole thing feels a lot more glossy than the GTR series, and the AI is noticeably better.

Just spent an hour getting my general setup perfect, gonna have a quick coffee then dive into a championship. :thumb:

bioforger 19 November 2006 01:03 AM

I've got a steam account, how do u get it from there? I can only see a pre-order option for the full release...

Edcase 19 November 2006 11:41 AM

You can't. The developer is one of our clients, and they have to give you a specific code to enter which makes it available. The version I'm playing is the final release candidate released to journos etc for reviews.

The WTCC race format makes it very compelling, as the grid order reverses (or something similar) for race two. I came 7th in the first race, started 2nd in the 2nd and won!

bioforger 19 November 2006 11:59 AM

u lucky get :)

Neanderthal 19 November 2006 12:06 PM

Really looking forward to this game :D
Enjoyed the demo once I got the field of view sorted out. A lot closer racing than the GTR games.

Edcase 19 November 2006 01:29 PM

Neanderthal, you've hit the nail on the head. The AI is fantastic and with a field of 24 other cars and all similar performance, the feeling of 'racing' is unsurpassed IMHO.

GTR often felt like me against myself, keeping the car on the road.

They have made it more simulation from the last build I played a few months back, which was slightly too forgiving and made it too easy to pick straight up, but this seems to be about perfect.

kernel 19 November 2006 02:29 PM

The demo released a few weeks back certainly didn't give a good impression, I hope you're right about the improvements Ed. GTR2 provides some awesome racing, especially in the league I race in. Not sure WTCC might seem a bit tame after an outing in a GT ;)

Edcase 19 November 2006 02:52 PM

I definitely think it's going to struggle to convince the hardcore. It's difficult to top GTR2 in that respect.

However I think it will definitely open up more serious racing to a slightly more mainstream audience, particularly when it moves on to console (although of course you then have challenges with steering wheels. Anyone tried the new x360 wireless wheel yet?)

Tone Loc 20 November 2006 06:52 PM

I'm hoping the actual release is better than the demo, it felt far more TOCA for the PS2 than GTR. Just too much of an arcade feel rather than simulation :( I was definately disapointed.

I'll probably still buy it tho ;)

Tony.

Milamber 20 November 2006 10:45 PM

slight hijack here - I've never got on with steering wheels. Is it possible to play this with a keyboard at all, failing that an adaptor for my PS2 controller?

Edcase 20 November 2006 11:44 PM

possible...yes.

ideal...no.

flat4 21 November 2006 12:37 PM

release date? :Suspiciou please don't say next year :mad:

Neanderthal 21 November 2006 12:56 PM

24/11/06 :D :thumb:

So, Ed, would you recommend it?

flat4 21 November 2006 01:21 PM

3 days?! even i can wait that long :thumb:

kernel 21 November 2006 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Milamber
I've never got on with steering wheels. Is it possible to play this with a keyboard at all, failing that an adaptor for my PS2 controller?

Have you had your road car adapted then ;)

Edcase 21 November 2006 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
24/11/06 :D :thumb:

So, Ed, would you recommend it?

hmmmm.....overall, yes.

The 'racing' is fantastic. If your PC can handle the detail, you can happily have 25 cars on screen and they really do behave fantastically. I had a situation yesterday where the AI tried outdragging me on the straight at Monza, only to outbrake itself, and slide across my nose at the chicane into a mad spin! Very exciting.

It also has some great tracks like Magny Cours, however on the downside, I think some of the track visuals are slightly bland.

Definitely more accessible than GTR however, and equally as 'deep'.

flat4 22 November 2006 02:52 PM

just spent 275 quid making sure this will run on my machine :cuckoo: best be out this weekend after all that :mad::D

SlimJ_2005 22 November 2006 05:05 PM

Sounds good!

I quite liked the demo myself even though some said it felt 'wrong'. Had problems with the occasional stutter, otherwise dead smooth on an ageing P4 3.2ghz, 1gb ram, ATI 800XL! Has there been improvements made with the running of this game since the demo?

Will no doubt be getting this game at somepoint, but at the moment I'll be sticking with GTR2 and waiting to see what the reviews are like.

_RIP_ 22 November 2006 09:27 PM

GTR was hard, unfairly so. GTR 2 is much better in the physics dept and the AI is quite adjustable. How how does it stack up against GTR 2 Ed, force feedback etc?