ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   Scoobysport (or A. N. Other) backbox and insurance premiums (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/558898-scoobysport-or-a-n-other-backbox-and-insurance-premiums.html)

Bubba po 15 November 2006 09:11 PM

Scoobysport (or A. N. Other) backbox and insurance premiums

Has anyone with just an aftermarket backbox had any difficulty with their insurance company, or a rise in premium?

TIA. :)

GC8 15 November 2006 09:28 PM

Firms like Direct Line (and other call centre based companies) who rely on staff who arent techincally adept, seem to use a percentage based tarif. "Back box Sir? That'll be a further 25% please...". If you can move to a firm like Keith Michaels then each addition is reviewed by someone who understands what real difference it makes. A different exhaust, even a different turbocharger and ECU havent affected my premium; speak to Gary.

Simon

jimmy boo 16 November 2006 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Has anyone with just an aftermarket backbox had any difficulty with their insurance company, or a rise in premium?

TIA. :)

OOOPS:(
I knew there was something I had to do...ahem:Suspiciou

cookstar 16 November 2006 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by GC8
Firms like Direct Line (and other call centre based companies) who rely on staff who arent techincally adept, seem to use a percentage based tarif. "Back box Sir? That'll be a further 25% please...". If you can move to a firm like Keith Michaels then each addition is reviewed by someone who understands what real difference it makes. A different exhaust, even a different turbocharger and ECU havent affected my premium; speak to Gary.

Simon

Second that, all mods declaired (plus some planned ones) did not increase my premium at all :thumb:

andythejock01wrx 16 November 2006 08:21 AM

Thirded !

When I insured my mods with A-Plan, they took note of exactly what I'd done and went as far as to ask bhp increase. For remap,exhaust and handling mods the increase was just 10%.

Note though that A-Plan have "delgated authority". This means they decide what mods they can accept and how much to charge for them - seems to work out better !

Does GC8 work in insurance per chance ??

BatFink 16 November 2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon

Same here, installed some performance mods on my STi boosted power from 265 to around 350bhp/340lbft made £0 difference on my premium. :D
I'm with Greenlight.

speedking 16 November 2006 01:06 PM

Tesco increase premium significantly to cover power gains up to 10% by whatever means.

danfranklin1 16 November 2006 04:00 PM

Norwich Union (TP F+T) charged me about £20 for a ScoobySport decat mid section and ScoobySport rear box. As I was so happy with the result I didn't mind paying. But they want an extra £36 for a K&N panel filter (?!)

Bubba po 16 November 2006 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BatFink
Same here, installed some performance mods on my STi boosted power from 265 to around 350bhp/340lbft made £0 difference on my premium. :D
I'm with Greenlight.

Has anyone told you that someone else has your username, yet? :Suspiciou

EOEUMC 16 November 2006 07:45 PM

Just had a back box installed on my UK96 wagon. When I called the insurance company and explained what I had done he came back with a reply of “That’s going to be an extra £30 on your premium.”
I couldn’t believe it :( and asked if he was right as it’s only a minimal bhp increase if any.
Anyway, it was correct and I had a choice of either paying the £30 extra on the premium or have £50 added to my excess. So I had my excess increased to £320 instead

GC8 16 November 2006 08:58 PM

Has anyone told you that someone else has your username, yet? :Suspiciou

I meant to mention that to you! It will be easy to distinguish the adults from the children though.

Bubba po 21 November 2006 08:29 PM

Update:

The insurance want another HUNDRED QUID A YEAR for this fecker!

How much BHP increase comes from having one of these, if any? :)

GC8 21 November 2006 08:56 PM

5bhp perhaps. You need an insurer who understands the risk that they quote for.

Bubba po 21 November 2006 10:27 PM

Thanks, Simon. None of the other insurers get near our premium.

Lee247 21 November 2006 10:39 PM

Update:

The insurance want another HUNDRED QUID A YEAR for this fecker!

How much BHP increase comes from having one of these, if any? :)

How much :eek:
It only cost me £80 more pa, to go from the UK300 to the WR1

GC8 22 November 2006 02:17 AM

Thanks, Simon. None of the other insurers get near our premium.

Have you tried Gary at Keith Michaels? I reaslise that immediately after a claim is the worst possible time to look for quotes, but he might surprise you.

Simon

StickyMicky 22 November 2006 07:20 AM

you might not even get 5bhp TBH

just tell them its a stainless backbox which will not rust :)

GC8 22 November 2006 02:42 PM

Do you remember Pete Croney's adverts Mick? He'd have you believe that his back box was good for 30bhp.....

Moley 22 November 2006 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Does GC8 work in insurance per chance ??

Do you???

GC8 23 November 2006 05:44 PM

I hadnt seen that! I dont, no.

Simon

Bubba po 23 November 2006 06:34 PM

I'm just going to bite the bullet and insure it as it is.... there must be thousands of OEM backboxes in Scoobynetters' garages, just WAITING to be bestowed upon a needy Mr. Po. I'll convert my policy back when I've sourced one. :)

rallying1 23 November 2006 07:09 PM

Direct line tried to rip £150 out of my pocket for a pro drive back box, i managed to argue it down to £75 , but still that is fekin outragous, i am going with A plan next year!

GC8 23 November 2006 09:14 PM

I'm just going to bite the bullet and insure it as it is.... there must be thousands of OEM backboxes in Scoobynetters' garages, just WAITING to be bestowed upon a needy Mr. Po. I'll convert my policy back when I've sourced one. :)

Hayward & Scott make a stainless rear box which looks like the OEM part (apart from being made of stainless steel obviously). With that you can probably have your cake and eat it.

Simon

danfranklin1 23 November 2006 10:36 PM

Norwich Union were weird. When I originally phoned them for a quote for new backbox & decat mid section, they said something in the region of £40. Then when I took that on the chin and actually fitted the zorst, I phoned it in and the guy asks: "Does it increase performance"? I said, "well, really a matter of opinion, mostly doing it because it's stainless steel and therefore lasts, and it makes a good noise", was only billed £20. Odd.

Shark Man 23 November 2006 11:41 PM

I never got this backbox vs insurers rubbish

If you have a kwik fit or Bosal backbox. It's not OE (original) Therefore....;)

Especially when they give literally no real performance benefit (unless you read max power) :cuckoo:

Simply Reg 23 November 2006 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I never got this backbox vs insurers rubbish

If you have a kwik fit or Bosal backbox. It's not OE (original) Therefore....;)

Especially when they give literally no real performance benefit (unless you read max power) :cuckoo:

Very true. My feeling is they're legislating against the assumed mentality of the person that buys a scoobysport back box.

speedking 24 November 2006 12:24 AM

More likely that anyone who modifies their car (me included :)) is likely to use more of the performance than someone who is satisfied with a completely standard vehicle :(

Dunk 24 November 2006 10:35 AM

BP,
A plan insurance are well worth call. (£350 all mods declared for me, TPF&T)

D

Tony@Greenlight 24 November 2006 02:05 PM

The Greenlight perspective:

Like for like cover for the part & no increase in premium from most scheme Underwriters for a back box.

Hope this helps..

pslewis 24 November 2006 02:42 PM

Keith Michaels - via. Gary gave a good premium quote with BackBox declared.

I am with Liverpool & Victoria and it has taken an age to get some words from them reference the BackBox I propose to fit (a stainless steel one which has a lifetime guarantee from a bloke at work - single outlet rather than twin - no performance increase ... we all know a backbox does nothing to BHP!) ............... they have finally seen sense and allowed it if I stay with them (their official line was, originally, only replace with same spec. and type - until I said that any from Kwik-Fit are not same type or spec!)

A Plan have come in with a very good quote, just rang them a couple of hours ago, they will even allow low mileage Business Use (to and from sites).

Moral is to ring people who know whats what ...... I can recomend 'Keith Michaels' and 'APlan' - 'Greenlight' quoted £200 MORE than the others (not sure what went wrong there?????)