ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Iraq dead and BBC news site??! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/557539-iraq-dead-and-bbc-news-site.html)

hutton_d 10 November 2006 01:24 PM

Iraq dead and BBC news site??!

Hmmm. Saw the headline from the BBC news site this morning that said:
Iraqi official: War dead 150,000

Didn't read it then. as just on it again and saw:

Iraqi official: War dead 100,000

This time I did read it as i thought that it was a bit of a mis-count on someone's behalf! It says " .. Iraq's health minister says between 100,000 and 150,000 civilians have been killed in the war ... " [1]

So, reporting before all the facts were known? Or did the Beeb change the headline to make it less controversial and, if so, of their own account or did someone lean on them???

Just thought I'd start another conspiracy theory ..... !

Dave

1: whether 100 or 150K - the figure is pretty horrendous.

alcazar 10 November 2006 01:56 PM

I'd heard the total dead since the invasion was closer to three quarters of a million:eek:

Alcazar

Brendan Hughes 10 November 2006 02:23 PM

I've seen plenty of misprints on the Beeb site before. Given that we know some companies mistakenly offer laptops for £1.50 etc, I don't see the need to go all KGB about it. And let's face it, they were judged as not properly checking their facts by Hutton, so it could be the Directors just trying to be accurate.

hutton_d 10 November 2006 02:34 PM

Actually what I mean is that the 'Minister said '100K to 150k' and firstly the headline said 150k then later it said 100K. Like they were trying to tone it down for some reason ....

Maybe nothing in it ... just that it fits in with the Beeb's political stance before now ...

Dave

Hah! Who can edit things now .... doh .....!!

Brendan Hughes 10 November 2006 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Actually what I mean is that the 'Minister said '100K to 150k' and firstly the headline said 15k then later it said 100K.

Ah but Dave, it's easy to publish a misprint on a website ;)

alcazar 10 November 2006 06:14 PM

They also recently altered their reporting of the number of accidents due to speeding, upping it in the headlines after a very few hours, but the small print explained that the "new" figure" was "accidents due to inappropriate speed" which is NOT the same as speeding, but is OK for Lying Labour propaganda.

Alcazar

Leslie 11 November 2006 11:31 AM

They said originally when asked that no figures had been kept on the number of Iraqi civilians that were killed as a result of the war. This was obviously very convenient as an excuse not to reveal the actual destruction wreaked during the war.

Any figure published now has to be treated with utmost suspicion.

Les

ricardo 11 November 2006 01:09 PM

It doesn't always appear to work properly, but this site shows the way the news articles are changed over time:

News Sniffer

It also has a section showing the 'Have Your say' comments that are censored...