ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Car insurance question/advice on 2 week old Audi RS4 (Want it written off) (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/557498-car-insurance-question-advice-on-2-week-old-audi-rs4-want-it-written-off.html)

Contigo 10 November 2006 11:07 AM

Car insurance question/advice on 2 week old Audi RS4 (Want it written off)

Hi Guys,

I was rear ended last week in my two week old Audi RS 4 and the guy hit me at 50mph. He has admitted liability and his inurance company have also acknowledged this too.

Looking in the boot under the carpet the chassis has gone from being straigh to looking concertinered (S shaped)

I obviosuly don't want to get back in the car as I have lost confidence.

The bodyshop have quoted 3k in labour.

There seems to be three possibiliites

1) Car will be repaired with a rear chassis leg weld and it will be restored to factory standard (although the inevitable leaks will develop)

2) Reshell the car and add all the components e.g transmission and drivetrain from my old car.

3) Write it off and replace the vehicle under the new car cover I have on my policy.

I also have GAP too so I should stand to get a full list price refund if they can't source me a new car.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get them to write it off? After all it's the other parties insurance who will be footing the bill, not mine.

Thanks in advance.

Brendan Hughes 10 November 2006 11:15 AM

two week old brand new or s/h?

If brand new, surely it would have to be repaired by Audi to official Audi standards (keeping warranty), so it should be good enough?

And I thought an RS4 is worth 30k+, so how can they write it off for 3k of repairs?

jonnyh 10 November 2006 11:17 AM

They are not going to write off a car worth £50k based on a £3k repair bill. You will have to check your policy for the level at which you are entitled to a new car (I thought it was if the repair cost was >50% of the purchase price).

The best thing to do is insist on an Audi approved repairer and then sell the car on if you are that unhappy with driving a repaired car.

(£3k in labour for a 50mph smash sounds very low BTW. ny pictures?)

555Rob555 10 November 2006 11:21 AM

3k in labour is no where near enough to write off a brand new RS4. The insurance company can't be held liable for "loss of confidence". If they were, cars would be written off for cracked windscreens etc.
If it is repaired to Audi quality, there should be no dramas with leaks, or resale.
If you still have an issue with it, you will have to take it on the chin and sell it.

Contigo 10 November 2006 11:28 AM

Brand New 56 plate.

That's 3k in labour without parts (so 1 week of work), will need new exhaust, struts, and shell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...C/DSC02323.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...icture-1-1.jpg

spectrum48k 10 November 2006 11:56 AM

lovely motor - I bet you felt like hitting the bloke!

ddb85 10 November 2006 11:59 AM

:( :( :(

wez_sti 10 November 2006 12:30 PM

Lovely car mate, real shame

I dont think theres a snowball in hells chance of them writing it off though

Sorry dude

LG John 10 November 2006 12:38 PM

There is absolutely no way that was hit at 50mph - not even close!!! If he hit you at 50mph the boot would be completely crumpled - as it's designed to do.

I realise this has nothing to do with the thread - just saying :D

wez_sti 10 November 2006 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
There is absolutely no way that was hit at 50mph - not even close!!! If he hit you at 50mph the boot would be completely crumpled - as it's designed to do.

I realise this has nothing to do with the thread - just saying :D

Could of been hit at 50 mph, depends what speed the Audi was going though

mg driver 10 November 2006 12:45 PM

correct ,but if the audi was stationery then the offending car didnt hit at even 20 mph imo.

wez_sti 10 November 2006 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mg driver
correct ,but if the audi was stationery then the offending car didnt hit at even 20 mph imo.

agreed :thumb:

50 mph into a stationary car would be CARnage

...see what i did there.. :D

T4molie 10 November 2006 01:02 PM

Man you must be gutted, I know I would be :(

I very much doubt they'll write it off though.

J4CKO 10 November 2006 01:06 PM

Ill have it, Ill just stick an S3 badge on to make up for the loss in length !

GrahamG 10 November 2006 01:32 PM

Very nice car, such a shame! Looks like it has taken both rear wings.

Contigo 10 November 2006 01:46 PM

It has taken the wings but it's also crumpled the rear chassis so that the car is about 5cm shorter.

It will need reshelling.

I was moving at a slowish speed and not totally stationary come to think of it.

It's all a bit of a hazxe but I know he hit me very hard.

stilover 10 November 2006 02:15 PM

Repair it, then sell it.

Then order a new one in Black :thumb:

Contigo 10 November 2006 02:35 PM

What and become a Pimp?

Looks unclassy in Black imo

wez_sti 10 November 2006 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Contigo
What and become a Pimp?

I really like that colour.

Looks a bit mean but cool and classy

quite a few cars about in that colour that look good, Lambo Murch, RX8's, EVO's etc...

Brendan Hughes 10 November 2006 03:26 PM

Anyone got any ideas how I can get them to write it off?

Tell them to ask the apprentice to weld the crack in the petrol tank :norty:

Note, this suggestion is a joke and the author is in no way liable for the repair or replacement of apprentices.

stilover 10 November 2006 03:31 PM

What and become a Pimp?

Eh? Really?

My old man has one in Black, and I think it's the best colour in the RS4.

I could just be biased though ;)

alwong 10 November 2006 03:46 PM

Sorry but they will not change the car. Nice car though.

Petem95 10 November 2006 04:15 PM

Great looking car! Probably the colour I would chose.

Zero chance of that being write-off however!

RON 10 November 2006 06:15 PM

I don't even think they'll need to 'shell it'..... they'll tug that straight for sure......

workshy_fopp 10 November 2006 06:21 PM

If you've got finance, couldn't you just hand the car back and say you can't afford it and take whatever penalty.
Also what about the GAP insurance. Does that only cover you in case of a total loss / theft etc. ?

jasonius 10 November 2006 07:09 PM

take it back to Audi and say you've just noticed a fault in the bodywork..!:D

J4CKO 10 November 2006 09:25 PM

Why couldnt it be my old Saab instead of that superb machine, I quite like the Saab but it would get written off for a scratch.

Dave uk blue mica 11 November 2006 11:36 PM

that won't need a re-shell, it'll pull out and be repaired, loads worse get put back on the road

ZIPPY 12 November 2006 08:27 PM

Agree with many of the last few posts, that will never be re-shelled in a million years.

A couple of hours on a laser jig and it will be as good as new. £3k labour proves its no re-shell job, otherwise you would be looking at closer to £10k.

I would also say impact was sub 25 MPH, as you where also moving you have reduced the impact damage.

Its annoying when this happens to any new car never mind a £50k one.

Scoobedoo 12 November 2006 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by stilover
Repair it, then sell it.

Then order a new one in Black :thumb:

yeah but it'll show up on HPi as being recorded as having an accident to any new buyer (if they have one done).

can you get some other repair estimates.... some that are deliberatley expensive - this may assist your insurance company to writing it off. By rights you can choose any repairer you want, not the one the insurance company specify.