ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Removing steering wheel - ******* !!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/555692-removing-steering-wheel.html)

ady4526 02 November 2006 07:47 PM

Removing steering wheel - ******* !!!!

Trying to take the steering wheel of my 2001 bug - but its not having it. Taken the airbag off, undone the centre nut, tried to pull it off but its not budging

Am I missing something (other than my spinach !!) Is there something else that needs undoing ?

Also if the ******* does ever come off and my new sti wheels goes on will the airbag just clip in and be ok- does it need re setting etc ?

Thanks

Ady

Mangel 02 November 2006 07:55 PM

put the nut back on about three turns.:idea:

grab the steering wheel at 9 15 position with hands and the wiggle it from side to side while apply constant pressure towards you.:thumb:

it will not as haynes say 'glide apart' it will take som serious force but it will come.:mad:

don't ever do this without the nut on or you will be drinking your lunch through a straw and talking like john merrick.:freak3: :eek:

dunno about the air bag.

good luck.!!!!:luxhello:

Midlife...... 02 November 2006 11:06 PM

Andy

I guess you have got the Sti loom and spinner etc !!

for best info on putting an Sti Steering wheel into the bugeye "Butty" has some pics and there have been quite a number of threads. You have to drill another hole as the bolts don't match up so it's not just a simple swap ....!

Shaun

DARKDESTROYER9 02 November 2006 11:09 PM

put the key in the ignition to relase the steering lock dont shoot me if this has already been done

ScuuBdoo 02 November 2006 11:10 PM

where would ya be without a can of WD40.

I found tapping (lightly) the steering wheel from behind with a hammer worked a treat. Do this then pull on the wheel some more. Then tap it again working your way around the back of the steering wheel.

webby v7 slipperwagon 02 November 2006 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mangel
put the nut back on about three turns.:idea:

grab the steering wheel at 9 15 position with hands and the wiggle it from side to side while apply constant pressure towards you.:thumb:

it will not as haynes say 'glide apart' it will take som serious force but it will come.:mad:

don't ever do this without the nut on or you will be drinking your lunch through a straw and talking like john merrick.:freak3: :eek:

dunno about the air bag.

good luck.!!!!:luxhello:

Good to see another Brummy:thumb:

webby v7 slipperwagon 02 November 2006 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ady4526
Trying to take the steering wheel of my 2001 bug - but its not having it. Taken the airbag off, undone the centre nut, tried to pull it off but its not budging

Am I missing something (other than my spinach !!) Is there something else that needs undoing ?

Also if the ******* does ever come off and my new sti wheels goes on will the airbag just clip in and be ok- does it need re setting etc ?

Thanks

Ady

Do exactly as told, leave the nut on and give it a good tug. If you are changing to a new age STI V8/9 S/W then you will also need the clock spring/black plastic pack that is screwewd to the aluminium housing, otherwise you will have no airbag or horn etc...:thumb:

PeteBrant 03 November 2006 09:34 AM

Or, leave the nut off and make sure someone is video recording it - You would become the stuff of legend.

Optical Race 03 November 2006 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Or, leave the nut off and make sure someone is video recording it - You would become the stuff of legend.

Then sue Subaru for the airbag faling to go off :lol1: :lol1:

scoobydooooo 03 November 2006 10:38 AM

what a load of hassle just to put an sti steering wheel on !!

Midlife...... 03 November 2006 11:59 AM

Scooobydooooo

Have you driven a bygeye WRX with the huge oem steering wheel ?? the damn thing almost touches the A pillar !! LOL

Good mod IMHO despite the hassle :D :D

Shaun

Neanderthal 03 November 2006 12:35 PM

Where are people getting the STi wheels from? salvage or new from Subaru? how much are they?

scooby-tc 03 November 2006 07:10 PM

i Bought my STi 8 wheel (with silver airbag middle bit) from a guy on here for £150 iirc looks lovely in my classic :thumb: and the airbag light goes off after a few seconds as it should :D

RON 03 November 2006 10:59 PM

My classic with STI8? wheel..... looks more at home than the standard wheel if you ask me....:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/finished.jpg

Midlife...... 03 November 2006 11:34 PM

I got my STi steering wheel from "butty".... :)

I'm not sure how much it cost but I seem to remember asking my local dealer about a price and they could't decide on £800 without the airbag or £1200 with the airbag as well !!

Ron has the "late" Sti wheel....... lesser mortals have the silver version :)

Midlife.....