ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Transportdirect.info - 'Integrated transport' route finder (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/554798-transportdirect-info-integrated-transport-route-finder.html)

TopBanana 30 October 2006 09:02 AM

Transportdirect.info - 'Integrated transport' route finder

Even as find myself regularly knocking the government's transport policies, I have to concede this website is spot on. It links bus / walk / train portions of your journey - and it seems remarkably accurate so far.

Transport Direct - Britain's free online journey planner

No, had nothing to do with its creation - just think it's good!

hutton_d 30 October 2006 09:25 AM

Tried it for me from my house (near Wokingham - close to M4) to my brothers in Cornwall (less than 1/4 mile from a BR station. Made it easy and let them choose almost any option to travel, just said no ferries (there aren't any except maybe the Torpoint ferry which is way off course!) and no tolls.

It came up with:

"Error
Sorry we are currently unable to obtain journey options using the details you have entered. Please help us to investigate this further by completing a feedback form (do this by clicking 'Contact us' at the bottom of the page)"

Didn't investigate any further - a map or my Garmin sat. nav. are what i'l use. Plus I can use them in the car ...

Dave

Dr Hu 30 October 2006 10:03 AM

Actually that's pretty good - I'm no lover of pubic transport, but thats a good start to getting an 'integrated' transport system.

Still take me 2 hrs to get to work, instead of 1 in the car, but still its an option I suppose.

jjones 30 October 2006 10:29 AM

to get from my home to the workplace in time for the 08:30 start i have to leave at 15:20 the previous day. and only 11 hours to get home in the evening :D

prefer to take the 25 mins direct route in the car.

stilover 30 October 2006 10:39 AM

10 Min in my car to work and back each way or ......

50 min each way using Public transport.

I'll stick to my car thanks.

FlightMan 30 October 2006 12:17 PM

My daily commute is Ash Vale to Heathrow. Leaving at 07:15, I'm in work for 08:00. Costs me approx £4.25 a day.
Using the "intergrated transport system" it takes me 2 hours and 3 minutes, and costs £15.90.

Even a sandal wearing, lentil eating greenie can see that thats a non-starter,as I suspect it is for millions of other people.

WTF are these people on?

TopBanana 30 October 2006 04:25 PM

Looks like it still needs some work then! Shame, as it worked perfectly for my this morning.

andyr 30 October 2006 10:08 PM

Looks quite good : if however we all take cars as it saves a few minutes ...

ChapmanCentral :: Highway Robbery, or: where did all the space go?

AndyC_772 30 October 2006 10:50 PM

Well, OK - but taking my own journey to work as an example:

1 Bus, Train, Walk 2 08:14 09:47 1hour, 33 mins
2 Bus, Walk 3 08:56 10:36 1hour, 40 mins
3 Bus, Train, Walk 1 09:08 10:47 1hour, 39 mins
4 Car 0 08:00 08:23 23 mins / 12.5miles

So, all of the public transport routes take around four times LONGER than driving. That's what Mr Chapman's picture fails (quite spectacularly) to take into account - any space saving per person is cancelled out by the fact that each person is occupying that space for many times longer than would otherwise be the case.

Also, remind me again how much space an empty bus lane uses..

SupaMiniCupa 31 October 2006 08:02 AM

The public transport route was definitely useful, though doesn't take into account all the minor road shortcuts...

David Lock 31 October 2006 09:45 AM

Costs woud be useful.

Also in the days of the mobile some bus company phone numbers to use when bus doesn't show.

It'll have Carbon Use added next year :)

SJ_Skyline 31 October 2006 10:08 AM

I'm in Reading today.

By car the site reckoned 1:32 and Mr. TomTom reckoned 58 minutes
By public transport the site reckoned 2:23 (What the site didn't point out that this involved treking through central London!)

No contest, the car won! :lol1:

hutton_d 31 October 2006 07:33 PM

Just did it for my trip to work. 4 miles and 15 mins' tops even if the kids are back. The car trip they said was 9.3 miles and 1/2 hour .... doh ....

Quite impressed by the PT option though. It actually did exactly what should happen for the shortest route. Trouble is in involves walking for 30 mins on top of a bus then train journey ... let me think about that ... (total 46 mins).

Or I could walk for over 1/2 hour and get two buses ....

They don't have fares for the buses etc but 4 miles @40mpg is about 50p ...

No contest in my book.

Dave