ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   why can't i download bittorrents? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/554089-why-cant-i-download-bittorrents.html)

scoobyboy 26 October 2006 10:05 PM

why can't i download bittorrents?

why is it when i try to download a bittorrent it only downloads about 127k of 300-400mb? im using bittorrent osx for the mac but just can't seem to get it working.
i really want to see the new series of lost but at the minute it looks like i'll have to get the boxsets when they come out

myblackwrx 27 October 2006 08:43 AM

Have you manage to download any torrents to completion?

555Rob555 27 October 2006 08:52 AM

Please excuse the interuption, but do you know of any good torrent download sites?
I only know mininova and google only seems to come up with legal sites.:confused:

lightning101 27 October 2006 08:53 AM

What port forwarding have you done ?

Are your open ports in the 50-60000 range ?

Is your software and hardware(router) firewall allowing the necessary UDP and TCP flow ?

unfeasablylargegonads 27 October 2006 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 555Rob555
Please excuse the interuption, but do you know of any good torrent download sites?
I only know mininova and google only seems to come up with legal sites.:confused:

Torrents Search Engine is like a google for torrents ;)

MrBush 27 October 2006 05:39 PM

Try this, its a torrent search engine of torrent search engins if that makes any sence!

Torrent Genie

I find that Torrentspy.com and Bushtorrent are quite good! :thumb:

scoobyboy 27 October 2006 07:16 PM

nope no torrents at all
the only port i can find is a tcp port which is 6881 is this ok?
i can download normal stuff like pictures, pages, and music so would my firewall be ok

Markus 27 October 2006 07:47 PM

Who is your ISP? It could be that the ISP is blocking you from downloading Torrents.

James Neill 27 October 2006 08:30 PM

Find the option to turn on encryption. This may help if your ISP is blocking torrent downloads as they will no longer be able to identify that its a torrent download.

stormmy 27 October 2006 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 555Rob555

Use Bitcomet, it has access to many good site's listed in it's built in browser.

BitComet - A powerful C++ BitTorrent Client for file-sharing

scoobyboy 28 October 2006 01:18 PM

i use bt broadband so i think it's yahoo and i can't seem to find any encryption option?

555Rob555 28 October 2006 01:41 PM

It's not something daft like your firewall blocking is it??

Just a thought.:p

myblackwrx 28 October 2006 01:49 PM

I was told never to use port 6881 as this was the 'standard' port I use Azereus and in the set up it allows you to change the port number and test it to see if it is 'good'.
my mate is with BT and he has no trouble in downloading torrents (you should see the amount his has on his various harddrives:norty: )

ronjeramy 28 October 2006 02:19 PM

are the torrents that your trying to download still active? is there any seeds?

scoobyboy 28 October 2006 03:40 PM

i think there are seeds as i have tried to download files that are being downloaded by other people just in case that was the problem.
my firewall is definatly off.
myblackwrx are you using a mac? i tried azereus and still had the same problem?

scoobyboy 28 October 2006 03:52 PM

ok bit of success it now displays the title and a bar to show how much is left to down load, but theres still nothing happening even the little download arrow that shows your speed is showing 0.

scoobyboy 28 October 2006 04:06 PM

right for some reason it has now started to download stuff!?!?!? but it says download time is 2 days! is this right?

scoobyboy 28 October 2006 11:15 PM

seems to be slowly sorting itself out it's done the first episode of lost series 3 and is doing the second as we speak! it's now listing times as 1.5 hrs.

scrap that it's just stopped :(

myblackwrx 28 October 2006 11:26 PM

Sorry for the lateess of my reply but no not using a mac.
When u see the times it is all dependant on how quickly the seeds are uploading and having alot of seeds/peers doesn't mean you will get good speeds.
Did you change the port you are using?
Glad to see it is working though.:thumb:

scoobyboy 28 October 2006 11:51 PM

so does that mean then it's best to look for lower no.s of seeds and peers?
i set the port to something like 55000 and it seems to work albeit a bit slow

myblackwrx 29 October 2006 11:08 AM

Good torrent - AzureusWiki

obviously this for azereus but i would expect the principle to be the same for most torrent systems (i may be wrong though)