ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   MG ZR alarm/immobiliser problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/553551-mg-zr-alarm-immobiliser-problem.html)

nickwrxstiV2 24 October 2006 07:53 PM

MG ZR alarm/immobiliser problem

I've got a mate who has had a problem with his MG ZR1.4.

Basically the key fob will not open the door or cut the immobiliser. The key fob has not got an LED on it, so he's changed the battery in both fobs to try again......no avail! He can get in to the car by using the key in the lock, if he tries to start it, the alarm goes off.

He's tried all of the local dealers, Carcraft (whose warrenty doesn't cover electricals!) and local auto electricians - all of whom don't want to know!

Can anybody help/point me in the right direction?:confused:

Please!!!!!!

Shark Man 24 October 2006 07:58 PM

Probably needs reprogramming.

Simple 2min job for any garage with a decent ECU programming/diagnostic tool. Should cost about £20.

The system can be manually overidden by using the PIN supplied with the car and using key in the door lock to enter the code (lock, unlock, lock unlock etc...read the owner's manual..I can't remember :p )

Does the spare key fob work?

robby 24 October 2006 08:03 PM

as sharkman says - he needs the KAC - Key Access Code which is a 4 digit pin
using the drivers door lock he turns the key left/ right/ left/ right to input it (eg - if the first number is 4 then he turns the lock left 4 times as in left/ centre/ left/ centre/ left/ centre/ left/ centre)
The number should be on a security card in the handbook pack or he'll have to find a Rover dealer?

nickwrxstiV2 24 October 2006 08:05 PM

Robby & Shark Man - Thanks,

I'm going to give him a buzz and get him to try this method out!

I'll post back soon!

nickwrxstiV2 24 October 2006 08:18 PM

:freak3: He can't find the security card with the KAC on it!

nickwrxstiV2 24 October 2006 08:19 PM

[quote=Shark Man
Does the spare key fob work?[/quote]

It doesn't!

Shark Man 24 October 2006 08:19 PM

Well he's screwed then.

Needs a garage who has invested in a diagnostic tool that can access The ECU's security options. The ones that aren't interested in doing the work probably don't have the equipment. Any garage advertising that they can program new key fobs should be able to do it.

The ECU stores the key fobs ID code, if it somehow forgets this, the fobs will no longer work. They shouldn't do this, but I have seen it happen (Rovers, eh? :rolleyes: ;) ) .

nickwrxstiV2 24 October 2006 08:28 PM

OK found it and tried it! No luck!

After the 2nd digit the alarm sounds???????

Anyone?

s70rjw 24 October 2006 09:36 PM

Wife had 4 different keys under warranty for hers. She sold it as the main dealer couldn't fix it. The best they could do was allow it to arm/ disarm using thr drivers door lock.