ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Yellow poles on the M4 around Membury (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/553508-yellow-poles-on-the-m4-around-membury.html)

Dr.No 24 October 2006 05:55 PM

Yellow poles on the M4 around Membury

Spotted these yellow camera gantries/poles going up over the last few days (in pairs, around a mile apart, either side of Membury services - both carriageways), and today noticed that one of them had what appeared to be 2-lane SPECS cameras fitted (ie two sets of cameras).

Does anyone know if they are indeed SPECS cameras as I can't find anything about them anywhere. The yellow pole has an odd 'logo' in the right-angle (where the vertical pole meets horizontal) which I can't find any reference to either - looks like a W or summut....

Any ideas? Anyone heard about SPECS cameras appearing on the M4?

Could they be / are they anything else?

DN

Dr.No 24 October 2006 05:57 PM

Well, doing some more research on SPECS and guess what I found - the odd W or M logo.... found it here:

Speed Check - SPECS, speed check, road safety UK, speed cameras, variable message signs, speed reducers

So - confirmed - they ARE SPECS cameras.

MattW 24 October 2006 06:13 PM

Yes there are roadworks along that stretch Oct 31 to Dec 22

Dr.No 24 October 2006 06:19 PM

Yes, I noticed a sign saying that much as well.... let's hope that they are just there for that - and that after the roadworks go that the cameras go with them!

They appear fairly permanent from what I can see at the moment....

Chelspeed 24 October 2006 09:01 PM

Yeah I spotted them tonight. There were lines of cones along the hard shoulder but all three lanes still open and no temporary speed limits. I trust they're not switched on yet, doing the 70mph thing, otherwise I'm well in the poo. The Origin said naught.

andy97 24 October 2006 09:08 PM

Dont forget to start zig-zagging

r32 25 October 2006 07:21 AM

Like some one mentioned if you change lanes through each set of cameras they cant do you for speeding .............. not a bad thing to do anyway just in case.

MattW 25 October 2006 08:55 AM

Contraflow and 40mph now in force westbound. Assume Eastbound will be setup today.

scoobynutta555 25 October 2006 10:48 AM

Look forward to the stupidly low 40 mph day and night and when there's no workmen about ;)

Why was this changed from 50! In ten years time it'll be 30 for roadworks.

MattW 25 October 2006 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Look forward to the stupidly low 40 mph day and night and when there's no workmen about ;)

Why was this changed from 50! In ten years time it'll be 30 for roadworks.

To be fair it looks as there are reduced width lanes and the works are in the outside lanes.

Leslie 25 October 2006 11:35 AM

Maybe the Poles have got Jaundice!

les

TelBoy 25 October 2006 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by andy97
Dont forget to start zig-zagging

Come again? :confused:

scoobynutta555 25 October 2006 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Come again? :confused:

I'd imagine following the Daily Mail reports that changing lanes between camera settings you can evade being caught (allegedly)