ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   New highpitched whoosh sound (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/552876-new-highpitched-whoosh-sound.html)

PeteBrant 21 October 2006 08:01 PM

New highpitched whoosh sound

So yesterday my classic started to produce a very fainted high pitched whistling sound. At first I thought it was a police car some distance away, because that's exactly what it sounds like - A police siren that it miles away - It's really faint and it connected to throttle action.

However, it doesn't do it when the car is standing still, only when moving, and above 2.5K - so it must be turbo related. You only notice it when driving sedatly - the turbo whine and engine noise comes of the top of it and drowns it out once you put your foot down.

I don't have a boost guage, so I don't know if I am losing any pressure - And I haven't noticed a drop in performance. It's booked in with Len at subaru4you in a couple of weeks, so I'll ask him about it when I am up there. It's definitely coming from the drivers side

In the meantime, any ideas?

M555JHE 21 October 2006 08:38 PM

sounds like a split boost pipe or maybe a pipe come off the manifold somewhere?

PeteBrant 21 October 2006 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by M555JHE
sounds like a split boost pipe or maybe a pipe come off the manifold somewhere?

Yeah thats what I was thinking - I can't see any hoses off, but a split is a possbility - I guess I am going to have to wait for it to get worse before I can spot it though. I couldn't see any obvious gaping holes.

M555JHE 22 October 2006 08:20 PM

what year is it? have you increased the boost? if you have the hard plastic pipe from turbo to intercooler, they are prone to splitting.

PeteBrant 22 October 2006 11:21 PM

It's a MY98 - No, boost is normal. It only started doing it Friday. Am now paranoid - as I am sure there is a high pitched whislte coming in just before the turbo spools up too - I can control the pitch of both noises with my right foot.

Can make some nice tunes, but I really would rather not to be able to :)

PeteBrant 22 October 2006 11:36 PM

Did a search and found this post...

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...hlight=whistle

when turbos are worn they tend to sound like a police siren and you think they are behind you with the sirens going.
and johnfelstead i take it then you've removed turbos from imprezas it's not a quick job and i could understand a couple of days to remove considering there will be other jobs booked in. but what i dont understand is if it's covered by the warranty still why dont they just replace it we would coz it saves so much time.
I do hope my turbo isn't going to give up on me :(

PeteBrant 23 October 2006 12:47 PM

Argh. Just spoken to Len @ Subaru4you - From my description is does indeed sound like a turbo on its way out.

Now I just need to convince the warranty company to give me a replacement without it actually failing first.

Butty 23 October 2006 01:21 PM

Rule out the easy/cheap things first.
The MY97/98 cars have a plastic recirc valve that is prone to failure.
It cracks open too early , resulting in a high pitch "moo" or like blowing over the top of a bottle, when on boost from about 2500 - 3500 rpm.

Nick

PeteBrant 23 October 2006 01:57 PM

Oh I am sure that Len will check the cheaper options first. But thanks for the tip.

Imagine for one second I am a lay man, and have no idea where the recirc valve is, or what it looks like, or how I would tell if it's cracked. What would you tell me to do? :D

ClintUK 23 October 2006 03:15 PM

I've had similar noise and i think it turned out to be large hose from intercooler to manifold not sealing properly.

Again I didn't seem to be loosing performance, but under boost conditions you'll only need a tiny leak to make a noise.

My noise was only on boost though. I thought it was turbo, but turrned out (I think) to be the cheap easy option.

Check all hoses and clips are tight etc... fingers crossed M8