ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Driving Dynamics (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/)
-   -   Power/Torque V Drivetrain? (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/552707-power-torque-v-drivetrain.html)

P1 FEK 20 October 2006 10:49 PM

Power/Torque V Drivetrain?

How much power/torque will the standard P1 drivetrain, gearbox, clutch etc take?

bighead 21 October 2006 12:36 AM

mines around the 380-400bhp/320lbs/ft mark..no problem so far :)

charlesk 21 October 2006 06:33 AM

Just bear in mind that it is torque not power that will kill you clutch/gear box. Another factor is how smooth/sudden is the transition from off boost to full boost.

A nice smooth torque curve will be much more transmition friendly than a sudden "bang".

At around 330-340lb/ft I would expect a stock clutch not to live for very long... The P1 G/box should be ok for a bit more if not abused.

P1 FEK 21 October 2006 12:54 PM

I have a standard P1 gearbox with an uprated organic clutch running about 310lb/ft and am about to change the turbo, injectors and remap and was wondering how much more the drivetrain will handle?

p1mark 26 October 2006 02:00 PM

Im running 405/345 through standard P1 box and AP organic clutch. Been on track and dont hang around on the road - But i dont do standing full bore starts.

Been 100% reliable in 10K miles now, and still feels as good as new.

Many peoples standard clutches start letting go during a remap after an upgrade!

New_scooby_04 27 October 2006 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by P1 FEK
I have a standard P1 gearbox with an uprated organic clutch running about 310lb/ft and am about to change the turbo, injectors and remap and was wondering how much more the drivetrain will handle?

There is no definitive limit mate; some let go at stock power, others put up with significantly higher levels, as some of the contributions to this thread will testify. Previous useage, driving style and mapping are big factors though. If the bo is a good un and hasn't been abused, the car is sympathetically mapped and you don't do full bore launches/gearchanges, you have a good chance of the gearbox holding up. If not then.............

Ns04

911 28 October 2006 07:32 AM

I think Ns04 is right.

I have an Sti v3 with about 380 x 360, an AP organic (great clutch imo) and a stock trans.
The car is hillclimbed and uses very sticky tyres, but has survived 4 years of full bore drag starts from 5000 rpm/dump the clutch and 14000 road miles.

On those starts there can be quite a lot of wheelspin on one or more wheels which cushsions the impact I think = survival.
If you did the same on the road on a high-grip surface then I doubt things would last.

Another factor is using the clutch to change gear (!) smoothly and be especially carefull going into/out of 3rd.
DropShots Day
Graham

PAS 28 October 2006 03:10 PM

360 bhp was enough for my classic gearbox to take on track.

911 You know you can only say hillcliming in a post so many times then you run out lol.