ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Free alternative to Itunes (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/552495-free-alternative-to-itunes.html)

mart360 19 October 2006 11:04 PM

Free alternative to Itunes

Winamp now have a free ipod plugin

allows playlists etc, but has the ability to Delete single / multiple files from your ipod, and its one hell of a lot faster than i tunes at syncing and updownloading

well woth a look

mart

Lee247 19 October 2006 11:08 PM

I currently pay Napster a tenner a month, then .79p for every song burnt.
Is it worth cancelling for this then :wonder:

mart360 19 October 2006 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 84of300
I currently pay Napster a tenner a month, then .79p for every song burnt.
Is it worth cancelling for this then :wonder:

Its not a p2p system, its a plugin that allows transfering of files from you pc to your pod, without itunes bloatware and unfriendly archaic front end.

Mart

Lee247 19 October 2006 11:33 PM

Sorry, I am not up on this stuff.
Mart, is Napster worth the money or is there something else out there :)
I ask because my kids want to burn stuff to cds and put stuff on their ipods and it can get a bit expensive with two of them :)

mart360 19 October 2006 11:50 PM

MP3 Download, music mp3 downloads. ALLOFMP3.

from the sun yesterday, very cheap , bit controversial at the mo though

mart

jonathan100 20 October 2006 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 84of300
Sorry, I am not up on this stuff.
Mart, is Napster worth the money or is there something else out there :)
I ask because my kids want to burn stuff to cds and put stuff on their ipods and it can get a bit expensive with two of them :)

Just use limewire it's illegal but hey it free lol:Whatever_

davegtt 20 October 2006 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jonathan100
Just use limewire it's illegal but hey it free lol:Whatever_

But its crap. Emule is the way to go :lol1:

Graz 20 October 2006 12:34 PM

Nah BitTorrent - Can get whole albums or even entire discographies then :norty:

But it's illegal so don't do it kids ;)

JackClark 20 October 2006 01:00 PM

Apparently Visa and Mastercard are refusing to take payments from allofmp3.com, good job I say.

Markus 20 October 2006 01:11 PM

I've used allofmp3 and ignoring the questionable legality of it, it's a fantastic service, the site is very well designed, the range of music is pretty good, plus the pricing is spot on. I think part of the problem the music companies have is that they don't like not getting their large share of profits. Granted they are probably getting very little if anything from allofmp3, however it does show how an online music service should be run and priced, and they don't like that.

There was a thread on slashdot about Visa/Mastercard removing their services from allofmp3 so you can't use those creditcards to pay for music, though I'm sure you can still go to alltunes and setup an account there and use it with allofmp3. This thread also mentions a few other alternatives to allofmp3 as well, not that I'd ever condone the illegal download of anything

TopBanana 20 October 2006 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Markus
it does show how an online music service should be run and priced.

What they don't like is someone stealing their property. It's easy to sell things cheap when you don't pay their rightful owner their dues. Would you buy a nicked TV down the pub?

Account deleted by request 20 October 2006 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Would you buy a nicked TV down the pub?

Yep :thumb:

chop

TopBanana 20 October 2006 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by chopper.
Yep :thumb:

Scum :thumb:

mart360 20 October 2006 08:58 PM

I think its quite hypocritical of V & MC to take this stance, there quite happy for you to run up cc debt, and then charge huge fees/ interest rates and make s*itloads back off you. prehaps they should give some of the fees they charge to the artists if they feel that bad.

it makes me laugh, the record industry has been bleating about piracy for 20 odd years now, and how home taping is killing the music industry, whilst shamlessly screwing us at every oppertunity. vinyl records used to cost £6 yet tapes £7 not too bad in the eighty,s and on average you got anywhere between 12-18 tracks, lasting just over 60 mins, sometimes more.

then in came cd and the price rocketed to £15 on av, a max of 73 minutes, and 9 tracks if you were lucky, they did the same with mini disc,

i used to buy an album every week in the eightys at £6 a throw if you got a bad one it wasnt to bad, but paying £15 for a lemon was a huge hit.

If they had prehaps looked to the future with foresight, they may have come out of this reasonably well, but the ££ signs were all they see, so its not surprising people get there stuff elsewhere. Half the problem with them is they dont release all of there back catolouge,s or if they do you could never buy individual tracks. always an overpriced compilation, when you only wanted 1 song.

if somene offers it cheaper and its legal then good on them
mart