ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   School bans games of "tag" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/552165-school-bans-games-of-tag.html)

Markus 18 October 2006 05:50 PM

School bans games of "tag"

Was given this link by a co-worker. At first I misread what he had said to me and thought he was talking about Tag body spray, which one Canadian school board was talking about banning, which is madness too.

However, it appears it was not that, but the game of tag that has been banned.

How many of you came home from school looking like you'd been pulled through four hedges backwards and sideways a few times? I know I did, nothing but a bit of tag on the grass during lunch break.

It's scary to think that if kids are playing tag and one child is accidentially injured that the other childs parents will sue the school, and/or the other kids parents (think it's just the school though, but you never know!)

David Lock 18 October 2006 05:56 PM

What do you expect from a Principal called "Gaylene Heppe"? :D

Oh and a parent called "Celeste D'Elia"...........

Markus 18 October 2006 06:05 PM

I've witnessed enough near collisions FFS. This is kids playing tag we're talking about here, not cars on a road or planes in the air.

I do pity the kids of these parents, they must be so wrapped up in cotton wool. I wonder if Celeste's child has a shrink and also has a peanut allergy.

If it was an act of bullying we were talking about here, then I could partially understand legal action against the school if they did nothing to prevent it, but that is not the case here.

David Lock 18 October 2006 06:18 PM

Markus, some schools over here have banned conker matches and snowball fights FFS.

Tam the bam 18 October 2006 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock
Markus, some schools over here have banned conker matches and snowball fights FFS.

Our kids school has banned snowball fights, last winter the kids were kept in school at breaks when it snowed incase they slipped and fell :cuckoo:

Varboy 18 October 2006 06:25 PM

no wonder so many kids are porkers if they're not allowed to run around and enjoy themselves.

My junior school banned British Bulldogs when I were a kid (this is over 20 years ago now):brickwall

We just played it anyway and did the time in detention

wrx-ian 18 October 2006 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Varboy
no wonder so many kids are porkers if they're not allowed to run around and enjoy themselves.

My junior school banned British Bulldogs when I were a kid (this is over 20 years ago now):brickwall

British Bulldog what a great game. Managed to break a collerbone playing that as a kid.
But surely in this day and age British Bulldog must be band.

They would have to play multi-cultural bulldog.

blubs 18 October 2006 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by wrx-ian
British Bulldog what a great game. Managed to break a collerbone playing that as a kid.
But surely in this day and age British Bulldog must be band.

They would have to play multi-cultural bulldog.

LOL...i played this. It was always dozens of 1st years (high school) doing the running, and about 10 really hard 5th formers trying to block you.

Really good laugh in a sort of 'immense terror' fashion.

We even had a P.E. teacher who would sometimes join in!

blubs

Bubba po 18 October 2006 08:57 PM

I went to quite a tough middle school (early 1970's), but even there games of British Bulldog were banned because of injuries, and clothing being reduced to tatters. :lol1:

_Meridian_ 18 October 2006 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by wrx-ian

Which rules did you use? The most dangerous version I saw was at my second school where it was "both shoulders on the ground" to tag someone. And we played on a gravel-covered tarmac quadrangle...

M

Wurzel 19 October 2006 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Varboy

Ditto :D

except we changed the name aswell so if asked why we were playing British Bulldog when it was banned, we replied we are not we are playing Chinese chuahwa, chewawa or how ever the **** you spell it :D

Also fir cone fights were banned in our school but it didn't stop us and neither did detention :D

Leslie 19 October 2006 11:44 AM

it won't be long before children have to remain sitting in their classrooms for free periods.

What a pit this country has descended into!

Les :(

Daft Lad 19 October 2006 11:47 AM

Does anyone else remember screaming "I'm in my base!" at the top of their voice when playing tig? It was like a disclaimer meaning that even if you got tigged (we called it tig at my school, not tag...dunno why :wonder: ) then as long as you were in your base you couldn't be 'on'.

Of course, you couldn't just have the whole playground as your base, that wouldn't be fair ;)

davegtt 19 October 2006 11:50 AM

We called it tig aswell. and yup I remember the base...lol most of the time it was the school garden wall, if you were stood on the wall you were safe (it was only a couple of feet high.)

Paul3446 19 October 2006 11:52 AM

My nephew's parents went to a school open evening to see whether to send him to this school next year, they didn't even have a playground, it had been turned into a teacher's car park!

I can't imagine school without a playground! :(

Daft Lad 19 October 2006 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt
We called it tig aswell. and yup I remember the base...lol most of the time it was the school garden wall, if you were stood on the wall you were safe (it was only a couple of feet high.)

Are you thinking of the variant of the game known as 'Tiggy off the ground'? :D

Fookin hell, it all comes flooding back :lol1:

davegtt 19 October 2006 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
Are you thinking of the variant of the game known as 'Tiggy off the ground'? :D

Fookin hell, it all comes flooding back :lol1:

lol no we went, it was something we ended up agreeing on because nobody knew where anyones base was so people screamed it whenever whoever was on was near by.... Crazy days but so much fun.

The stupid thing is, when you were that age you always wished that you couldnt wait to be 16/17/18 then when your 16 you cant wait to be early 20's. When we got there we all realised how lucky we were and want to be back at school.

SiPie 19 October 2006 12:53 PM

Yeah :D

Split my head open playing this too :thumb:

SJ_Skyline 19 October 2006 12:55 PM

Gotta get this before it's banned! :D

unclebuck 19 October 2006 01:12 PM

"British Bulldogs 1, 2, 3"

Cheeeaaaarrrggge.....!!! :lol1:

Jerome 19 October 2006 01:48 PM

I presume giving someone the "bumps" on their birthday is banned as well.

Society is breeding a generation of wimps and scaredy cats.

2000TLondon 19 October 2006 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Markus
At first I misread what he had said to me and thought he was talking about Tag body spray, which one Canadian school board was talking about banning, which is madness too.

I wish someone would ban Tag bodyspray, the American Lynx..... ;)

When I first went to private school at 14 they were still playing tag at that age, bunch of w @ nkers! :cuckoo: :lol1: :rolleyes: :Suspiciou :Suspiciou

Tidgy 19 October 2006 02:20 PM

tbh if it was my kid that got a detention for playing tag/ british bull dog, i'd refues to allow them to attend it.

the consiqunces will only hurt us in evolutionary terms, we are designed as a speicies to take nocks and bumps and bruises. remove that and we will evolve to become a bunch of wimps who die if we have the slightest fall.

or an i being dramatic here?

davegtt 19 October 2006 02:22 PM

nope, there will be a day that the average flu will kill off the human race because we're too used to taking drugs to clear up coughs etc... :D

lozgti 19 October 2006 02:22 PM

Surprised they didn't stop short of a ban.

Just turn it in to 'non competitive' tag where everyone has to walk and no one can be tagged and everyone gets a prize.

Pillocks

Markus 19 October 2006 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline

PC World and Currys aren't going to sell it. Plus Jack Thompson basically got told to shove it by a Judge as he he was trying to get it banned :D awww, poor Jack.

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
I wish someone would ban Tag bodyspray, the American Lynx..... ;)

When I first went to private school at 14 they were still playing tag at that age, bunch of w @ nkers! :cuckoo: :lol1: :rolleyes: :Suspiciou :Suspiciou

Thank you! I was trying to remember what the hell the UK name of Tag/Axe was.

New_scooby_04 19 October 2006 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock
What do you expect from a Principal called "Gaylene Heppe"? :D

Indeed! Apparently, TAG has only been banned to make way for the new school approved game of Pin The Tail on The Donkey, with a small twist.
it's to be played in the showers with the lights off!!! :Suspiciou :eek: ;) :lol1:

New_scooby_04 19 October 2006 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline

Bollards!!! It's only on PS2!!! :mad:

Ns04

Wurzel 19 October 2006 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome
I presume giving someone the "bumps" on their birthday is banned as well.

Society is breeding a generation of wimps and scaredy cats.

Ah the bumps ! I think Anthony go them at school and not only on his birthday :D

Man we where mean to him at school but he survived didn't he?

how is the dear boy these days anyway? Still married to that Czech bird??

Jerome 19 October 2006 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Ah the bumps ! I think Anthony go them at school and not only on his birthday :D

Man we where mean to him at school but he survived didn't he?

how is the dear boy these days anyway? Still married to that Czech bird??

He certainly got his fair share of the bumps. :D I think the teachers used to beat him up as well... ;)

He somehow managed to survive and is doing very well. He's got a daughter now as well.

Back on topic:

Anyone remember witches hats? They must have been lethal, but somehow my generation survived without all the risk averse do-gooders around.