ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   AA Car Loan (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/552155-aa-car-loan.html)

Del mar 18 October 2006 04:48 PM

AA Car Loan

What hard work that was !

All the guy on the phone wanted to do was sell me payment protection.

I understand that it is on his script, but twice I said "thank you but no thanks" - always being polite, he was still going on;

What if you were sick / redundant etc etc.

Where do they stand with regard to being "qualified" to give advice ? Selling loans is one thing but trying to give financial advice is another.

Eventually he gave up, but then....

We need you to sign the documents which we will courier to you £35 - £40, No thanks. But what if somebody steals you information or steals your identity, we can not be held responsible for that. I will run the risk with the Postal Service. Courier would be with you tomorrow, wheras post could take upto 2 weeks!!

He then goes all quiet and less helpful. I have never experienced anything like that, it was worse than the cold calling double glazing firms.

Can we speak to the householder ?

What are you trying to sell me ?

Nothing.

Ok then.

If all doors and windows were free how many would you want...........

None just F off and don't lie to me. (obviously I don't swear)

My wife just puts the phone down instantly, I try to be polite but just be honest !!

Thank you

SiPie 18 October 2006 05:01 PM

Had a few loans from them in my time and always been fine.....

However, car insurance with them is however a totally different story :eek:

DJ Dunk 18 October 2006 05:33 PM

If you do want protection for your loan then buy it elsewhere. What would have cost me approx £50 a month with Northern Rock cost £15 via a another company, plus the cover was better.

I once had a loan with the AA with protection, I explained at the time that I would be paying it off early, but once that time came I found out that they lumped the whole insurance amount onto the loan from the start. I complaied and received about £800 off :)

MattN 18 October 2006 07:03 PM

i've never seen the point of it.

I got a loan this year and they tried it on. Typical Q&A,

What if you were made redundant?

Well I'd use the redundancy to meet the loan payments until I sold the car and cleared the loan.

What if you were off work sick?

I have 6 months @ full pay.

What about after 6 months?

If I was that ill - I'd have sold the car, or called you to say I can only pay xx each month.

What if we didn't accept your offer?

Well you'd take me to court and I'd win. I'm so ill i've needed 6 months off work and offered to pay you a reduced amount until i can get back to work.

OK, what if you died?

I'm guessing here, as I've never died before, but I don't think paying my loan is near the top of my list of things to do today.

Now can I have the loan? - yes.

paul-s 18 October 2006 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MattN
I'm guessing here, as I've never died before,

:lol1: :lol1:

ScoobyJawa 18 October 2006 11:56 PM

Well I'd use the redundancy to meet the loan payments until I sold the car and cleared the loan.

If I was that ill - I'd have sold the car, or called you to say I can only pay xx each month.

Well you'd take me to court and I'd win. I'm so ill i've needed 6 months off work and offered to pay you a reduced amount until i can get back to work.

OK, what if you died?

I'm guessing here, as I've never died before, but I don't think paying my loan is near the top of my list of things to do today.

PMSL classic :D :thumb: :lol1:

Fuzz 19 October 2006 01:14 AM

Good one :thumb:

Andy

preza si 19 October 2006 08:41 AM

that was my answer, i'm dead, not my problem now!

Reffro 19 October 2006 09:31 AM

I used an AA loan once, never again....

Egg matched the rate, with no add on fees, or redemption penalties for early repayment.

VJ_STi 19 October 2006 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Del mar
it was worse than the cold calling double glazing firms.

Nothing.

Ok then.

None just F off and don't lie to me. (obviously I don't swear)

My wife just puts the phone down instantly, I try to be polite but just be honest !!

Thank you

I love the cold calling, I remain polite at all times and it usually goes something like this :

Nothing.

Ok then.

Oh hang on a second there is someone at the door (put phone down and walk away for 5>10 mins and get your mobile phone)

Come back (if they are still waiting) you then let them start again

Suddenly your mobile rings

Oh hang on a second thats my mobile (put phone down and walk away for 5>10 mins)

Come back (if they are still waiting) you then let them start again

If you have kids get them to make a lot of noise

Oh hang on I need to sort these kids out (put phone down and walk away for 5>10 mins)

If they are still hanging on then they are either :cuckoo: or desperate for a sale at which point you tell them your not interested. I did this recently with some bloke trying to give me (not sell) a mobile phone, probably calling from somewhere like India, hasn't called back for some reason :wonder:

DJ Dunk 19 October 2006 12:25 PM

OK, what if you died?

So you don't have a spouse that would be left paying your loan if you die then ?

EP82 19 October 2006 03:28 PM

I'm guess, if you die. Your car/Useless belongings will be punted on ebay or something which will then pay off the loan.

New_scooby_04 19 October 2006 04:00 PM

As the above posts indicate, as long as you keep the loan company informed of changes in your circumstances and "behave responsibly" you're fairly well covered by the consumer credit act. However, I did go for payment protection as my job is not as "assurred" as some folks on here and I wouldn't get extended sick pay etc... Also, I'd hate to think of someone else getting stuck with the payments were anything to happen to me! Ok, they caould sell the car, but its a lot of hassle at a time when they will, of course, be devastated at my loss! ;) :D

Ns04

Daryl 19 October 2006 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
So you don't have a spouse that would be left paying your loan if you die then ?

No, if the loan is in your name, the debt dies with you.

DJ Dunk 19 October 2006 05:37 PM

Cool, thanks :D