ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Bye bye, TVR (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/552107-bye-bye-tvr.html)

Nat 18 October 2006 12:29 PM

Bye bye, TVR

BBC NEWS | Business | TVR to move car production abroad

:(

If anyone wants to become the new largest independant sports car maker in the UK then all you have to do apparantly is build Two cars a week!

The Chief 18 October 2006 12:32 PM

b******s:mad:

Jeff Wiltshire 18 October 2006 12:33 PM

Very sad on a number of levels....

leonpoole 18 October 2006 12:39 PM

It was only a matter of time before that happened.

The Chief 18 October 2006 12:41 PM

That little s**t had this planned from day one.

call me paranoid but i genuinely believe this.:mad:

scoobyjimbo 18 October 2006 01:03 PM

I for one wont buy another TVR is they are not made in the UK. I was considering swapping my T350 for a sagaris but not now.. Why start dicussions with the local council regarding moving to another site when you had no intention of following through with this..

a sad sad day

J

stilover 18 October 2006 01:20 PM

It was always going to happen I'm afraid. British wage demands are too high compared to other countries. Profit is all that counts these days, and unfortunately the wage demands of the British work force mean companies, in all industries, look to manufacture outside of the UK.

Maybe if TVR can use the extra cash to improve build quality, reliability, develop an ABS system, Air bags, and traction control, then they will probably open up an entire new customer base.
The areas I mention above are the exact reasons why I don't own a TVR. I'd love a T350c but I'd want ABS, Traction control, an airbags, and a car that won't break down every other Tuesday.

Saying all that though, it is a real shame that production will no longer be in the UK. A very sad day indeed. :(

carl 18 October 2006 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by stilover
I'd love a T350c but I'd want ABS, Traction control, an airbags, and a car that won't break down every other Tuesday.

None of those things (apart from not breaking down) appeal to me. TVRs were relatively cheap, gorgeous-looking cars with stonking performance, made in Britain. To me they were always built with the spirit of the bouncing bomb -- knocked up in someone's shed but with performance to put one over on the Germans (Porsche). I'm afraid that's all gone :(

stilover 18 October 2006 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by carl
None of those things (apart from not breaking down) appeal to me. TVRs were relatively cheap, gorgeous-looking cars with stonking performance, made in Britain. To me they were always built with the spirit of the bouncing bomb -- knocked up in someone's shed but with performance to put one over on the Germans (Porsche). I'm afraid that's all gone :(

True, but I think that all the people who want that in a car have bought TVR's. How often will those customers renew there cars? Not soon enough for TVR to keep production running at a profitable rate.

If they were to develop safety systems (even only as options) and get the cars reliable and well built, then they could take sales away from Porsche. TVR make more money that they can then invest back into the company to develop and manufacture even better cars.

They could offer stripped out versions for the `hardcore` TVR buyer, yet still improve sales with cars fitted with safety features.

carl 18 October 2006 02:21 PM

The problem with your theory is that would make the price higher. A Sagaris is already nearly £60k, which is Porsche money. Even with safety systems, who'd have a plastic TVR instead of an Aston V8 Vantage?

In their most successful days (Griffith & Chimaera) the cars were fast, simple, cheap and looked fantastic. Ideal weekend cars. But they're not cheap any more.

stilover 18 October 2006 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by carl
The problem with your theory is that would make the price higher. A Sagaris is already nearly £60k, which is Porsche money. Even with safety systems, who'd have a plastic TVR instead of an Aston V8 Vantage?

In their most successful days (Griffith & Chimaera) the cars were fast, simple, cheap and looked fantastic. Ideal weekend cars. But they're not cheap any more.

Ah yes, but they are moving production from Britain to where ever, for the purpose of reducing costs. If a car cost £60k here, and a typical British worker receives say £350 per week, but when they move production, the weekly wage falls to £150 per week per worker, or £3.50 if they move to India ;) then they will have enough cash to develop their cars, while keeping showroom stickers relatively the same.

carl 18 October 2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by stilover
Ah yes, but they are moving production from Britain to where ever, for the purpose of reducing costs. If a car cost £60k here, and a typical British worker receives say £350 per week, but when they move production, the weekly wage falls to £150 per week per worker, or £3.50 if they move to India ;) then they will have enough cash to develop their cars, while keeping showroom stickers relatively the same.

We'll see. But I think this really will be the end of them.
BTW last I checked India wasn't in Europe. Probably go to Poland, or Russia (somewhere the EU will give them a grant).

MarkCSC 18 October 2006 03:44 PM

Such a shame :(

Chris L 18 October 2006 04:43 PM

Hi Mark - long time no speak :)

Yes it is a shame. A very sad day for the guys in the factory. Have a read of the thread on Pistonheads - currently running at 17 pages! (bearing in mind that Pistonheads started as a TVR site)

AudiLover 18 October 2006 06:15 PM

It was bound to happen. Germany and britain are arguably the most expensive places in teh world to make vehicles. The germans manage though because they are major players.

For a TVR owner this is good news.

F1 CJE UK 18 October 2006 08:06 PM

are they going to get a new name as how can they keep calling them TVR if they are not made in the UK

Nat 18 October 2006 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
are they going to get a new name as how can they keep calling them TVR if they are not made in the UK

Why? It's just a name :confused:

BigAl024 18 October 2006 08:18 PM

Its a shame that they've gone, and people will lose their jobs. Personally, i think they are crude, unreliable, not well built, and overpriced. I'd rather have something more, for my money to be honest.

Fabioso 18 October 2006 10:33 PM

I've always liked TVR's since I saw a Tuscan in the film Swordfish. Never owned one due to all the scare stories, its my kind of car ownership nightmare and a half.......its a shame I guess.........

We still have Lotus......although aren't they owned by the Japanese or something ?

Pumpkin 18 October 2006 10:55 PM

I doubt TVR will come back in any form, or if they do, buyers will vote with their feet.

They need to halve the price of the cars to become competitive, like they were with the Griffith and Chimp.

Chasing Porsche buyers whilst still smelling of resin was never going to work.

Lotus is owned by Proton.

TopBanana 18 October 2006 11:02 PM

About time this company was taken by the scruff of its dysfunctional neck and roughed up. A lower cost base is a great platform for any struggling business.

carl 18 October 2006 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pumpkin
Chasing Porsche buyers whilst still smelling of resin was never going to work.

I think this is a myth perpetuated by Top Gear. I've never been in a TVR smelling of resin. IME they all smell of a combination of leather and oil.

MarkCSC 19 October 2006 10:16 AM

Hi Carl

Have you still got your TVR?

carl 19 October 2006 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Champion
Hi Carl

Have you still got your TVR?

Yep. Can't really think of anything to replace it with.

GrahamG 19 October 2006 03:59 PM

Shame, This country needs a good sports car.

I wouldn't buy one due to reliabilty.