ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   tracing Biological parents (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/551215-tracing-biological-parents.html)

Notorious 14 October 2006 09:48 PM

tracing Biological parents

Hi,

I was adopted when I was around 6 weeks old, I have alwaysbeen made aware of this by my mum & dad, who have given me all the love and support I have ever needed. I am now 25 and curiosity is getting the better of me, I would like to try and trace my biological parents but have no idea where to start, I have trawlrd the net for sites but have yet to find a useful site.

I do not want to ask my mum and dad any information as i dont want to hurt them, although I am sure they would probably understand but I want to do this by myself.

I have no real info at all except I know the hospital I was born in and that I had a half sister who was 2 when I was born, i know this from a letter I found whilst snooping through my parents stiuff when I was younger lol It was a basic letter from the social work dept that I was supposed to be given when I was 16...( still waiting).

Most of the sites I have been on need at leat my mothers surname to help.

Is there anyone on here who could give me some pointers? all help is much appreciated. thanks

AudiLover 14 October 2006 09:53 PM

Good luck:thumb:

john banks 14 October 2006 09:56 PM

All I know is that the hospital have likely destroyed your records by now.

A patient recently saw me who hadn't been near a Dr for years, but there would have been some useful info in his hospital records that I wanted to find out. Medical records had destroyed it after 7 years I think after no activity on the records.

What about your birth certificate?

Lydia72 14 October 2006 09:58 PM

Have you tried the Salvation Army? they trace people, good luck :)

john banks 14 October 2006 09:58 PM

Adoptions - Introduction

Lydia72 14 October 2006 09:59 PM

The Salvation Army: Family Tracing

Notorious 14 October 2006 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by john banks
All I know is that the hospital have likely destroyed your records by now.

A patient recently saw me who hadn't been near a Dr for years, but there would have been some useful info in his hospital records that I wanted to find out. Medical records had destroyed it after 7 years I think after no activity on the records.

What about your birth certificate?

Thanks for the replies so far, I did not realise this was the case and probably makes my task even harder but heh thats life! I don;t know about my birth certificate as i seem to only have an adoption certificate which only has my adoptive parentss names on it. How would I go about getting my real Birth certificate?

boxst 14 October 2006 10:44 PM

Hello

Okay, I've done this. And haven't managed to trace my real mother yet unfortunately (I even asked on here, but haven't had much luck).

You need to ...

1/ Go here: Adoptions - Introduction to obtain your original birth certificate.

You WILL have to go and see someone to get "councilled" although they irritated me. This may depend on when you were adopted.

This will give you the Mother's name and address at time of the birth.

2/ Based on the above you can get access to your original adoption records and that may have further information.

And then you need to start the trace. If you are lucky, someone at the address will still be there. If not, you can call all the surnames and hope that someone has a relative with your Mother's maiden name.

Hire a private firm. I have some recommendations who help me (for free), but failed to find the person.

Steve

scunnered 15 October 2006 08:55 AM

Scotland is different from England in these matters. Firstly, apply to "NEW REGISTER HOUSE" in Edinburgh for a copy of your original birth certificate. When you have the details from the certificate, you can then apply to have your adoption records opened. These records may be held at a court, or more likely in Edinburgh. After that, there are many courses of action to take depending on the circumstances.