ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   skoda octavia VRS (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/550165-skoda-octavia-vrs.html)

wonfa 10 October 2006 08:07 PM

skoda octavia VRS

Im looking at getting a new motor and selling up on the scoob
here goes i have 6k to get something, i love my scoob but i need something with lower miles that dosent stand out as much.
its got to have 4 doors, goes well and still looks good but not too flash, it also needs to be lowish and reliable
i would love a newer shape scoob (bug eye) but for the money the only turbos are high milage ones, and if its not a turbo scoob then there no point to it IMO.
So im looking at the Skoda octavia VRS -1.8 20Vturbo (subtle, quick and great handling)
possible a x type jag, 2.5 or 3l sport (for the price too high milage again)
or a MG ZT 190+ (not sure of build quality and fun factor)

Any one with any opinions or owned them would be good, same as any other motors that fit the bill,
cheers
craig

Varboy 10 October 2006 08:12 PM

you will get the badge factor with the Jag but they ain't that quick and they are thirsty.

personally I would get the Skoda and Revo it.

MG nah

Longjing 10 October 2006 08:22 PM

Octavia looks good for value. I quite like them myself.

If chipping is a possibility though, you could just as well get 150 bhp 1.8t version - maybe a 4x4 to avoid traction concerns.

I seem to remember some SNetter had an octy 4x4 running fairly ridiculous power.

wonfa 10 October 2006 08:43 PM

i know you can chip them as some guys selling one already chipped saying his power is up from 180 to 220bhp,
4x4's not an issue as the scoob is the first 4x4 ive owned
most of the others have been rear wheel drives,
i like the idea of the RS as its still got turbo but give good mpg

Bravo2zero_sps 10 October 2006 09:17 PM

I've got a 2001 vRS. I got it after the scoob as at the time I could not fit my baby sons truck load of necessities every time we went out in the back of the scoob. I wanted something with a bit of power and masses of room.

However I have not bothered getting it chipped because its not great traction putting 180bhp through the front wheels if you put your foot down, especially in the wet so increasing it to 220bhp felt like a waste of time and front tyres. I've not driven anyone elses though so it maybe that I just have crap tyres on the front. Plus I don't drive the same as I did when I had the scoob as i'm driving my family about so no more booting it every where.

It averages about 30mpg with a mix of town driving and open country/A roads. Max i've had on a gentle run is 40mpg over 20 miles but that really was taking it very easy.

The best reason for getting one is space and reasonable power in one, the car has an enormous boot which is perfect for family needs.

Mechanically it has been sound in the two years i've had it now, just one coil pack failure which cost £12 to replace and is a common VAG fault.

Comfort wise its fairly good and I like the toys which I didn't have in the scoob.

The bottom line for value is that its miles better than a VW or an Audi because they cost a shed load more for the same mecahnical bits, just a different shell and badge!

I miss the scoob something chronic in terms of fun and smile factor but I don't miss the fuel, insurance or servicing costs that came with it. I'll be keeping the Octavia for some time to come as there isn't much else out there for the same money that matches it in my opinion.

J4CKO 10 October 2006 09:40 PM

Dont dicount the MG, drives well, well built and pretty cheap, they arent very good on fuel, mid twenties wheras the VRS will be nearer 30.

The MG is probably the best handler of your list.

wonfa 10 October 2006 09:56 PM

ive driven a lower power MG and felt it very sure footed, but never driven the RS.
I think im just gonna have to try them both to see what i think, the mpg isnt that much of an issue considering i use to own a supra with 735bhp and that mangaed 10-15 on a good day! so a scoob with 20mpg is great anything more is a bonus
i just dont want to end up with a car thats no fun to drive, ive had 15 cars in 10 years which gives you an idea on how if dosnt impress me then i get bored.
weve got some RS's at work so i'll just have have a go, same as the 3ltr x-type we have some of them too

wonfa 10 October 2006 09:59 PM

i definately need a good boot as we are expecting our first and i can just imagine how much stuff im gonna need to take around with me:freak3:

Bravo2zero_sps 10 October 2006 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by wonfa
i definately need a good boot as we are expecting our first and i can just imagine how much stuff im gonna need to take around with me:freak3:

Then its a no brainer, you will be in an Octavia within a month of your baby turning up as thats what happened to me, oh and congratulations :luxhello:

lozgti 11 October 2006 10:30 AM

Driven a vRS for 3 years now.Still not bored of it.Never let me down.

Great car and badge doubles as an alarm.

Check Briskoda.net.One chap is running 450 bhp

andythejock01wrx 11 October 2006 10:58 AM

Octavia vRS again.

One of my pals has one, reckons its pretty quick, gets 37 mpg (try that in a Scoob) and being VW Group, its well built (he's always telling me its better built than my Bug !).

Good choice for those on a tighter budget, or just want a newer car for the money.

Still, I'm v happy with my Scoob !

Steve vRS 11 October 2006 11:37 AM

Mine was fast (after a remap), economical, comfortable and the brakes were excellent (especially with DS2500 pads). It also looked good and was well equipped.

It was however heavy and fairly boring handling wise.

I'd have one of the new TDi 170 ones though!!

Steve

PaulC72 11 October 2006 12:42 PM

Having had 2 vRS's its the one I would pick againa nd was again a close contender before buying the Scooby.

As Lozgti says goto BRISKODA - Skoda owners community for fabia, octavia, superb, felicia, favorite, rapid owners worldwide. & check it out. Its been a while since I was on there but would assume it has not changed :)

Vapid 11 October 2006 01:37 PM

VRS easily the best on your list. An off the wall choice might be a 4x4 elegance remapped.

jonc 11 October 2006 02:36 PM

what about a E36 BMW 328i?

matchmaker 11 October 2006 02:54 PM

Get the vRS. Mine is 2 years old with 25000 miles on the clock and hasn't missed a beat. It was been remapped to 231bhp/251 lbf and averages over 30 mpg in normal use. Squeezed it up to 45 mpg once :thumb:

Plenty of toys, well made, and doesn't attract unwanted attention.

The police in many areas use then as motorway patrol cars, so that speaks volumes.

Traction...........can be fun in the wet, but once you're on the move it's fine:):)

RACK 11 October 2006 02:55 PM

My ex's dad had a vRS and I couldn't fault it.

Top motor, I'd be put of by an MG cos as soon as you buy one it looses about £2k.

wonfa 11 October 2006 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jonc
what about a E36 BMW 328i?

i prefer the 5 series sport over a 3 series but lowish mileage ones are out of my price range,
ive had a couple of beemers before and couldnt fault them
i definately want to take a vrs out, we have a couple as unmarked traffic cars so i'll ask to borrow one:D

mattbeef 11 October 2006 10:34 PM

Get the vRS, ive got the MK1 1.8T and my old man drives a Classic scooby and he loves it an if truth be known i think he'd like one himself.

Echo the comments about Briskoda though were a pretty reasonable bunch and most people would take you out in their remapped motors if you asked nicely

Quinten 12 October 2006 11:49 AM

Get the vRS, in fact, get mine ;)

Luan Pra bang 12 October 2006 01:06 PM

Add £1000 onto your price and buy a bugeye with 38k from me.

wonfa 13 October 2006 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Quinten
Get the vRS, in fact, get mine ;)

i like it alot especially in black but the milage is a bit hight though
craig

wonfa 13 October 2006 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Add £1000 onto your price and buy a bugeye with 38k from me.

pics and spec please:thumb:

Quinten 13 October 2006 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by wonfa
i like it alot especially in black but the milage is a bit hight though
craig

These engines are barely run in at 130K ;)

matchmaker 13 October 2006 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Quinten
These engines are barely run in at 130K ;)

Yeah, mine still feels pretty tight. Give it another 50000 miles :D:D:D:D