ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   300bhp on a 98 uk (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/547161-300bhp-on-a-98-uk.html)

shorty118 28 September 2006 03:44 PM

300bhp on a 98 uk

its says it all in the title really.i own a 98 uk turbo.it currently has 256bhp on the graph i have off the previous owner.the spec is hks exhaust with centre section de cat and hks induction.its a ppp model.
just wondering how i go about getting 300bhp.i understand i have to get a new ecu as mione cant be remaped as its a 98 (i wud pick the wrong year) erm and i expect itl need new fuel pump and injectors bgut wot else would be needed.would i need a differnt turbo if so which one is best i was reading up on vf34 roller bearing type and taht sounds good with its qucik spool.would i need a differnt intercooler i herd that if you get front mounted then you suffer from lots of lag.
which ecu would you recomend and how much would i be looking at paying to buy it and get it set up.
james

AC-scoobie 28 September 2006 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by shorty118
its says it all in the title really.i own a 98 uk turbo.it currently has 256bhp on the graph i have off the previous owner.the spec is hks exhaust with centre section de cat and hks induction.its a ppp model.
just wondering how i go about getting 300bhp.i understand i have to get a new ecu as mione cant be remaped as its a 98 (i wud pick the wrong year) erm and i expect itl need new fuel pump and injectors bgut wot else would be needed.would i need a differnt turbo if so which one is best i was reading up on vf34 roller bearing type and taht sounds good with its qucik spool.would i need a differnt intercooler i herd that if you get front mounted then you suffer from lots of lag.
which ecu would you recomend and how much would i be looking at paying to buy it and get it set up.
james

You could get away with 300bhp on the TD04.
Apexi PFC best option for ecu £750ish mapped.

swtmerce 28 September 2006 04:29 PM

If you need a Power FC and Commander let me know. I'm about to sort one (or two) out from the US.

Scott.T 28 September 2006 04:36 PM

A VF24, uprated pump, fuel regulator and remap (or ECU) would get you to 300BHP-320BHP.

Thats about as far as you can go on the 380cc and standard top mount.

The price charged to remap your ECU isn't far off an apexi PFC and map, so that would be the better route if your considering further mods.

steve rally 28 September 2006 04:50 PM

James,

YH PM

scoobyDAZZA 28 September 2006 05:42 PM

then it will be 320
then 340
then 360
then 380

see where i'm going here :D
slippery slope ;)

agree with above, apexi power fc . td05/16g or vf34 would be ideal,walboro fuel pump, 3-port boost solenoid,green panel filter, and 440cc injectors
standard tmic is always a risk , a fmic can be had for as little as 250 quid, look on e-bay.

StudentScooby 28 September 2006 10:20 PM

My TD04 was maxed out at 276/281, what is the highest anyone hear has got from a TD04?

scoobyDAZZA 29 September 2006 12:23 AM

320+ if it's one of andy F's

Proteus 29 September 2006 12:27 AM

James,

I got a Sigma ECU fitted by steve simpson. I was going to get an Apexi, but after i spoke to him about ecus and stuff, i opted not to. The apexi still needs the MAF sensor, and the sigma can do without it somehow ! and as mine was faulty, this saved me having to change it. I also didn't need to get a seperate boost controller - which i had been told i would need with an apexi ecu.

So when i compared the spec of the ecus, and what they would cost to get fitted and setup - the sigma won hands down. Cost me 995quid, fitted and setup on his rollers - with graph prints, and then a run up the road to check i was happy with it - and boy was i happy with it !!!

haroldhettaturbo 29 September 2006 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyDAZZA
320+ if it's one of andy F's

were does this guy work hear his name mentioned lots.

When i was at the clinic with my99 he said with a decat and a fuel pump i would be looking at 310bhp coz somone has fitted a vf23 turbo to my classic:luxhello:

rossyboy 29 September 2006 10:34 AM

Some damn good reading here...

https://www.scoobynet.com/tuning-my9...p-t373504.html

Mocom Racing 29 September 2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Proteus
I also didn't need to get a seperate boost controller - which i had been told i would need with an apexi ecu.

Not sure why you would have been told this, the Apexi can use the standard boost control system.

Originally Posted by Proteus
the sigma won hands down. Cost me 995quid

Apexi PFC fitted and mapped would be £850.00, leaves you more than enough change to buy a new MAF sensor ;)

RLE 29 September 2006 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
My TD04 was maxed out at 276/281, what is the highest anyone hear has got from a TD04?

I achieved 296bhp on a UK97..............

Changed to TD05FE turbo (250.00) and AndyF supplied and mapped the Apexi pcf. Had supporting mods (fuel pump; decat exhaust; fpr; hks evc 5 boost controller) and achieved 320/ 300 torque. This was on standard 380 injectors and TMIC.

Clutch soon struggled so this had to be replaced.

steve rally 29 September 2006 09:35 PM

If you have a requirement to map the boost curve against RPM, say 1.4Bar mid range down to 1.2 bar top end and have the ability to compensate for "in gear" boost variation, then you will need a good quality boost controller with the APExi.The software does not support these features.The SIGMA ECU has a 3D Duty cycle - RPM - Throttle map and "in gear" duty cycle offsets to allow full boost control.In addition the ability to eliminate the MAF allows for better fuel and ign map resolution at full boost - a MAF has a non linear curve and so resolution is reduced at high boost.It is not an issue of reliabilty; it is about performance and hence power.Harvey can confirm the power gains we have achieved on his WRX with the better spark resolution.Also the SIGMA has Ign retard -v- Charge temp compensation which allows for closer mapping to det particularly with TMIC set ups.

Finally the ability to have individual cylinder trims for ign timing and fuelling,switchable boost, ign and fuel maps we believe justify the price premium for this product.....

Oh, and its mapped on the dyno and the road!

Steve

Proteus 29 September 2006 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Not sure why you would have been told this, the Apexi can use the standard boost control system.

That's odd. I was told that it wouldn't control the boost correctly - hence why most people run an AVC-R with the PFC. I'll check up on this.

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Apexi PFC fitted and mapped would be £850.00, leaves you more than enough change to buy a new MAF sensor ;)

Would it have left me with enough to be able to run two different maps though ? I can select between the two maps using the throttle pedal so that if I have run out of NF, I can drop back onto a 95RON map. And would it have left me with enough change to have different boost for each gear, hence saving my poor old gearbox ?

Stuart Newby 03 October 2006 09:04 PM

Sigma?

Sigma????????????????????

Fitted at Teg Sport - never heard of it???

Maybe you know so much about it cos you make them Proteus, never bull**** a bull****ter and please don't use the name Teg Sport in any of your hard sell threads, unless you are prepared to pay royalties to use our name.

Stuart Newby
Teg Sport

Jolly Green Monster 04 October 2006 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart Newby
Sigma????????????????????

Fitted at Teg Sport - never heard of it???

Maybe you know so much about it cos you make them Proteus, never bull**** a bull****ter and please don't use the name Teg Sport in any of your hard sell threads, unless you are prepared to pay royalties to use our name.

Stuart Newby
Teg Sport

:eek:

Stuart Newby 04 October 2006 11:22 PM

Private message

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
oh deary dear me! please explain Steve/Proteus..

Simon ;)

Simon,

YHPM

Teg Sport