ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What Spark Plugs ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/545556-what-spark-plugs.html)

james-wrx 21 September 2006 08:23 PM

What Spark Plugs !

Guys,

Modded scooby with 300 + hp ( classic ) she is coughing and spluttering a little bit " off boost "ojn boost it's perfect, I have a feeling plugs have been in the car since the dawn of time !!!
What plugs are best ?
Any other tip's for changing them as I havent attempted it yet !
Where the hell are they anyway I have not had good look under the bonnet yet, do the coil packs sit on top or something !

James

ross2 21 September 2006 08:52 PM

ngk pfr7b's (platinums)

james-wrx 21 September 2006 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ross2
ngk pfr7b's (platinums)

cheers mate :thumb:

ian10 21 September 2006 09:00 PM

as above,
change them from top remove airbox on one side and water bottle on the other.Coil packs will sit on plugs unless your car is a 97 on ,in which case they don't have coil packs

scoobyman2000 21 September 2006 10:49 PM

oooooo not sure about NGK platinums... I've had 2 sets now that havent lasted me more than 6 months.... Gone for HKS this time round... can remember the exact number.. but there a heat setting 7, just waiting 4 mr post man to deliver!! Will let you know how they go!!:luxhello:

MR400 22 September 2006 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyman2000
Gone for HKS this time round... can remember the exact number.. but there a heat setting 7

Or try the Denso IK22's ;)

scoobyman2000 22 September 2006 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MR400
Or try the Denso IK22's ;)

Cheers, will remember that next time round!! forked out for the HKS now so i'll see how they go. should get them early next week:norty: I've got a slight flat spot/splutter so im hoping thiese will cure it.

james-wrx 23 September 2006 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ross2
ngk pfr7b's (platinums)

I coul only get the 6b's but but never mind, what would be the best gap it's only mildly tuned !
James

bluerigster 23 September 2006 05:17 PM

HKS iridium plugs check and adjust the plug gap to 0.5mm before fitting. Storm motorsports sell them for roughly 55 pound. Had them fitted for the last 10 months excellent plug.:thumb:

sce8arl 23 September 2006 05:18 PM

0.7mm

bluerigster 23 September 2006 05:25 PM

Just had to alter my plugs all to 0.5mm as any bigger the car slightly stuttered when initially coming on to full boost. Found the spark was escaping. Anyway this is what i've set my plugs to and now working fine.:thumb:

james-wrx 23 September 2006 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bluerigster
Just had to alter my plugs all to 0.5mm as any bigger the car slightly stuttered when initially coming on to full boost. Found the spark was escaping. Anyway this is what i've set my plugs to and now working fine.:thumb:

Guys thanks for all your help, i have put them in with a compromise on the gap of 0.6 and it runs perfect !!:luxhello:
Thanks for all your help
James

Mocom Racing 25 September 2006 09:12 AM

James if you're running 300bhp on a classic then you really need to be running a colder plug, PFR7B's or the Densos as mentioned before.

Denso IK22 available here.......

Regarding gaps, you want to run the largest gap you can, start with .7 and close up slightly if your having issues - don't just stick them in at .5mm as previously stated.