ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How many antibiotics can a dog take ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/544802-how-many-antibiotics-can-a-dog-take.html)

J4CKO 18 September 2006 09:30 PM

How many antibiotics can a dog take ?

Well, since the start of the year, three !

Is that unusual, basically her ears went all manky so that got treated with Antibiotics, then a month or so ago a huuuuge lump under her chin was shrunken with Antibiotics and yesterday I remarked on the smell of corrupting flesh emanating from the dogs bed to my wife and she took some convincing that this wasn't the normal background 'DO' (Dog Odour) so I gave her a check over and there was loads of yellow ooze coming from her mouth which I wiped with saline water, the dog wasnt impressed and managed to bite my finger whilst gagging, eeh Ive made a few dogs gag in me time I tell ya. The smell is getting us down, no matter what we do she stinks the kitchen out, its embarassing, nice house spoilt by the smell of rotting dog.

So another apointment was made and another 40 quid extracted via Switch from my poor old current account, just going to set up a f*cking direct debit to the vets and industrial drum of antibiotics, the vet said it may be an underlying problem like a tumour but in the meantime before I get the 25 quid for offing it and another few quid for dropping it of at the local Kebab house I will extract a few hundred quid by flogging you Tic Tacs.

So sat here wondering what to do, what would you do ?

miss*scoobygav555* 18 September 2006 09:42 PM

What kind of dog is it and how old?..:) Poor little thing ..

Lee247 18 September 2006 09:50 PM

I'd be changing vets, for a start off. Poor thing needs a proper diagnosis not just antibio's all the time :mad:

TopBanana 18 September 2006 10:27 PM

Have you tried different sorts of antiobiotic?

Apparition 18 September 2006 10:31 PM

Mine's on them almost every month. He's a Tibetan Terrier and they are prone to ear and eye ailments. He's costing me a fair packet and it isn't the vets fault. We have been with 3 different vets over his 12 years because of house moves and they all agree that it's an ongoing problem. The ear prob is MRSA and cannot be got rid of. All we can do is control it by changing the ear drops from time to time when the MRSA gets used to one lot. Meantime, I have to keep them as clean as poss. Latex gloves et al.
I'm apalled at the cost of the medication tho'. A tiny tube of his eye ointment is £39.00 a go. His heart murmer tablets are £34.00 per month and his ear drops are a packet too. Since I'm earning only £65 a week due to a back problem its tough going. No point in insuring him, he's too old and has had these pre-existing probs for some time now.
Hope yours is going to be ok.
Yve

J4CKO 18 September 2006 10:53 PM

13 year old blind deaf Cocker Spaniel.

As for being ok, I think the time has passed for ok, just not infected will do.

Not blaming the vet, he knows what he is doing and does have a good root around, I am just bothered by the smell and the mounting expense, she is never going to be the dog she was.

Yve, how do you manage on that, must be difficult, I earn quite good money nowadays and still have none left.

Lee247 18 September 2006 10:58 PM

aaahhhh, bless her, she is old :( :(
My pals Cocker had these problems :(

J4CKO 18 September 2006 11:01 PM

Out of interest, how long did it live ?

Lee247 18 September 2006 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Do I have to :( :(
YHPM

David Lock 18 September 2006 11:36 PM

25 year old Cocker in record books........ :D

ali66 18 September 2006 11:57 PM

I'd pay anything for my animals welfare...just paid £219 for blood tests,5 needle biopsy, x-rays(2), ultrasonic scan, castration,(due to it being a prostrate problem,and antibiotics,would pay whatever it takes for my animals...and i have a few, 2 long haired german shep's, 2 cats, one tortoise and a parrot ..but that comes with being responsible for them, same as children.

Apparition 19 September 2006 09:02 AM

ali66 , was there a hidden holier than thou message there?
My dog means a lot to me too but I and my husband have to live also. At the moment I have to eke out all the medication except the heart tablets and make it all last as long as possible without affecting the dog's health.
It aint easy. Gone are the days when money was no object.
Yve

David Lock 19 September 2006 09:20 AM

Hi Yve, you might think about asking the vet for a monthly repeat prescription valid for 6 months. You can then take this to any chemist and get the 'script made up every month and he returns prescription to you. You might find this cheaper than paying the vet every month for the medications. We use some eye drops quite a lot and they are a fortune. David

J4CKO 19 September 2006 01:04 PM

Sorry Ali but a dog is nowhere near the responsibility of having a child.

Iwan 19 September 2006 01:21 PM

How many antibiotics can a dog take ?
I thought this was a competition.

I managed to feed my neighbours dog about 750 penicillin tablets before he started foaming at the mouth and his heart exploded.

Did I win? :lol1: :luxhello:

Apparition 19 September 2006 01:25 PM

Thanks David, I'll ask about that, funny that the vets haven't offered this solution. ! I have a prepayment prescription for myself and save over £200 per year on costs. Never reealised there was such a thing for animals.
Yve

Spoon 19 September 2006 01:28 PM

Sorry Ali but a dog is nowhere near the responsibility of having a child.

No, more in some cases, depending on certain health issues a dog might have. Other than that they should be equal or don't own a dog.

Jacko, after feeding your dog antibiotics you might want to think about feeding it probiotics too.

Insurance from the word go is the only way. Worth every penny for peace of mind.

Oh and the heart murmur tablets and all the other rubbish vets sell you for old dogs are a joke. Old dogs are allowed murmurs and often appear worse upsetting the dogs old system.

David Lock 19 September 2006 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition
Thanks David, I'll ask about that, funny that the vets haven't offered this solution. ! I have a prepayment prescription for myself and save over £200 per year on costs. Never reealised there was such a thing for animals.
Yve

Yve, don't misunderstand me - there is no subsidy involved. It's just that chemists' prices may be better than the vets which is possibly why it hasn't been mentioned as an option. d

Gymbal 19 September 2006 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan

I managed to feed my neighbours dog about 750 penicillin tablets before he started foaming at the mouth and his heart exploded.

Did you check if the dog had a penicillin allergy? Are you a wholesale drug dealer?

If it had been a snake you could have reached 1000....

sorry to hijack.

The Snug Rhino 19 September 2006 04:47 PM

Is the dog happy?

Is the helath of the dog causing it to be unhappy?

Can that health be improved or is it just age?

If the above is no, yes, age - then have it put down.

Lee247 19 September 2006 05:54 PM

Have you decided what you are going to do J4CKO

J4CKO 19 September 2006 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan

LOL !

J4CKO 19 September 2006 05:58 PM

What are we going to do, give the Antibiotics and see what happens !

And then perhaps some Yakult.

Lee247 19 September 2006 06:03 PM

What are we going to do, give the Antibiotics and see what happens !

Good, tho' I think she would prefer Activia, it tastes better :D

J4CKO 19 September 2006 06:06 PM

Dont want her poncing through the park on roller skates, nah nah na na.

POC 19 September 2006 06:06 PM

AFPMSL class :D :D :D :D :D

J4CKO 21 September 2006 11:53 PM

Well the dog seems to have improved, still stinks but its the background standard D.O. not the enhanced biohazzard decomposition smell. Reminds me of when we took the kids round the Viking museum Jorvik, the youngest aged four when confronted by the authentic toilet smell said, 'Smells like Molly'

The only reason I remember is she has just blown off lavishly, its like having a black, furry, methane filled barrage balloon deflating silently but hazourdously next to you, its somewhere between a fart and an airborne turd, neither gas nor solid, it clings to clothes like an anal napalm. When the petrol runs out I am going to strap a brace of Cocker Spaniels to my car each with a tube in their rectum that goes straight into the throttle bodies.

She is lying next to her bed, why would you lie on lino when you have a bed ?, she keeps sniffing a conker one of the kids has dropped on the floor, at least I hope its one of the conkers, whatever it is, it maybe gone by morning, maybe that explains the farts, perhaps she has dined on a kilo of conkers tonight ?

I have a good view of the big warty think on her back, looks like a little toadstool, normally its covered only to be revealed by anyone foolhardy enough to stroke her, one of my favourite sports watching visitors discover that on what looks like a sleek back, they dont know whether its attached, parasitic or about to burst and look a bit queasy. When you first happen upon it, its kind of like that feeling when you stroke a cat and it moves its head the wrong way and your finger goes in its ear, an all consuming urge to wash your finger.

So, she lives to sleep another day, I could get her stuffed and I swear no one would notice, I would have to rig up a complex Ferris Bueller type contraption to do the snoring noises and move a paw occasionally but its do-able.