ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Thumbs up to my 100k 1999 Focus (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/543688-thumbs-up-to-my-100k-1999-focus.html)

pnbond007 13 September 2006 06:54 PM

Thumbs up to my 100k 1999 Focus

I have a 1999 1.8 Zetec 3dr Focus, it has covered 105.350 miles & has not missed a beat, just awesome.....

It has passed every MOT & very often returns a healthy 37mpg.

My journey consist's of 125 'very rarely held up' motorway miles 5-days per week 30k per year approx, it is my daily work horse.

Problems suffered:
1 x throttle position sensor
2 x rear wheel bearings

It still has the original clutch
one change of brake pads 'front only'
One exhaust system change

I intend keeping the car & making my way towards 200k....

Brilliant is all I can say

AudiLover 13 September 2006 06:56 PM

for a ford it is indeed brilliant

DCI Gene Hunt 13 September 2006 06:57 PM

I prefer the word 'dull'............... :D

David Lock 13 September 2006 07:08 PM

A way to go before it catches up with my '89 405 1.9i petrol on 200k then........

DCI Gene Hunt 13 September 2006 07:10 PM

2 more potential scumball2007 entries then......... :thumb:

Baby Scuff 13 September 2006 07:15 PM

1994 Bmw 325tds 253k+ and still returning 42mpg +, had lots of problems though :(
was going to put it in the 2006 scumball, maybe next year though :)

pnbond007 13 September 2006 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
2 more potential scumball2007 entries then......... :thumb:

Nobber.....

black ctr 13 September 2006 09:12 PM

:brickwall no doubt you paid big money for it but it s still a focus and worth f u c k all

pnbond007 13 September 2006 09:41 PM

blackctr & DCI Gene Hunt

FFS WHY can't you take on board positive feedback on other vehicles, instead of boring everyone with your Lexus lighted heap....

& Yes I do have a Scoob

Dream Weaver 14 September 2006 09:26 AM

I've just sold our 2000 Focus 1.8 and starting to regret it now. Great car, superb handling (for people that can actually drive), ultra reliable.

Shame the BMW replacement has been off the road more than on it :(

Dream Weaver 14 September 2006 09:28 AM

As for black ctr, he's no doubt got a spiky boy band haircut and drives a CTR cos its "cool", would prefer the Focus over a CTR breadvan any time ;)

Vapid 14 September 2006 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by black ctr
:brickwall no doubt you paid big money for it but it s still a focus and worth f u c k all

Focii hold their value pretty well. If they'd ever done a really high spec high power model in the past I'd have bought one. The new ST isn't for me though as I'd want 4WD/RWD with that sort of power.

pnbond007 14 September 2006 12:50 PM

Big mistake by Ford not producing a road going focus 4 x 4, it would have been awesome....

The Chief 14 September 2006 01:05 PM

To all the people who are slagging off The Focus i'd say drive one, ok they may be a little dull but they're a hoot to drive. I had the same opinion until i drove one, ok it was a bit gutless (it was a 1.6) but for a family hatchback i was amazed at how it handled and how composed it was over any given road.

I'll never slag em off again:)

SiPie 14 September 2006 01:49 PM

Totally agree with the poster...

Sold the scoob when I got married :rolleyes: and traded 'down' to the focus (1.8 zetec)

Loved it to bits, cheap as chips to run and never let me down.

Can't say I miss it exactly, but it did me proud for 2 years....oh and it was around 1,000 times better in the snow than teh scoob.

Suresh 14 September 2006 11:23 PM

My missus has a 1.6focus and it's a great drive. :thumb:

TheBigMan!! 15 September 2006 12:41 AM

My missus has a 1.6" focii and it's a great ride. :D :D

dazc2 16 September 2006 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigMan!!
My missus has a 1.6" focii and it's a great ride. :D :D

Your Mrs or the car? :D

v5 man 17 September 2006 12:21 AM

I have a Focus 1.8 diesel, 02 plate, 97000 miles on the clock at present.
I love this car to bits. I know its only a Focus, I know its only a poxy diesel, but its fun to drive, holds its own on the motorway, never breaks down, its economical, has a great sounding standard stereo, and all in all its perfect for the 25000 miles per year I need it for.
I drive an Evo 6, previously i`ve had 4 Impreza`s, but I still love having the Focus as my everyday work/shopping/airport run car.

Sadly my time with the Focus is coming to an end. Arval PHH, the company we lease cars off, have changed their suppliers. This means i`ll almost certainly be in a Vauxhall Astra next :(

pnbond007 21 September 2006 01:25 PM

Dear me,
Only a few days after complementing the durability of my Focus at the start of this thread, I suffered brake failure whilst driving along the M6 on Tuesday morning, scary stuff.....

just about managed to move from the fast lane from around 75mph with slowing traffic ahead, across to the hard shoulder, jeeezzz not sure how I did it.

For some un-known reason it shot all the brake pad material from the near side brake caliper, just left the metal plates.

Bizare to say the least.

It's under investigation right now.....

WHEELSHOP0_0 21 September 2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by pnbond007
Dear me,
Only a few days after complementing the durability of my Focus at the start of this thread, I suffered brake failure whilst driving along the M6 on Tuesday morning, scary stuff.....

just about managed to move from the fast lane from around 75mph with slowing traffic ahead, across to the hard shoulder, jeeezzz not sure how I did it.

For some un-known reason it shot all the brake pad material from the near side brake caliper, just left the metal plates.

Bizare to say the least.

It's under investigation right now.....

There may be a perfectly reasonable reason for this eg manufacturing fault, lack of servicing allowing the pads to fall too low etc. but there are also "fake" brake pads out there. This is fake in the way fake cigs/designer gear etc. these are brought in for pennies by the same sort of smugglers however these just look like proper brake pads and have no safety testing at all. So if you are offered pads at a price that seems too good to be true BEWARE!. Glad your O.K. I am probably wrong about your case but you say front pad change in your post, did a garage you trust do it?

Blueblaster 21 September 2006 04:27 PM

Have had many Focus hire cars. All superb. Fun to drive with a super chassis. Buy with confidence.

pnbond007 21 September 2006 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
I am probably wrong about your case but you say front pad change in your post, did a garage you trust do it?

The car has covered 62k since the last brake pad change, and it has only recently had a major service by a garage I trust.

The pads on the off side were only half way down.

Apparently something had gone wrong with the caliper mount on the hub that carries the wheel, the bottom caliper securing bolt, 'those covered by a plastic gromet' had come loose & vanished allowing the caliper to move around, hence loosing the pad material off both sides of the disc.

All sorted now, so back to good motoring

WHEELSHOP0_0 22 September 2006 09:30 AM

Thats good, just a thought 62k on a set of pads? Mine usually last around 20k must be the type of roads/driving/driver. glad its sorted.:)

pnbond007 22 September 2006 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
Thats good, just a thought 62k on a set of pads? Mine usually last around 20k must be the type of roads/driving/driver. glad its sorted.:)

125 miles per day including travelling between junc 3 M6 to junc 14 M1

good mileage for any motor....