ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Edonkey closed down ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/543678-edonkey-closed-down.html)

*Sonic* 13 September 2006 06:16 PM

Edonkey closed down ?

Has Edonkey closed down

get a message saying it has but no reports on web sites, google shows it was reported to have been closed down but that was feb this year ?

:confused:

Markus 13 September 2006 06:58 PM

I saw this yesterday.

*Sonic* 13 September 2006 07:16 PM

thanks Markus

Strangely enough I have left the client running with that error/warning message, but downloads and uploads are still going on

Hanley 13 September 2006 08:12 PM

Can't believe people are still downloading things this way

:)

*Sonic* 13 September 2006 08:43 PM

what is the 'new' way for us old timers lol

other than newsgroups

judgejules 13 September 2006 09:41 PM

Read the last line in the editorial ;)

Jules

Markus 13 September 2006 10:08 PM

Sonic,
probably eMule or BT.

Hanley 13 September 2006 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
newsgroups

cough

:D

*Sonic* 13 September 2006 10:52 PM

lol ive been using newsgroups for the last ten years :)

got emule now, been using a few torrent sites too, the downside to newsgroups is you cant search as such, the plus side no contention :)

GaryK 14 September 2006 09:39 AM

emule has been working fine for ever and a day.

davegtt 14 September 2006 10:09 AM

Yup, emule for me, finds me everything I want apart from one bloody album Ive been trying to get for the last year and only got 49% of it at the minute :mad:

If anyone can help its Chuck Mangione - Live and the Hollywood Bowl

thanks ;)

Hanley 14 September 2006 10:10 AM

the downside to newsgroups is you cant search as such

Have you tried NewZbin or Cyberfiber to search and see what's available on Newsgroups, also most Leecher programs have a search facility, I use Newsleecher and I'm fairly sure that does.

*Sonic* 14 September 2006 11:29 AM

Cheers

What I meant by not being able to search newsgroups is that you can only get what has been posted, and retention time isnt the best on most newsgroups

Emule Edonkey etc etc let you search for stuff that is there, and usually tends to stay there for quite a while, not brilliant but it does for the stuff that isnt posted on newsgroups, or you just have to wait lol

Bravo2zero_sps 14 September 2006 12:48 PM

Gave up on edonkey years ago because it never downloaded more than about 10kb/sec even with all the correct ports forwarded etc, had to leave the pc on for days to get anything. BT has been amazing, connect before you go to bed leave it and come down to breakfast to find your several gb of downloads completed.

Hanley 14 September 2006 01:41 PM

I find 70 days of Binary retention more than adequate, go to bed and when I get up I've downloaded over 32GB of 'material'

:D :D

*Sonic* 14 September 2006 03:14 PM

70 days :eek: thats good retention, where do you get your news feeds from, and how much does that cost ?

Even using the torrent sites, I still have to leave my pc on for days on end to get stuff I want

Newsgroups has always been quicker, just takes a while trawling through stuff sometimes, especially when I am just 'browsing'

Bravo2zero_sps 14 September 2006 03:56 PM

Sonic what sites have you been using, sounds like either your ports aren't forwarded for the bt client or the trackers are dead/no seeds? My BT client maxes out my adsl line when downloading.

davegtt 14 September 2006 03:58 PM

What are you guys downloading? only time I have to leave the PC on over night is if Im downloading a film, usually its just music though and can get a whole album in about half an hour.

*Sonic* 14 September 2006 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by **************
Sonic what sites have you been using, sounds like either your ports aren't forwarded for the bt client or the trackers are dead/no seeds? My BT client maxes out my adsl line when downloading.

the trackers are usually stating active seeds etc, dont know about this port forwarding lol

my dsl connection only maxes out on the uploads, and makes browsing a right pain, slower than dial up

I tend to use mininova or btjunkie

recently was using the BT plugin on Edonkey, and now just trying Emule

edited to add, one film took 6 weeks to download :eek2:

davegtt 14 September 2006 04:06 PM

edited to add, one film took 6 weeks to download :eek2:

:eek: I got evolution underworld, jarhead and Munich at the same time overnight :eek:

Hanley 14 September 2006 04:33 PM

Sonic

I use Giganews.

Retention is 70 days for Binary files and I pay $24 per month.

I get a constant 1.1mbps using Newsleecher, as far as searching goes I tend to just browse NewZbin and see what's around and then open the relevant NZB file in newsleecher, saves messing around subscribing to all different groups.

*Sonic* 14 September 2006 04:40 PM

I used to use Giganews, till they started capping the downloads per month, unless you paid a lot of money

I only subscribe to a few groups now, but they do tend to have a lot of new headers every day

Hanley 14 September 2006 04:46 PM

I use the unlimited service which is $24.99 a month which is about £13.

That's pretty good value for money I'd say

Bravo2zero_sps 14 September 2006 05:23 PM

Sonic if you are using an adsl router you will need to forward the appropriate ports on the routers firewall/port forwarding section. This directs the BT traffic straight to your client instead of it coming into your router and not knowing where to go. All is explained here http://www.portforward.com/

Your BT client will use certain ports which when forwarded will accept the traffic and utilise your adsl's bandwidth. Without port fowarding the majority of people will find that the BT downloads are hideously slow and not worth using.

I wont post links to good BT sites here for obvious reasons but try looking here for info.

I have never failed to find what I am looking for on BT and as long as there are plenty of seeds I always get it within a few hours depending on size :)

*Sonic* 14 September 2006 07:32 PM

I am using a DSL router, thanks for the link and help B2Z

Ive done that now, and the current torrent I have has now jumped from 1 days, to 49 days to download :eek2:

not sure after i made those changes do i need to restart the torrent clients / router or pc?

Bravo2zero_sps 14 September 2006 07:43 PM

No problem. You shouldn't need to restart anything but might be worth closing and reopening the torrent.

PM me if you want any help on the client/sites.

NWMark 15 September 2006 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hanley
Sonic

I use Giganews.

Retention is 70 days for Binary files and I pay $24 per month.

I get a constant 1.1mbps using Newsleecher, as far as searching goes I tend to just browse NewZbin and see what's around and then open the relevant NZB file in newsleecher, saves messing around subscribing to all different groups.

Another one as an alternative.

I use Astraweb, which costs $15 a month for unlimited downloads and uncapped download speed (i get 1.1 -> 1.2 Mb/sec constantly on my NTL 10Mb connection) and a contention of 30 days.

There is another unlimited offer, £10 but its a capped download speed of 1Mb/sec (thats megabit not byte) but still unlimited downloads.

Mark

Hanley 15 September 2006 01:47 PM

Sounds interesting, I'll check that out

:) :)

*Sonic* 15 September 2006 05:36 PM

Many thanks for everyones help, all sorted now and good speeds too :)

Bravo2zero_sps 15 September 2006 06:39 PM

Did you change clients or get the original working in the end?