ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   alternative to british gas. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/542448-alternative-to-british-gas.html)

bob r 08 September 2006 01:10 PM

alternative to british gas.

following on from stilovers thread................

i have a 3 bed semi with the only gas appliance is a boiler(not a combi). everything else is electric.

i have always paid about 40.00 pm gas bill, which i thought was a bit excessive however i have just recieved a notice explaining that they (british gas) want me to pay 72.00 pm.:hjtwofing

after a phone call i was told that this increase is due to increasing fuel costs and an estimation as winter looms.

i am bewildered as i have not had the radiators on for over 5 months and the water is heated 2 hrs a day.

i think its time to change gas providers:idea:
how do other gas providers compare price wise, ie- powergen.

jaytc2003 08 September 2006 01:13 PM

turn off all gas appliances and check your meter
maybe a case of changing neighbours!

Scooby Snacks 23 08 September 2006 01:20 PM

try that new u-switch website, as you can do price comparisons on line (and before you ask, I haven't tried it myself, just loads of people at work talk about it!)

scoobylav 08 September 2006 01:27 PM

Yup used u switch just recently.

Worked out cheaper for me to switch to N Power. Saved £20 per month.

Nick100 08 September 2006 01:27 PM

www.uswitch.com has been around for quite a while - at least a year or two, so is not new.
I think it is promoted by the government, so should have a good reputation.

I also have not used it to change, but have used it to compare prices on all sorts of home supplies.

AudiLover 08 September 2006 02:01 PM

dont change providers untill a bit later cause the guys that seem cheap now will only raise their prices come winter time.

scoobylav 08 September 2006 02:37 PM

you can switch as often as you like though only takes about 4 weeks to complete the switch.

bob r 08 September 2006 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nick100
www.uswitch.com has been around for quite a while - at least a year or two, so is not new.
I think it is promoted by the government, so should have a good reputation.

I also have not used it to change, but have used it to compare prices on all sorts of home supplies.

its just returned a saving of 260.00 per year, thanks v much:thumb:

sti-04!! 09 September 2006 12:03 AM

I got a scottish power bill in for my electricity, the fookers wanted to charge me .................. £84 a month for a fookin 2yr old 2 bed flat.
My missus went on the phone to complian & the **** on the other end of the phone tried to take the pee out of her .... his downfall was that the phone was on speaker phone & i heard everything, i took the phone from her & said a few choice words next thing i know i had his manager on the phone apoligising (sp??) & telling me they made a mistake & it should be £39 a month.

Chancing b astards. I fully expect to pay around £70 a month once my new house is built.

My advise is to bite with the b astards & you will get somewhere.

:)

Spoon 09 September 2006 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bob r
i have always paid about 40.00 pm gas bill, which i thought was a bit excessive however i have just recieved a notice explaining that they (british gas) want me to pay 72.00 pm.:hjtwofing

Until fairly recently I too was paying approximately £40/month for gas and less for electricity.

I've recently had a new boiler and a meter change, and today I'm paying £86/month for gas and £47/month for electricity with the cheapest provider.

We all know prices have risen but it's getting daft! I'm also convinced my new 'super efficient' boiler is just a greedy fúcker really, and isn't as good as the boiler it replaced. :freak3:

Same as the new meter, it turns faster I'm sure it must!! :lol1:

Terminator X 09 September 2006 12:26 PM

Gas & electricity is getting close to outrageous now. We pay almost £100 a month for a 4 bed detached ... £1200 a year just to keep warm, wash with hot water, be able to eat hot food & see at night FFS! An yes, we've switched a few times already ...

TX.

Dracoro 09 September 2006 06:26 PM

Is anyone still with BG? They are the most expensive of the gas suppliers. Go with ANYONE else :D

uswitch site best bet. You need to put in YOUR requirements and find the cheapest provider. Don't go on 'our' recommendations as it may not suit your usage, area etc. Only you know your requirements and that's what the aforementioned site is for. Regardless, go anywhere BUT british gas. :)

Miss Kinky 09 September 2006 08:08 PM

we pay £39 p/m for gas AND electric from Atlantic. we have a 2 bed flat... only the heating is gas, which hasn't been on for a while now...

Bakerman 11 September 2006 12:16 PM

I am just going back to British Gas having been with Powergen for the last 2 years. My combined monthly spend is £130 so I do use a lot. It is wrong to assume one company is always more expensive than the others.

J4CKO 11 September 2006 12:39 PM

We changed and it does seem cheaper, key thing with any plan is to get them regular meter readings as I dont know what does the estimates but it never gets it right so you end up with a huge arrears, thats what sounds like has happened with you, forty quid a month for ages letting you creep into debit and now they want to recover the negative balance and cover your payments against the rises.

We pay 81 quid a month for both, was nearer 100 under BG, just need to watch the bills over the winter to make sure the DD is set at the right level.

The other one for us was the water rates 700 odd quid, went to a water meter and its 38 quid a month, saving of 300 quid a year.

Miss Kinky 11 September 2006 12:46 PM

much to my amazement a water meter is cheaper than rates!! again we save i guess about £300 per year!