ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Driving Courses?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/5411-driving-courses.html)

PhilH 30 October 2000 12:54 AM

Now that the SIDC course has expired can anyone recommend other courses/training outfits? (I was booked on the first course that didn't happen)

I'm keen to brush up on a few basics and get a better feel for the limits of the car well away from a public road. I don't want to waste a set of tyres, so would welcome use of a third party training vehicle.

Any details of personal experience very welcome.

SDB 30 October 2000 01:42 PM

Hi Phil

If you want to use someone elses vehicle I would recomend Drive-It-All

Superb venue and instruction from genuine top level rally drivers.

dave@driveitall.co.uk

Cheers

Simon

alistair 30 October 2000 02:48 PM

SIDC course was 1 day theory and 1/2 day skid pan (in old sierras).

the Institute of Advanced Motorists is a reasonable substitute for the theory and has good on road practical as well. However, this is NOT about being anywhere near the limit - quite the reverse.

For limit driving, do as Simon says or if it's just tyre waer you're bothered about do Wetter the Better at MIRA in your own car, which is much more beneficial. Do a search, or just ask Simon !

Neil Reay 30 October 2000 08:03 PM

Hi Phil,

I was wondering the same as we were due to have completed the first part of our course by now.

If you make contact with Drive-it-All or any other driving school let me know and I will join you.

Perhaps consider Wetter the Better later next year!

Regards,

Neil.

SDB 30 October 2000 11:10 PM

we could always arrange a mass outing to Drive-it-all??

i could ask if they'd let me bring the rally car along for the day as well?

Who would be up or it?

Cheers

Simon

Blow Dog 30 October 2000 11:24 PM

Thats affirmitive

PhilH 31 October 2000 08:55 AM

Hi Simon: I've seen the Drive-It-All web-site and it looks good - and being based near Oxford they're only an hour(ish) for me. Also like your suggestion for a 'group session' - is there a min/max number to make feasible? From their web-site it appears that a full days tuition is £275.

Hi Neil: I'll keep you in touch with any info but suggest you take a look at

Stuart Knight 31 October 2000 09:09 AM

I'm up for it. I had a £300 voucher to do some rallying at Brands a few weeks back, and you only got 2 hours at the venue, 40 mins in the car! This looks much better. From previous discussions the mintex challenge is the one to go for. I only live just down the road as well!

Fosters 31 October 2000 09:10 AM

I certainly want to do something like this, so please keep me posted

fosters

chuckster 31 October 2000 09:26 AM

I went last spring, a certain S-D-Sideways was there too. Excellent day! If date suits either Nicki or I may attend. Nicki did the Silverstone one last year, seemed much worse VFM than the DriveitAll, though you did get to drive fancy cossies rather than the little toyota's at DIA.
Cheers
Chuck

SDB 31 October 2000 10:29 AM

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

The day Chuckster mentioned had about 8 or 10 of us I think and we just joined part of a day with another group.

If we do it, I would probably see if they would let me bring the rally car down so I could get some testing in at the same time.

In the mean time chaps...

grab some info by emailing <mailto:dave@driveitall.co.uk>dave@driveitall.co.u k</a> and mention that you would be part of the scoobynet group so when I talk to him he'll know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Simon

chuckster 31 October 2000 10:35 AM

What about the 'Left foot braking' course as offered by one of your sponsers Simon? Anyone done it? Any good?
C

SDB 31 October 2000 11:02 AM

Good point Chuckster!

The LFB course is supposed to be very good too.

Haven't been on it myself, anyone else been on it?

Cheers

Simon