ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   spark plug change ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/540999-spark-plug-change.html)

doy68 02 September 2006 01:38 PM

spark plug change ?

Is there a special socket or tool to remove the plug ?

harvey 02 September 2006 02:47 PM

Yes. A spark plug socket is what it is called funnily enough. It has a rubber insert and prevents the plug being snapped by some clumsy, careless person with two left hands.
Available from Halfords and many tool shops.
Take a plug with you as there are several plug sizes.

howellsy42 02 September 2006 02:53 PM

my advice is once you buy you spark plug socket remove the rubber inside it else ul never get it off the spark plug once you have screwed it into the block

doy68 02 September 2006 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by harvey
Yes. A spark plug socket is what it is called funnily enough. It has a rubber insert and prevents the plug being snapped by some clumsy, careless person with two left hands.
Available from Halfords and many tool shops.
Take a plug with you as there are several plug sizes.

GC8 02 September 2006 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by doy68

Having posted such a f*cking stupid question, what do you expect? Considering the lameness of your initial question Id suggest that you find a competant mechanic to change the plugs because its extremely tight and difficult as a result.

AndiThompson 02 September 2006 07:20 PM

There's one in the toolkit that fits the wheel brace ;)

harvey 02 September 2006 08:32 PM

Doy 68. Don't call me a ****. Reflect on it. You may want to remove it. There was no smiley so obviously seriously intended.

I did not consider your post as lame or stupid as GC8 has. As I saw it you needed help. We all have to start somewhere and trying to help you was my intention.
"clumsy, careless person with two left hands" was not directed at you but if you are prickly on that, then maybe you are ham fisted. I don't know but I would rather help than hinder and I want to encourage someone who has not changed plugs before, not put them down which was not my intention. You have totally over reacted.

Please sort it.

There is more to changing the plugs than just taking out the old and screwing in the new. Plug type/grade. Gap to check, so you need feeler guages. What torque to tighten to? If you have not done it before, best get a mate who is familiar with this to help or take GC8s advice and get someone else to do it for you.

NGK PFR 6B for a standard Imprza or STi. Under £30 a set.
NGK PFR 7B for a modified car. £30-£40 max inc. vat.
Book labour from memory is .8 hours.

pslewis 02 September 2006 10:20 PM

Harvey is right ... he was offering what he thought sound advice - no-one (except maybe GC8) thought your question stupid if coming from a beginner.

Calling harvey a **** was a complete over-reaction and I think he deserves an apology.

Pete

Proteus 03 September 2006 03:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well said all

That's just the sort of response that spoils the community spirit of boards like this.

Someone takes there time to post an answer to your question - and you treat them like something you've trodden in.

For my pennys worth - a full appology to Harvey - or don't bother coming back on this board !

harvey 04 September 2006 05:54 PM

Thanks for your support guys. I guess doy68 has gone to ground.

Vegescoob 04 September 2006 07:49 PM

Even with experience on other engines the Scooby plug change does present food for thought.
A search of the toolkit for a suitable combination of implements and then "from above" or "below"? In my case both but I always was adventurous.
There are several threads in technical which give the detail and how folk do this.

T5NYW 04 September 2006 08:03 PM

Just be careful, ensure the Plugs have "Started" in the thread OK ;) or your next Post is "Can you Helicoil the Head whilst in situe ?"

Advice is what you ask for ;)

Tony