ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Drivers to be allowed to.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/540651-drivers-to-be-allowed-to.html)

Tam the bam 31 August 2006 10:35 PM

Drivers to be allowed to..

..drive on the hard shoulder to ease congestion in peak times (according to bbc news tonight) good idea or bad?

I liked how the reporter said there would be new lay bys built for drivers who "wanted to pull off" beats sitting in a jam I suppose :lol1:

EVOLUTION 31 August 2006 10:38 PM

lol at the pulling off

the layby thing works in germany, i dont think it will over here tho, nothing ever does lol

SwissTony 31 August 2006 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
..drive on the hard shoulder to ease congestion in peak times (according to bbc news tonight) good idea or bad?

I liked how the reporter said there would be new lay bys built for drivers who "wanted to pull off" beats sitting in a jam I suppose :lol1:

we are all a nation of rubber neckers, so imagine the tailbacks of cars stopping to watch the drivers in the laybys "pulling off" :D

EVOLUTION 31 August 2006 10:44 PM

get a woman, then you can have it done on the move pmsl

jonesy172 31 August 2006 11:08 PM

The problem is that the majority of drivers havnt got a clue about how to drive on a motorway!!! No formal training when taking a driving test, just left to your own style!!! i do roughly 600 miles a week on motorways and it drives me mad about the lack of peoples lane discipline. I was driving up an empty M61 the other night when a car comes on the motorway and instantly goes to the 3rd lane!!! there wasnt another car on the motorway other than me!!!

SwissTony 31 August 2006 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
get a woman, then you can have it done on the move pmsl

i am trying :thumb: , but no response in the small ads so far

"lovely lady to pull me off whilst I drive..will travel " :D

EVOLUTION 31 August 2006 11:24 PM

you need to be in the consett area, so long as your not fussy that is lol

a tugz a tug pmsl, so long as its not by the law whilst getting a ..........

watto52 01 September 2006 01:31 AM

The only thing that worries me about using the hard shoulder. If there is a car broken down on the side, some thick tosser will smack it up the arse.:( :D

NotoriousREV 01 September 2006 08:18 AM

Great, another lane that won't get used while we all queue in the "fast lane" ;)

scoob_babe 01 September 2006 08:44 AM

Surely we should allow undertaking instead?
Will I then be counted as a 'middle lane driver' if I refuse to use the hard shoulder as I consider this to be dangerous? They say that everyone would be limited to 50mph if the HS is in use but that's still a considerable speed to hit a broken down car!!!
I stick to lane 1 if I can and it usually moves a damn sight faster due to the other prats who don't understand the keep left unless over taking!!

Rioja 01 September 2006 11:32 AM

Sounds like the best idea the muppets who run the roads have had in years!
The section of M42 they are taking about is from the M40 going east it is conjested 24-7 and the lane speed indicators are always on, meaning the speed cameras on almost every gantry are also active! As almost everyone in any lane is travelling about the same speed, undertaking happens constantly. Regarding broken down vehicles, there are additional lay-bys every 500m. If I have to go around Birmingham I always take the scenic route to the West and the M5.

Kev

WRXewl 01 September 2006 11:42 AM

Its a bad idea really as where would someone breaking down go, its not like they could get the car to climb the banking at the side if the car is broken :lol1:

Stupid Insurance 04 September 2006 09:40 PM

If you break down at any time, you are advised to use the 'lay bys' or emergency refuge areas are they are really know. They are now starting to build these on other sections of motorway to try and reduce the number of incidents relating to vehicles being hit whilst on the hard shoulder.

If a car breaks down on the hard shoulder, the hard shoudler obviously won't be opened and if its already open, it would be closed. The gantries are every 500m so you wouldn't be able to travel very far without seeing a sign. Very few vehicles break down and stop instantly, so as you move over to the hard shoulder, the vehicles behind you would have to stop anyway. The HS would only be opened at busy times, so there's no chance of an idiot plowing into the back of you - there won't be room.

There are also cameras on the hard shoulder to monitor those who use it when its not a running lane. They could then be prosecuted if the police saw fit.

CooperS 04 September 2006 09:50 PM

They should have some kind of screen to put up in the central reservation to stop rubberneckers on the opposite carriageway, winds me right up!!

Apparition 04 September 2006 10:34 PM

April 1st again already ?
Yve