ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Aircon (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/538981-aircon.html)

Typer Jim 25 August 2006 11:38 AM

Aircon

Hi all,

Switch on my aircon a few mins ago and a very disheartening noise came from under the bonnett. Sounded like someone was hitting something with a hammer. When i switch the aircon off it goes away. Have a feeling that the aircon pump is goosed.....

Anyone know how much this may set me back and where i can get one from???

Cheers
Jim.

LEE-WRX 25 August 2006 11:41 AM

look on ebay mate, most people actually want to get rid of the aircon, weight/power losses etc...there is always a couple on ebay, dealers and some breakers will sting you hard for an aircon pump

Lee

Shark Man 25 August 2006 11:46 AM

Had any work done on it recently or done a DIY regas?

Its possible not enough oil was replaced to compensate...if that's the case..too late now anyway ;)

Compressors do knock, with quite a dull rhythmic thudding, which can be quite loud on older compressors when outside the car, if its like that its nothing really much to worry about. So how loud it knocks is the main thing, not the fact it just knocks - as many will do that.

If you can hear inside the car as well, then I would say its excessive and needs attention.

Typer Jim 25 August 2006 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Had any work done on it recently or done a DIY regas?

Its possible not enough oil was replaced to compensate.

Compressor do knock, with quite a dull rhythmic thudding, which can be quite loud on older compressors when outside the car, if its like that its nothing really much to worry about. So how loud it knocks is the main thing, not the fact it just knocks - as many will do that.

If you can hear inside the car as well, then I would say its excessive and needs attention.

Havnt had any work done to the car and dont DIY as i am scared of breaking something!!!! Noise is excessivly loud in the car with the windows up!!!!

Thanks for responding.....

Shark Man 25 August 2006 11:57 AM

OK, Quite probably a dying compressor. Leave it off, before it seizes completely and breaks the belt. Until you get it looked at.

I've never looked to see if its possible on the Impreza's a/c compressors but many compressors are rebuildable if you can get the parts. Obviously this can make a difference in price between outright new, recon/exchange, or 2nd hand.

Typer Jim 25 August 2006 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
OK, Quite probably a dying compressor. Leave it off, before it seizes completely and breaks the belt. Until you get it looked at.

I've never looked to see if its possible on the Impreza's a/c compressors but many compressors are rebuildable if you can get the parts. Obviously this can make a difference in price between outright new, recon/exchange, or 2nd hand.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Does anyone know of a part number for these or are they generic through the clzassic Impreza's???

Thanks again
Jim.