ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Need help. PC very slow (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/537342-need-help-pc-very-slow.html)

sti-04!! 18 August 2006 09:38 PM

Need help. PC very slow

My main pc has just had the motherboard changed under warranty but i think its a bit slow tbh.
I want to speed things up a bit so whats the best way to do this ??
I dont want to spend mega bucks as it will be going into my oldest boys study in the not too distant future.
So give me some pointers people :D

Ram ?

Criss 18 August 2006 09:40 PM

Overclocking, but invalidates warrenty.
Try checking on overclockers.co.uk and go into there forums for great advice!
Just remember to quote the whole spec of your PC:thumb:

sti-04!! 18 August 2006 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Criss
Overclocking, but invalidates warrenty.
Try checking on overclockers.co.uk and go into there forums for great advice!
Just remember to quote the whole spec of your PC:thumb:

:confused: :idea:

Fook, minefield it is then :D

Dracoro 18 August 2006 09:47 PM

Overclocking is the last thing you do. :) Do all the other checks first, spyware, startup crap, registry crap, AV, windows config, hardware conflicts and so on. RAM is always a good thing. Once the PC is running properly, then start looking at overclocking or new/faster chip etc. Given that you say it's under warranty, I guess it's not too old so the chip should be well fast enough for most things.

Criss 18 August 2006 09:48 PM

ITs no minefield as long as you make small adjustments and keep your eyes on the temperature and don't change the voltage as if its a mid range PC (I mean not an alienware or very high price £1800) they don't like voltage changes!

sti-04!! 18 August 2006 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Overclocking is the last thing you do. :) Do all the other checks first, spyware, startup crap, registry crap, AV, windows config, hardware conflicts and so on. RAM is always a good thing. Once the PC is running properly, then start looking at overclocking or new/faster chip etc. Given that you say it's under warranty, I guess it's not too old so the chip should be well fast enough for most things.

Its 2yr old so in PC terms its ancient ... i took the extracover blah blah

I have done all of the above but still no difference :confused:

Scooby Dooby Blue 18 August 2006 10:39 PM

Uninstall redundant applications
Disk Cleanup
Defragment

If you're willing to spend a bit of money, you shouldn't fall out with another stick of memory (board permitting), worth waiting a couple of weeks though as i'd guess it's DDR333/400 in your machine and this is due to fall in price early September.

I wouldn't suggest overclocking unless it's something you know a little bit about and are comfortable experimenting at the risk of breaking something.
I certainly couldn't be arsed monitoring temps/voltages....i like a machine to 'just work' :)

Scooby Dooby Blue 18 August 2006 10:41 PM

Oh, and if all else fails, a clean Windows installation always breathes life into a system ;)

Criss 19 August 2006 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Dooby Blue
Oh, and if all else fails, a clean Windows installation always breathes life into a system ;)

and then you relise you had a program you can never find again you wanted :lol:

I do that too :thumb: Its amazing how quick your PC is without anything installed bar windows :D