ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Import or UK Car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/536897-import-or-uk-car.html)

Gadge22 17 August 2006 10:27 AM

Import or UK Car?

Hi folks, im going to view a Bugeye model STI tonight, but was wondering how I can tell if its definately a UK Car and not a Jap Import.

Are there any things that I can look at on the car that will tell me straight away which one it is?

Also are there any buyers guides anywhere or a list of things I should check out for when looking at purchasing this car?

Cheers for any help

Gary

Beastie 17 August 2006 10:31 AM

At a Glance

Rear Wiper - Jap
Type UK Badging - UK
European Import - No Type UK Badge and no rear wiper

EmEm 17 August 2006 10:46 AM

Good luck with viewing!:luxhello:
With regards to checking if its an import or uk, with my Pajero (import Shogun) it has loads of japanese stickers on it, especially on the inside of the door.
Could be wrong, but worth a look!:wonder:

Gadge22 17 August 2006 10:47 AM

Cheers for that, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does the type UK badge look like and where abouts is it on the car?

Cheers

bob r 17 August 2006 10:52 AM

as above, also
generally the jap imports have dark rear glass. look for jap writing on sunvisor.

d5hof 17 August 2006 11:07 AM

the type uk badge can be found on the right hand side boot panel. not always but a lot of the imports have rear windows tinted.

silent running 17 August 2006 11:08 AM

Don't know whether the bugeyes still had the passenger emergency flare under the dash on the kick panel? My 98 WRX has one. Obviously loads of Japanese stickers and labels instead of English. Rear wiper. Maybe electric folding mirrors although again this might have just been on earlier classics. Climate control instead of aircon?

Gadge22 17 August 2006 12:15 PM

Are there any other differences between the European and the UK models?

terzo204 17 August 2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gadge22
Are there any other differences between the European and the UK models?

Wait for it........

Flood gates now opened:lol1:

badgersport 17 August 2006 02:44 PM

According to some on here (and Subaru UK) the Japanese save all the best bits for the UK cars and build those destined for the EU with the rubbish that's left over. The UK cars are faster, more reliable, better equipped, quieter, more fuel efficient and better rust proofed.

Then again some of us accept that they are all built on the same production lines and there's nothing much to choose between them.

Jacey Boy 17 August 2006 02:48 PM

Or the badge could be taken off like mine is:wonder: :lol1:

wrxseeker 17 August 2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by badgersport
According to some on here (and Subaru UK) the Japanese save all the best bits for the UK cars and build those destined for the EU with the rubbish that's left over. The UK cars are faster, more reliable, better equipped, quieter, more fuel efficient and better rust proofed.

Then again some of us accept that they are all built on the same production lines and there's nothing much to choose between them.

PMSL :thumb:

Jap Import 17 August 2006 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by badgersport

:lol1:

I wonder why Subaru UK tell us this, ummmmmmmmm probably to stop us buying an import!

Better rust proof? No the british cars are just undersealed for protection.
Most JDM classics will look a damn site newer than UK classics many years newer.

Dunno about more fuel efficient, depends on what mods you got. Granted the higher octane fuel is mor expensive.

The UK cars certainly are'nt faster as standard, nor are they better equiped.

better go now, just pi55ed myself laughing

Gadge22 17 August 2006 09:35 PM

Well just back from viewing the car, was quite nice altho im pretty sure it wasnt a type UK car and that it was a EU Import. There was no Type UK badge on the rear or on the intercooler. Wasnt Jap cos it didnt have a rear wiper or Jap written stickers anywhere. The car supposedly came from Northern Ireland originally, but its registered on a UK 51 plate, so dont fully understand it, anyone any idea why?

I think the main thing sticking with me is that it seems to good to be true, its a 51 reg with 36k miles, but the seller is only after £9k?

Am I being daft, or should I really stay away?

Are EU Imports really second rate to UK cars?

Jdub 17 August 2006 09:54 PM

As long as its all kosha why worry? even if it was a UK car it wouldn't have a warrenty left, you are getting a mighty fine deal if its in good nick.

Zip Boing Arial Whoop 17 August 2006 11:13 PM

Buy a nice WRX SL with PPP only 18months old. With Eibachs for better handling and BDA Grooved disks with Ferrodo DS2500 (fitted less than 1500 miles ago) pads for improved brakes.

Get one with 19000miles (just had 20k service) and a full history UK spec car, leather, heated seats, sunroof, 265BHP, 18months full UK warranttee.

Crystal Grey so looks good. As quick as a Sti (I would argue) and totally mint.

Look to pay about £13.5k.

Where would you find such a can - PM me!!

Oh and just to prove it ain't been killed still on original tyres but I will throw in a set of virtually brand new Bridgestone RE070's I have juts bought.

New business forces sale!

Jacey Boy 18 August 2006 08:42 AM

Nothing wrong with european cars:confused:

Gadge22 18 August 2006 11:53 AM

If I have the Reg plate and VIN number should a subaru dealership be able to tell me the origins of the car?

The Trooper 1815 18 August 2006 12:18 PM

HPI may be the best money you ever spend, not sure about the Dealer thing though.

or https://www.scoobynet.com/am-going-wagon-t536979.html :thumb:

Wurzel 18 August 2006 12:35 PM

I have an EU spec MY00 Classic and it is no different from the UK cars except it gets run on better quality petrol and roads with no speed limits :D

It has done nearly 90k km and not so much as a nut or bolt has fallen off it.

The only difference between a UK sourced car and a mainland sourced car (as we are all in the EU) is, a UK bound car has a cat 1 alarm as the UK is full of scumbags and insurance salesmen. As for underseal mine is also undersealed ! oh yeah and the speedo is only in KMs and not M/KM