ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tips on buying an item (guitar) from overseas from a private seller? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/536692-tips-on-buying-an-item-guitar-from-overseas-from-a-private-seller.html)

RichS 16 August 2006 01:38 PM

Tips on buying an item (guitar) from overseas from a private seller?

Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of discussing the purchase of a guitar from a private seller in Long Island.

The seller and I have exchanged a few e-mails and so far it all seems kosher.
Trouble is I've never bought anything in a private transaction like this before and I want to be as comfortable as possible before proceeding.

Like most things in life, this has an element of risk - I don't know the guy and he doesn't know me, but that shouldn't mean that we can't do a deal.

I was thinking of having him take a photo of the guitar and a copy of todays NY Times to send me as proof that he actually has the thing, but perhaps that's a little "kid-held-to-ransom" movie?

I guess common sense has a big part to play, but do any of you have any experience in similar deals?
If so, any advise on how to raise the security / comfort level - do's and don't etc?

(I already intend to use a reputable courier with suitable insurance cover and will pay UK duty and VAT in full, so no need to advise on that.)

Many thanks,

Rich :)

Old Farquar 16 August 2006 01:56 PM

I think you'd probably be best using an Escrow service, where a third party holds the cash until both parties are happy with the deal. Pretty sure Paypal offer this service, I'd say it would be worth paying the charges to make sure all goes OK with the purchase.
Getting him to send a pic with the NY times is a good idea, if he's a genuine seller I don't think it would be a problem.

David Lock 16 August 2006 02:57 PM

Is this a collectors item or particularly valuable guitar? Seems a bit extreme getting one from USA unless it is. Must cost a few bucks to courier over here. A short video clip of him playing the thing might be slightly cooler than the piccie with NY Times?

RichS 16 August 2006 03:19 PM

Thanks chaps :)

David - yes it's a fairly hard to come by Ibanez JEM (Steve Vai model) - the limited edition one produced for the Millenium. Not to everyone's taste, but I love it.
Nice suggestion re: video :)

OF - thanks will check out what the Paypal escrow options are (seller has already suggested Paypal actually).

Rich :)

RichS 17 August 2006 01:35 PM

Okay Paypal don't offer an escrow service and having searched on the subject, it seems the common wisdom is to use www.escrow.com or not at all.

Any other opinions on how to improve my protection on this transaction?

Pumpkin 17 August 2006 10:37 PM

check out shipping costs. Guitar isn't heavy but is quite large so will possibly ship on volumetric weight.