ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Starter Button question on newage STI (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/536690-starter-button-question-on-newage-sti.html)

the trooper 16 August 2006 01:37 PM

Starter Button question on newage STI

has anyone fitted one of these? if yes how hard was it to fit and where abouts did you place the button?

simo 16 August 2006 03:40 PM

why do you want one? You will still have to put the key in so you might as well turn the bloody thing as well :D

the trooper 16 August 2006 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by simo
why do you want one? You will still have to put the key in so you might as well turn the bloody thing as well :D

now that is a typical answer on this forum :sleep:

simo 16 August 2006 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by the trooper
now that is a typical answer on this forum :sleep:

& a typical question that now arises on s/net :mad:

the trooper 16 August 2006 07:36 PM

& a typical question that now arises on s/net :mad:

yep thats right, at the end of the day why add or change anything on our cars and why bother to have a forum

simo 16 August 2006 07:40 PM

not knocking modding but a starter button :eek: Why not a flamer kit or stickers first :D

the trooper 16 August 2006 07:41 PM

not knocking modding but a starter button :eek: Why not a flamer kit or stickers first :D

dont want to copy you :D

simo 16 August 2006 08:01 PM

lol :thumb:, I'm not from Essex mate, the mods on my car are there to make it better not more bling

the trooper 16 August 2006 08:14 PM

lol :thumb:, I'm not from Essex mate, the mods on my car are there to make it better not more bling

no probs mate, truth is i always liked the button on the honda S2000 and in a moment of madness just wondered if anyone had fitted one, wish i had'nt asked now :(

still i guess i could get a dump valve instead ;)

simo 16 August 2006 08:32 PM

lol :D Ppppppssssssssssssstttttttttttttttttttttt - Nice :thumb:

Creepy 17 August 2006 06:35 AM

Trooper,

I did it on my classic (use a starter button, but still have to "arm" with the key.
You have to look for a wire that's going live when turning the key in the last stand (actually starting), into the contact itself. (Mine was yellow/bleu)
This wire had to be cut and wired up into a relay (otherwise you starter button will just melt, believe me..)
From this relay you feed a starter button with the ground wire from the relay, after some extra fuses, both on live and ground.
From the starter button (just a two pin push button) you connectthe wire to the handbrake light.
This is a cool trick, because in that way, you only can start with the handbrake on AND it prevents you from using the starter when driving (handbrake off), otherwise you will kill your flywheel/starter motor in a few seconds...

Don't know the colors of wire in your STI, but when you know some basic car electricity, it is possible to do it yourself...