ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Anyone on here use 'Reason' ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/536453-anyone-on-here-use-reason.html)

wez_sti 15 August 2006 03:38 PM

Anyone on here use 'Reason' ???

Making another song using Reason 1.1,

does anyone have any tips for making a decent bassline for a house track?

Trouble is i dont have a keyboard and using the 'Matrix' machine is quite fiddly!

TIA

Criss 15 August 2006 05:07 PM

BAh, I use a keyboard! Tried with the matrix but its useless!
Just get a midi connecter from a PC or music shop and a cheapish keyboard!

Failing that, try getting a standalone bassline maker/editer

I preffer to use fruityloops as ive used it since version 3.

ScoobyDoo555 15 August 2006 07:22 PM

Use Reason 3.0 as part of my studio setup. Tend to use the insturments as plugins in Logic Pro.

Basslines are easy. It just depends on what type of music you do. Remember to program the pattern off the kick drum (in terms of timing) rather than the snare.

I can't say it's easier with a keyboard (well, I can as I have played for over 25 years!! :D), but it is more fun - kinda the essence behind creating music :rolleyes:

Gimme a PM if you need anymore help :)

Dan

bob269 15 August 2006 10:23 PM

House basslines are pretty straight forward just chuck in a key change half way :D

I use an evo midi full size keyboard (keys only no fancy crap) was pretty cheap and makes life much easier for laying down your basics.

Check out www.reasonstation.net for plently of help/songs/instruments/refills etc.

:thumb:

Oh and if you can upgrade to 3.01 shouldnt cost too much and the additional features are well worth it.

Use Reason 3.0 as part of my studio setup. Tend to use the insturments as plugins in Logic Pro.
My mate cried when i showed him reason, after having spent thousands on equipement only for it to replicate them. It doesnt replace the studio but it does a damn good job and at a very reasonable price :)

ScoobyDoo555 15 August 2006 10:38 PM

Yeh - it's a good package, but in the grabnd scheme of things, it's the tip of the iceberg. And here is where people give it more credit than it deserves.

The BIG issue with it is that Reason has a signiture sound - you can tell it a mile off (like a strat, or a marshall, or whatever)

This is why it's a good tool to have as an addition to everything else ;)

But it is VERY good value for money, and teaches some good basics.

The one I'm playing with at the moment is Spectrasonics Stylus RMX :eek: :cool:

Lot of money, and needs major processing power, but worth every bit!! :D

Dan

GaryK 16 August 2006 10:44 AM

Yeah the spectrasonics stuff rocks Dan, I got atmosphere a while back and just spent weeks listening to the presets, it came on five CDs and the library is hooge!

ScoobyDoo555 16 August 2006 04:31 PM

Got that one too :cool:

Great stuff, albeit somewhat processor intensive :D

Dan

RMA26 16 August 2006 04:37 PM

I use Cubase, Reason, Sonic, Fruityloops

All are good, Cubase can be a bitch tho!

bob269 16 August 2006 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by RMA26
I use Cubase, Reason, Sonic, Fruityloops

All are good, Cubase can be a bitch tho!

I've found Cakewalk to be more user friendly than Cubase, not tried a recent version tho :)

ScoobyDoo555 16 August 2006 04:57 PM

Had all the Cubases up to the latest (for approval purposes) - use a Mac, and from preference, I use Logic Pro 7.2 :)

Dan

GaryK 17 August 2006 11:06 AM

for sequencing I use Tracktion (now bought by Mackie) its awesome everything all on one screen and very intuitive and cross platform (windows and mac)

Gary

wez_sti 17 August 2006 11:51 AM

Cheers guys, some interesting comments

seems its more widely used than i expected!

I imagine a studio is 10 times better, but i dont have the moeny/skills/space for that!

Was considering getting a Oxygen USB keyboard, quite simple but its a start!

DJ Dunk 17 August 2006 12:04 PM

Does the job, I have the M-Audio Oxygen 8 v1 keyboard.