ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Help me with my broadband questions please... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/535922-help-me-with-my-broadband-questions-please.html)

nathanb 13 August 2006 02:40 PM

Help me with my broadband questions please...

I have a couple of questions I would like advice on please. A bit of background 1st. I am currently with Tiscali for my broadband but I am planning on changing provider when my contract expires 16th OCT. Also I am moving house in the next 4 weeks. My plan was to leave my broadband running in my current house ( cos I'm tied in to a 12 month contract) and starting with my new provider in my new address. I know I'll have to pay 2 providers temporarily but i have no choice . My 2 questions are:

1) Is there an easier way of doing the above or is that the simplest way?

2) I need to save all my old e mails on from Tiscali when I move house. How can I do this? I need them for reference because I use my e mail to work from home. Can I save them to the PC or a disk? I dont even know if this is possible!!

Sorry if these are very basic questions but I'm still new to the world of computers!!

Thanks in advance!:thumb:

GCollier 13 August 2006 06:30 PM

Why not just tell Tiscali that you're moving, live with them in your new place for a month and then migrate to your new ISP after your contract expires?

Leaving your old broadband active at your old house will cause grief for the people moving into it, as the line will be marked ADSL enabled and BT will reject any requests from the new occupier's ISP to enable broadband for them. It may also cause grief for you if you're staying in the same locality - same exchange, moving your phone number etc.

Gary.

shooter007 13 August 2006 07:08 PM

if you have an idea of which isp your going to try ring them and ask if you can migrate your emails or if they have a solution

nathanb 13 August 2006 07:41 PM

I was going to move tiscali over to the new house but they take 20 bloody days to reconnect my BB. This will cause me massive problems as I need to be reachable by e mail every day. Maybe I can cancel my BB with tiscali but still pay for the remaining 2 months. That way by internet will be cancelled but tiscali wont lose out. Then I can just move ISP with my new house. I'm changing my number also so a new ISP wont be a problem.

Also, any idea's on saving my old e mail? Is it possible?

Many thanks

nathanb 14 August 2006 02:10 PM

bttt

hutton_d 14 August 2006 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by nathanb

1) Is there an easier way of doing the above or is that the simplest way?

2) I need to save all my old e mails on from Tiscali when I move house. How can I do this? I need them for reference because I use my e mail to work from home. Can I save them to the PC or a disk? I dont even know if this is possible!!

:

1) Easiest way IMHO is to just choose the best provider in your eyes for your new house and sign up with them.

2) Your question implies that all your email is stored on Tiscali servers and not on your home PC. Correct? By that I mean, do you read the mail via a web browser (thus kept on the server) or via, say, Outlook Express/Outlook on your PC (thus *probably* stored on your PC)? If the latter then you will have all your email anyway. If the former then start to use Outlook and get it downloaded asap.
Then a) just swap to your new ISP and change your Outlook settings to read your new mail address when you have it or b) in my view the best way if you need email all the time is to register your own domain thus having a non-changing email address. That way you only need to change your mail settings for the outgoing mail server to the new ISP every time.

There was a thread on this recently so do a search ....

Hope that helps.

Dave

jaytc2003 14 August 2006 04:21 PM

as above, choose the best provider. If you you web based email, then you could set up a free yahoo account, email everything to that and you can then access them when you have your new bb set up.

nathanb 14 August 2006 06:01 PM

Cracking idea's guys. Thanks v much. Yeah I am with tiscali's e mail and not outlook. I'm not too bright when it comes to pc's. I've had mine 6 months and still learning.

dowser 15 August 2006 09:07 AM

Something like the Mozilla Thunderbird email client is pretty flexible for downloading all your email archives from web based email (you could download all mail now, then with new provider just do a monthly archive), but you'll probably find Tiscali webmail interface also has the ability to export email - just be sure to choose a format your new email client (web or local based) can understand. Make sure you do it well before you cancel Tiscali account - they'll just blow your data away :)